Aller au contenu

Royalmount

denpanosekai

Messages recommendés

Ce n'est jamais simple d'introduire des réformes fiscales majeures ayant pour but d'infléchir les comportements et les choix.  Outre la résistance naturelle au changement, il faut tenir compte des effets redistributifs (les gagnants et les perdants, par classe de revenu et d'occupation) ainsi que de l'état de la concurrence (les régions et les pays voisins).  Finalement, il est hautement souhaitable que le régime soit simple et facile à appliquer: on ne veut pas d'une armée de bureaucrates employés à colliger, vérifier, analyser et déterminer les montants des différentes taxes appliquables.  

Le principe d'utilisateur-payeur est séduisant, mais sa performance est médiocre en regard des considérations précédentes.  On peut aussi noter que les taxes appliquées sur l'essence constituent déjà une approximation du principe, mais bénéficiant d'une vertu peu commune: sa simplicité.

Plus on introduit de mesures particulières, plus on complexifie, et plus on ouvre la porte à des distorsions et à un potentiel de fraudes.  

• Like 1

Le 2018-12-20 à 01:15, Djentmaster001 a dit :

Time for the city to make downtown (all covered by the downtown strategy) into an economic zone (i.e fewer taxes, more incentives). More residents + more businesses and improved transit + fewer taxes + add at least one or two underground/above ground parking lots (7-10 floors) and downtown will be fine. I'd also attract more large festivals and nightlife as well, especially since retail is dying anyways. Royalmount seems more to compete with Dix-30/suburban malls rather than downtown, but downtown has to be bold and compete with all. I would also extend this plan to Le Plateau as well. If the downtown core keeps booming the way it is now, it'll be fine. 

I second you on this one. They should stop whining about whatever project is being built in the outskirt of the city and start thinking pro business for the downtown core and the surrounding neighborhoods. Improved transit plus fewer taxes and regulations, some underground parking lots and it will be fine. There is nothing like downtown anyway. Just give the merchants a break for god sake !

• Like 2

il y a 34 minutes, steve_36 a dit :

If the downtown core keeps booming the way it is now

...Then it is not in dire need of further assistance from the broader community (unless what you are really saying is that downtown is in danger of decline/decay).  Of course, the City  can  improve transit and take various other measures facilitating access, but giving special tax treatment and exemptions from (some) regulations would appear to be anathema.  Furthermore,  the City's powers are quite limited: the most important fiscal instruments are in the hands of the federal and provincial governments.  If Canadian cities' central cores were dilapidated while suburbs were thriving,  then perhaps special measures/programs would be warranted/justified.  I can hardly believe this is the case now.  On the contrary,  new social trends have made these areas the most sought after.

Merchants, and others, would always love lower taxes.  It is true that for some, the higher tax burden downtown and the resulting higher rents, are making their operations less and less profitable; stores have closed down and others will follow, despite (and also perhaps because) downtown is booming.  There is a simple, somewhat cruel response to that: they no longer belong to an area which has litterally become  "exclusive".   They have the option of moving to less expensive areas which are more attuned to the goods and services they offer, OR upgrade.

Before we blame the City for high taxes and the resulting high rents, bear this in mind: taxes are high because property assessments are high; and these are high because there is a demand at this price level.  

Booming, like growing, is not without pain.  

• Like 1

I just don’t get why people are pushing so much for a residential phase to the project. Do you guys understand how damaging it his for people’s health to live under 500 m of that particular type of expressway? This is a major public health issue that seems to completely fly over YIMBYS and density proponents. I’m all for efficiently development the area with commercial and office development, but asking people to live there is just irresponsible.

• Thanks 1

Il y a 2 heures, macha a dit :

I just don’t get why people are pushing so much for a residential phase to the project. Do you guys understand how damaging it his for people’s health to live under 500 m of that particular type of expressway? This is a major public health issue that seems to completely fly over YIMBYS and density proponents. I’m all for efficiently development the area with commercial and office development, but asking people to live there is just irresponsible.

Isn’t it already the case in the area with the triangle, westbury qnd many others ? Same thing along the met especially from Ahuntsic to Anjou. 

Toronto ?  Same thing along the Gardinier expressway and the 401.

Bref Royalmount wouldn’t be the first. If it was that bad i think we would know 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, macha said:

You are 100% right, but in a larger extent, air has never been this clean... and in the futur, highways will be driven by electric power. 

• Like 2

Il y a 18 heures, ScarletCoral a dit :

Une étape fort intéressante qui ajoutera une dose de démocratie dans un dossier qui est loin de faire l'unanimité sur l'ile. On verra ce qui ressortira de ces consultations et qu'elles seront démarches que la Ville et les arrondissements concernés entameront par la suite des recommandations (24 janvier 2019), en vue d'obtenir des changements ou des amendements substantiels au projet Royalmount.

Cet exercise était devenu incontournable, afin de faire toute la lumière sur les éventuelles conséquences du méga projet et ses effets à long terme, non seulement sur les transports, mais aussi sur l'équilibre et la santé financière de différentes industries montréalaises directement touchées. On parle notamment du développement domiciliaire du secteur, qui pourrait être gravement entravé par un accroissement nuisible de la circulation tout le long de l'axe Décarie. 

Donc histoire à suivre, puisque ces consultations pourraient nous réserver d'intéressantes surprises sur l'avenir du mégacentre commercial. Qu'on le veuille ou pas, l'impact de ce projet gigantesque exige d'abord un niveau d'acceptabilité sociale élevé. Ensuite que les industries affectées (commerces, habitations, divertissements, bureaux, hôtels et salles de spectacles) soient en mesure de soutenir une telle concurrence sans nuire à leur propre viabilité à long terme.

Par conséquent Montréal a pris la bonne décision de consulter ouvertement une foule d'intervenants afin d'avoir l'heure juste dans ces futures décisions. Elle évite ainsi d'être prise devant un fait accompli, tout en s'assurant qu'elle tirera les meilleurs avantages possibles d'une éventuelle collaboration avec le promoteur. Une chose demeure, avant d'investir des sommes considérables en infrastructures diverses, la Ville n'a d'autre choix que de s'assurer que son investissement lui garantira le maximum de retombées économiques sur son propre territoire.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ScarletCoral said:

Entrevue sur différents projets à venir avec Jean-Claude Marsan, prof d'architecture à l'UdeM. 
De la page FB de l'émission radio Le 15-18

Merci du partage ScarletCoral! Bref, le REM est une bonne chose mais aurait pu être un peu mieux intégré ou optimisé, tandis que le Royalmount promet d'être une catastrophe! Intéressante entrevue!