Canadiens de Montréal

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

publicité
  • 2 semaines plus tard...

Canadiens' Gainey leaves door open for big trade

By PAT HICKEY, The Gazette

August 4, 2009

MONTREAL — I called general manager Bob Gainey Monday and received the usual message:

"Hi, this is Bob Gainey. I'm not in. You can leave a message, but don't expect a call back until I do something."

There's no reason to expect a call from Gainey, who was busy last month. He said goodbye to 10 unrestricted free agents and brought in seven new bodies.

The roster appears set with 20 players under contract and about $2 million left to sign restricted free agents Matt D'Agostini and Gregory Stewart.

So why are there all the rumours about an impending trade and some expensive, big-name players?

Perhaps it's because Gainey himself left the door open on July 1 when he announced the first wave of acquisitions and said he had until October to find the elusive big centre.

Or maybe it's because the salary cap and Dany Heatley's desire to be traded have set forces in motion.

The most common rumour involves a hockey ménage à trois involving San Jose, Ottawa and the Canadiens. The bottom line is Montreal gets big centre Patrick Marleau; Heatley goes to San Jose and Ottawa gets Tomas Plekanec and Jaroslav Halak and/or Roman Hamrlik.

The problem is that the numbers don't add up. All three teams are up against the cap and, while Ottawa and San Jose would get much need relief by dumping Heatley and Marleau, they'd be in the same mess by adding contracts.

There is one scenario that could make sense for the Canadiens if they are interested in Marleau. He carries a $6.3-million cap hit and Montreal could account for most of that by trading Plekanec, who would be redundant, and Andrei Kostitsyn, who could be the next Mike Ribeiro.

Plekanec eaarns $2.75 million and Kostitsyn makes $3.25 million.

But, as long as we're dealing with rumours, I'd like to propose a daring deal guaranteed to produce a Stanley Cup contender: Let's swap the Canadiens straight up for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Gainey n'a pas le choix de tenter une autre grosse transaction car il est évident que l'équipe qu'il a sous la main ne lui assure meme pas une place dans les séries et que le nombre de joueurs québécois est de beaucoup trop inférieur à ce que la population demande.

Pour moi, si Marleau, Tanguay et/ou un autre québécois ne sont pas signé c'est bye bye la visite et je soit je délaisse le hockey ou soit je me tourne vers Pittsburgh, Boston etc...

Trop de bon joueur québécois n'ont pas été repechés et trop de joueur utiles ont été échangés pour des raisons obscures.

Vivement un club à Québec pour pousser dans le cul....

Patrick Marleau n'est pas québécois pour 2 cents, il est né en saskatchewan, as joué son hockey junior dans l'ouest, et ne parle probablement pas français, ou a peine.

Il n'as de francophone que le nom.