Aller au contenu

Montreal's Time Square

Mondo_Grosso

Messages recommendés

Il y a 8 heures, Mondo_Grosso a dit :

I know that many of you are against Montreal having it's own version of Time Square, but the point of this post is not to debate that. Rather, it's to look at potential locations if we had to chose one.

Based on examples like Time Square in New York, Shibuya District in Tokyo,  Piccadilly Circus in London, Dundas Square in Toronto, I defined my own criteria as:

• Must be by an open area
  • Must be close to commercial sector
  • Must be accessible by metro

At that, I have come up with Square Concordia, this is the area today:

Concor.PNG

Here is why I think that this is the ideal area:

• There are 3 large blind walls for the screens
  • High density of 24/hour restaurants and bars
  • High levels of foot traffic at all times
  • Proximity to various festivals

There are already renovated squares on each side of the street. The pedestrian area could be expanded to the parking lot on the right. There's a back lane in the lower right corner where food trucks could enter by and park in the square. A stage could also be setup there for events like Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival, Fantasia Film Festival, etc.

areal.PNG

Highlighted in green are areas where a screen could go, solid green are screens on top of buildings, the yellow is where I would put food trucks or a stage:

final2.PNG

final.png

These type of squares a great tourist attractions, both Toronto and New York list them at the top of tourist attractions. I also think that having a second public area in the west of downtown for smaller festivals would be a great compliment to the bigger festivals east at Place Des Festivals.

Let me know what you think, if you have another suggestion, please share. Thank you for reading!

Nice work ! This would definetely be a nice attraction in the downtown core and the restaurants and shops around would definetely benefit from it. If we want the downtown to stay attractive we need more things than just the Sainte Catherine and the Quartier des Spectacles which is mostly vibrant during the summer. However, I dont see how it could happen in the near future.. Maybe with the younger generations.  Thank you for your vision.

• Like 1

I actually wrote the city about this subject .... a while back .  I gave them drawings of corner McGill college and St-Catherine with ads and stuff... The reply was we are not looking to do anything like this, yet I think my project would of been nice ... I will see in my emails if I can show you my pitch years ago ....

• Like 1

J'ai toujours eu cette même impression que toi @Mondo_Grosso, au coin Maisonneuve/Guy. Bravo pour ton travail! Ceci dit, je ne suis pas certain de la pertinence de gros panneaux lumineux. Ce qui pourrait être intéressant, vu les grands murs aveugles, ce serait des murales temporaires ou encore des projections artistiques.

• Like 1

I've always had the same idea for this sector, as I'm around here every day. With that said, we need something unique, not a place with 60 LED boards with the same advertisement (like Toronto). The walls could be used for wall projections/art, that empty space for concerts like you said, and if this becomes a "times square" all bars/restos must be open 24/7. The alleyways can also be converted into an outdoor urban art gallery with multiple murals + outdoor markets in the summertime.