Aller au contenu

Pont Jacques-Cartier: informations, discussion générale et actualités

Habsfan

Messages recommendés

I by chance came across the bridge all lit up last night as I was coming back from the Village. It looked great! I just wish I had my DSLR with me. At that time it was purple with rain drop effects on the side. Loved it! It's going to be quite a showcase for the city. Anyone know if the middle section will be lit up too when it is officially unveiled? I'm presuming so but you never know. It's like a missing link at the moment. Maybe they're waiting for the full unveiling to show everything. Regardless it looks teriffic.

Please enlighten us. What exactly do you find incredibly tacky?

Illuminating a structure can be undertaken in a tasteful manner, highlighting the interesting architectural elements. I have absolutely no problem with the ambient lighting but I find the strips to not only detract from a beautiful structure but also add too much "look at me!!!" effect for my liking. It isn't Eiffel Tower tacky but all that's missing is a few strobe lights. I'm of the opinion that a metropolis needs LESS light pollution.

Again, this is my opinion even if it runs contrary to what's popular.

A buildings relationship with light can vary depending on the source or medium used (natural celestial, fire torches, skylights, stained glass or simple projectors). The effects differ depending on the particular factors that affect the method used Therefore some outcomes are more controlled than others, but in reality none are truly static in the pure sense. The majority of iconic monuments have lights projected onto them to bring out certain specific features. You set up the lights once and that specific projection becomes more or less permanent or stable over time. We are more used to and comfortable with this effect since it is still the most common method used,

Fast forward to the present

Technology and dynamic lightng now make it posible to bring out different aspects of these structures and to make them come alive and react to data, As in this project, the ambient lighting and other factors will be incorporated in such a way that the bridge will not only come alive, but it will also speak or communicate this data to observers in a visual manner. I find this quite incredible and innovative. As it becomes more and more accessible, artificial intelligence can even run 'the show' all by itself. On the other hand the administrators can always overide the message being projected and opt for a more subtle effect, but having all the options open is a big plus.

I can understand those who long for the tried and true approach, but this seems to be the trend now and Moment Factory and other companies specializing in this technology don't seem to be running out of clients. Even some famous churches and cathedrals are opting for this type of lighting. (Is nothing sacred?). I think that some people will initially relate to this as a 'disco lights' approach but I would ask them to remain open to this approach and to reserve judgement until the final setup. Their opinion may evolve once they experience the finished product. If we are to believe what is being communicated by the creators of this project, they are accomplishing something that has never been done on this scale. For that reason alone, Montrealers should be proud.

Modifié par IluvMTL