Aller au contenu
publicité

Messages recommendés

publicité
:eek2:

je comprends pas pourquoi tu es si attaché a la reine..

Je préfèrerais de beaucoup une république que d'être une colonie des britishs...

It is fairly hard to understand English Canada's support of the monarchy without actually being an English Canadian. The first English settlers in Canada were the United Empire Loyalists. From the very beginning English Canada has differentiated itself from the United States in retaining the reigning Monarch as our head of state. Being a Conservative, it is natural for me to defend the Canadian Monarchy, as we are the great defenders of Canada's history and traditions (which even includes British influence that others choose to ignore).

I don't want to lose any more of our heritage after having already lost the Canadian Red Ensign as our national flag and God Save the Queen as our national anthem (long before I was born). The Monarchy is the only remaining tie English Canadians share with our pre-Canada heritage (aside from native tongue that is).

With the abolition of the Canadian Monarchy, Canada would lose its constitutional raison d'etre and would have no reason to avoid union with the US. While I would prefer joining the US to Canada's becoming yet another republic, keeping (and, as much as possible, reclaiming) the old Canada strikes me as a much better idea.

I apologize for replying in English, but I can more effectively make my point in this language.

With the abolition of the Canadian Monarchy, Canada would lose its constitutional raison d'etre and would have no reason to avoid union with the US.

Oh, please! I'm all for maintaining the monarchy, but that argument is silly and frankly insulting. There are other ways of justifying the continuation of the monarchy without implying that English Canadian revolves around it and nothing else.

I prefer a monarchical system because it places our head of state above the crassness of politics. While it is rare that the Queen or Governor General make use of their reserve power, it's happened as recently as this year. And I find it comforting that our head of state can make important decisions based on the best interest of the country and on the preservation of our constitutional practices, rather than on partisan motives.

Dieu protège la Reine!

Oh, please! I'm all for maintaining the monarchy, but that argument is silly and frankly insulting. There are other ways of justifying the continuation of the monarchy without implying that English Canadian revolves around it and nothing else.

Sure there are minor differences here and there, but they are nothing more than the regional differences that exist within the US and Canada already. I should know, I am an 8th generation English Canadian with American relatives.

I prefer a monarchical system because it places our head of state above the crassness of politics. While it is rare that the Queen or Governor General make use of their reserve power, it's happened as recently as this year. And I find it comforting that our head of state can make important decisions based on the best interest of the country and on the preservation of our constitutional practices, rather than on partisan motives.

Dieu protège la Reine!

These are true points though.