Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

You may have noticed police test-driving a few around town already, but Montreal can expect 145 more 2013 Dodge Chargers to be added to the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal fleet in the coming weeks, as city council approved the purchase at a Aug. 20 meeting.

Awarding a $3,994,294.74 contract to Pie IX Dodge Chrysler 3000 inc., city hall decided to invest in the Chargers after police took some for a test drive over the last few months.

Their old ride, the Crown Victoria is going out of production, and the Chargers beat out the Ford Interceptor and the Impala during their test run as the brotherhood’s top pick.

SPVM Commander Ian Lafrenière said the new cars are coming after a few years’ hiatus on new vehicle purchases due to budget constraints. The City of Montreal, he said, will be auctioning off the old police cars.

There are approximately 600 patrol cars currently in circulation on Montreal streets and between 1,200 to 1,700 others, including minivans, motorcycles and unmarked vehicles, said Lafrenière, adding that their fleet is about a third of the size of the Sûreté du Québec.

The perks of the Charger besides drivability, he continued, was that the rear seats have more room for suspects and the cushions are not fabric but plastic, “making it impossible to hide stuff and easy to wash out any blood, vomit and things like that.”

When asked for a reaction of citizens being pulled over by something other than the old Crown Vic, Lafrenière laughed. “No one says, ‘I’m so happy to get a ticket from a Charger,’” adding that citizens have posed a lot of questions and seem to like the new cars as much as the police.

“A lot of people believe this car is expensive because they look good, and they do, but they’re also cheaper than the Crown Victoria,” he explained. The Chargers run anywhere from $31,345 to $49,595 a pop.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Montreal+police+Chargers/7123905/story.html#ixzz24F9CEr36

I saw one a few weeks back. I thought it was the SQ until I caught up with it at a light.

publicité