Aller au contenu
publicité

Autoroute 10 (Bonaventure - portion au nord du canal (boul. urbain))

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

publicité
Economic growth would require that new companies establish themselves in Montréal and employ currently unemployed Montrealers. How will this project do this?

I can't believe you're actually asking this... i would think that it's a little obvious! If a new space is cleaned up, promoted and incentivized, there will be growth. If a space is a shit hole, nobody will go there. (They might go to Terrebonne instead.)

This is excluding the construction workers that will directly be employed by this massive project.

Precisely. This project is economic development at the core! This will spur growth, employ many people, etc.

See what i wrote below :

If you place importance on greater sustainable economic growth, intelligent urban planning based on tried-and-tested methods, improving quality of life and restoring a cohesive fabric to south-downtown, then this project is unquestionably in the need category.

In which way does intelligent urban planning spur economic growth? Whose lives are we improving the quality of with this project? Most businessmen don't give a shit about 'cohesive fabric' of a city.

There's plenty of room on René-Lévesque Ouest to expand downtown. There's no need to go south, only a want.

In which way does intelligent urban planning spur economic growth? Whose lives are we improving the quality of with this project? Most businessmen don't give a shit about 'cohesive fabric' of a city.

There's plenty of room on René-Lévesque Ouest to expand downtown. There's no need to go south, only a want.

You're really not reading what i'm saying, at all. I just answered you, quite specifically. I'll say again: If a new space is cleaned up, promoted and incentivized, there will be growth. If a space is a shit hole, nobody will go there. (They might go to Terrebonne instead.)

Furthermore i'd like to remind you this project is part of a 2025 vision. There might be vacant lots on René-Lévesque now, but in 16 years, perhaps not. By then, we'll be happy to have laid the groundwork for expansion to the south, instead of playing "catch up".

It's called forward thinking and not just planning for the present. Give it a try sometime!

You're really not reading what i'm saying, at all. I just answered you, quite specifically. I'll say again: If a new space is cleaned up, promoted and incentivized, there will be growth. If a space is a shit hole, nobody will go there. (They might go to Terrebonne instead.)

Furthermore i'd like to remind you this project is part of a 2025 vision. There might be vacant lots on René-Lévesque now, but in 16 years, perhaps not. By then, we'll be happy to have laid the groundwork for expansion to the south, instead of playing "catch up".

It's called forward thinking and not just planning for the present. Give it a try sometime!

Wow, ok. Since I'm so backwards thinking, maybe I should go back and choose to not get into this conversation with you.

BTW, when I say that I want economic growth for Montréal, I don't mean at the expense of Terrebonne. I want economic growth at the expense of competing metro areas like Ottawa, Toronto, and various american/international cities.

Wow, ok. Since I'm so backwards thinking, maybe I should go back and choose to not get into this conversation with you.

Please don't lower yourself by resorting to petty sarcasm, it is unbecoming of you. I absolutely cherish discussion and intelligent debate, but if you're going to act childishly, perhaps you should indeed refrain, as you suggest. You asked me a question and i answered you twice. If you don't understand something in my answer, or my position is unclear to you, i'll be happy to elaborate, provide more details, answer any questions, justify my thoughts, and so on. If on the other hand you don't agree with my answer, that's your prerogative and simply leave it at that.

Finally, i didn't insinuate you were backwards thinking, but your viewpoint suggests you are at the very least present-thinking, certainly not as bad, but definitely not mindful of the future. I see no reason to retract that comment when evidence, in the form of your postings, doesn't suggest the contrary.

BTW, when I say that I want economic growth for Montréal, I don't mean at the expense of Terrebonne. I want economic growth at the expense of competing metro areas like Ottawa, Toronto, and various american/international cities.

Ah, but why are we discussing competing metros? What does that have to do with this discussion? Yes, on a larger scale, this project's relative/perceived impact is obviously diminished, but in no way left unjustifiable. This project is not a silver bullet to dramatically increase our competitiveness with other metropolitan areas, but no project ever is. What this project will do, is lure interest, economic activity and growth in downtown Montreal. It will attract prospective developers away from the outlying suburbs back to the central city. It is interesting to note, however, that by redefining the central city as a vibrant, active and exciting place to do business, we will ultimately attract foreign investment and interest. This will increase our effectiveness at competing with other metropolitan areas! Win-win? I think so, and so does city hall, but only time will tell.

Though the grounding of the Bonaventure autoroute is a desirable thing much like its transformation into an urban boulevard, the planning behind this project fails to address the different types of vehicular traffic arriving into town. These cars and commercial vehicles can be categorized into two categories:

1) transitory traffic, and

2) local traffic

The first category of drivers will use the urban boulevard as a through-way, towards their ultimate destination (esat of city, outremont, tmr, etc), while the second category will branch off the urban boulevard to reach their point of destination within the new downtown core (multimedia city, old mtl, griffintown, faubourg des recollets, etc). Each one of these categories have different needs with regards to the roads they travel on.

It would have been nice to see the SHM address these needs by splitting the two traffic types once they reach the montreal entrance. The transitory traffic can use an underground cut-and-cover solution, connecting it to the ville-marie. This would allow a true "vie de quartier" to develop above ground as the local traffic would no longer need a wide, 8-laned boulevard to accomodate it. This would also permit the buildings at the center of the boulevard to widen out their footprints and in doing so, accomodate more offices, commerces, and residences.:highfive:

Publié le 19 septembre 2009 à 11h33 | Mis à jour le 19 septembre 2009 à 11h36

Autoroute Bonaventure: la Ville va de l'avant

109652.jpg

L'administration du maire Gérald Tremblay a confié, cette semaine, à la... (Photo: David Boily, La Presse)

Agrandir

Photo: David Boily, La Presse

Éric Clément

La Presse

L'administration du maire Gérald Tremblay a confié, cette semaine, à la Société du Havre de Montréal (SHM) le soin de réaliser les plans et devis de l'aménagement du futur corridor Dalhousie qui fera partie du réaménagement du quartier Bonaventure.

Le projet est très important pour le maire Gérald Tremblay, qui compte peu de réalisations immobilières d'envergure durant son second mandat. Ce dossier battait de l'aile cet été à cause de l'Agence métropolitaine de transport qui renâclait à soutenir le projet auprès du gouvernement du Québec et à cause de fonctionnaires de la Ville de Montréal peu enclins à le mettre en oeuvre rapidement.

Le maire Tremblay et le responsable du Plan de transport, de l'aménagement urbain, du patrimoine et du design, le conseiller municipal André Lavallée, ont finalement pesé de tout leur poids pour «donner la priorité au transport collectif et actif dans ce qui sera le futur quartier Bonaventure», ont-ils déclaré de concert.

La SHM disposera d'un budget de près de 2,6 millions pour coordonner les études requises à l'exécution de son mandat. Les plans et devis devront être finalisés avant le 31 mars 2011. Le coût total de la réalisation du corridor de transport collectif Dalhousie est estimé à 86 millions. Ce corridor vise à faire circuler plus rapidement les autobus métropolitains provenant de la Rive-Sud jusqu'au terminus Centre-ville et dans le sens inverse.