Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

alright, i thought i'd through that one out there, half as attempt "seed" the idea and spur an honest debate, and half as uh well, blatant trolling:

what do you think would need to happen / be spent for montreal to hold superbowl 51 for it's 2017 "celebrations" ? or perhaps as a side discussion, how fair do you think toronto's chances would be if they threw a bid for it ? 2017 being, you know, the 150th year of confederation and all ..

in any case, i think it'd be a much better idea than hosting another world's fair ..... how much money is to be spent on that monorail, anyway ?

publicité

i answered my own question:

Radio Canada reported the monorail would cost $185 million and would run for about 10 kilometres, between Place Bonaventure and the two islands.

i don't think you could argue 200 millions dollars wouldn't bring the big O up to superbowl standards. or if you think you can, i'd like to hear it ... ..

hosting a NFL game in montreal is one thing, feasable if a promoter is willing to take the financial risk (NFL revenue sharing comes partly from gates revenues being split to a certain % to the "home" team and the "away" team. If you want such a game to be a success, and convice teams to play that game here, they need to be assured of revenues at least as big as they would generate at home (and at the same time, the away team would get the same amount)

Also, as far as I know, the superbowl has never been hosted outside of an NFL team city, hosting it in montreal would cost a lot more, if even possible.

For the olympic stadium being Superbowl ready, i don't think much is needed, a revamp of the players room, a nice playing field turd, maybe a corporate suite overhaul, otherwise, not much more should be needed (other than a guarantee that the game can be hosted no matter what the outside conditions are in february and the past weeks)

Modifié par WestAust

as much as i hate to admit it, you guys are probably right. but if it did ever happen, i cant imagine how montreal could get higher exposure in america and abroad. so lets keep dreamin!

about it ever getting hosted on canada, imagine this not so far fetched scenario:

1- 2012, toronto is awared a franchise to start in 2012-13, conditional that a regulation sized venue be built within 5 years.

2- strong with the coming of nfl football to canada, the federal government is ready to consider subsidizing the cost of a brand new nfl venue, but only if the city is awared the 51st super bowl to celebrate canada's 150th anniversary in style.

3- the league awards the superbowl to toronto, theyll have their own party for 50th in 2016 anyway. funding is secured, the new 85000 seater, billion dollar stadium gets underway.

4- february 2017, the 51st super bowl is held in toronto

5- construction commences on altoria

(:rolleyes:)

It sounds cool but it seems almost aside to see a Super Bowl in Montreal or even Canada :) Has there been a Canadian-hosted Super Bowl (not Grey Cup) before?

Now better than the monorail, well that is for sure, even Pauline Marois' silent-flush toilet was better investment :rotfl:

i doubt it's ever been held anywhere else other than the us. i thought maybe it had been held in mexico once, but that might ve just been a regular game. i looked it up, and all i could find was talk of having a in the UK "some time in the future".

i'm just saying the time may be ripe for something like that. maybe not in montreal, but if i were in toronto, i'd root for it like there's no tomorrow. i don't think there's ever been, or may ever be, a better window for the nfl to make a move up north. plus, a super bowl in canada wouldn't so much "further" or "colder" than one in detroit, buffalo, or green bay. hell, tens of millions of americans are within a day's drive of toronto.

as for montreal, well, getting it to happen on the other end of the 401 first might be a necessary evil for us to ever get it. it's the new reality, i suppose, a little bit like how, back in the 60s, toronto would've never gotten a major league baseball team before they tried it on us, first.

First of all.. what the hell does the Superbowl have to do with Montréal, Québec, or even Canada? Why would you want to celebrate a major anniversary by importing some (cheesey) foreign sports thingy?

Second.. the Superbowl attracts 100+ million viewers, but 95% of them are North American. It's hardly a world sport, despite the spin that the NFL puts on it (a billion viewers lol!) Formula One is way more important.. us being the only North Amrican stop, and one of the favourites on the tour. In 2005, the Montréal Grand Prix was the 3rd most watched sporting event in the world. It always draws huge numbers worldwide. It's the biggest international event in Canada

Third.. the NFL will NEVER hold a Super Bowl outside of the U.S: not when they have 30 team cities lined up for the game. Give your head a shake!

Fourth.. Toronto has no plans, probably never will have any plans, to build a new stadium... definately not by 2012, 2013. Even if they did plan to build a new stadium as of right now, it would still take at least 10 years. Given the fact that the NFL in Toronto is an absolute failure thus far, don't expect to see them there anytime soon.

Fifth.. WTF does our anniversary have anything to do with some cheeseball, one day, U.S. sporting event??

football is a foreign sport? funny, i thought it originated from mcgill university.. obviously you have a thing against north american culture; perhaps youre forgetting you are yourself, a north american?

in any case, you bit right into my throll; i never said i thought there was a serious possibility for it - im not delusional.. even if i think you have a bit of a closed minded towards the question, i can't say that youre wrong.

After re-reading my post, I can't see where I stated that 'football was a foreign sport'. Perhaps you can enlighten me? Hosting the Super Bowl, however, as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Expo, 150th anniversary of Canada, 375th anniversary of Montréal? Where exactly the fuck does that fit in? What kind of loser proposition is that?