Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

publicité
Oh, please! I'm all for maintaining the monarchy, but that argument is silly and frankly insulting. There are other ways of justifying the continuation of the monarchy without implying that English Canadian revolves around it and nothing else.

I prefer a monarchical system because it places our head of state above the crassness of politics. While it is rare that the Queen or Governor General make use of their reserve power, it's happened as recently as this year. And I find it comforting that our head of state can make important decisions based on the best interest of the country and on the preservation of our constitutional practices, rather than on partisan motives.

Dieu protège la Reine!

Quand est-ce que ce pouvoir a été utilisé et pourquoi ???

Quand est-ce que ce pouvoir a été utilisé et pourquoi ???

Seule la Reine, ou le Gouverneur Général, peut dissoudre ou proroger un parlement. Normalement, le souverain ou son représentant approuve la recommandation du Premier Ministre. Mais ce n'est pas toujours le cas. Quand Harper a voulu proroger le parlement pour éviter de se faire défaire par les partis d'opposition, la Gouverneur Générale lui a exigé des explications et l'a gardé chez elle pendant près de deux heures avant qu'elle n'approuve.

Si elle avait refusé (et c'était son droit), elle aurait eu le choix d'inviter Stéphane Dion à former un gouvernement avec le NPD ou provoquer des élections anticipées. Comme le Parti libéral et le NDP, ensemble, avaient moins de sièges que le Parti conservateur et qu'elle croyait sans doute qu'il était trop tôt pour renvoyer les Canadiens aux urnes, elle a décidé d'accepter le moindre mal: la prorogation du parlement. Ce qui a permis à cette idée de coalition de perdre son élan. Comme Mme. Jean n'est pas élue, et qu'elle ne représente aucun parti politique, c'est l'intérêt du pays qui prime au dessus des intérêts partisans.

Si on avait eu un président élu, l'inverse se serait produit.

Alors, encore une fois: Dieu protège la Reine ! Vive la Reine !

Modifié par saturnus85

As an American, I see the monarchy as "quaint". Canada has evolved slowly from a colony to an independent country. Confederation in 1867 was merely a formality. Canada was still a virtual colony of Britain: British citizenship and passports, no embassies or consulates etc. This lasted well into the 20th century. It seems that Britain was letting Canada pretend to be a country for a long time after Confederation.

If the USA had not been anti-Catholic in 1776, Québec may have joined in the Revolution and could be an independent French speaking country today! OR, Quebec could be just another English speaking state with a lot of French ethnics living there.

If the USA had not been anti-Catholic in 1776, Québec may have joined in the Revolution and could be an independent French speaking country today! OR, Quebec could be just another English speaking state with a lot of French ethnics living there.

Or Americans would be speaking French now....:D

Awesome Canada Day!

Girlfriend and I:

1. went to the parade on Sainte-Catherine St.

2. had free cake at Phillips Sq.

3. walked around old port, saw some motorcycle stunts and other cool stuff

4. went to the jazz fest and saw a wicked show at 6pm

5. saw the Boogie Wonder Band's free concert back at Old Port

6. enjoyed the fireworks

J'adore cette ville. Il y a toujours des choses à faire. Il y a toujours de la vie.

VIVE MONTRÉAL!

:goodvibes::highfive:

Awesome Canada Day!

Girlfriend and I:

1. went to the parade on Sainte-Catherine St.

2. had free cake at Phillips Sq.

3. walked around old port, saw some motorcycle stunts and other cool stuff

4. went to the jazz fest and saw a wicked show at 6pm

5. saw the Boogie Wonder Band's free concert back at Old Port

6. enjoyed the fireworks

J'adore cette ville. Il y a toujours des choses à faire. Il y a toujours de la vie.

VIVE MONTRÉAL!

:goodvibes::highfive:

Good stuff! I just went to the old port had a great time.