Aller au contenu
publicité

Solstice - 44 étages

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

publicité

I have a question with regard to @acpnc’s post just above, and how adjacent areas will soon need to be planned for development. As there are no threads for Quartier des Gares or Quartier de la Montagne, it’s a question about that.

I’d like to understand why no air rights have been sold for development over the downtown railways since the 1950s? The Molson Centre cut the CP passenger lines to Windsor Station in the early 90s, without even developing a proper terminal within the project. Could the air rights over Lucien-l’Allier be sold for residential or multi-use construction as the area offers fewer and fewer properties ripe for development?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

I have a question with regard to @acpnc’s post just above, and how adjacent areas will soon need to be planned for development. As there are no threads for Quartier des Gares or Quartier de la Montagne, it’s a question about that.

I’d like to understand why no air rights have been sold for development over the downtown railways since the 1950s? The Molson Centre cut the CP passenger lines to Windsor Station in the early 90s, without even developing a proper terminal within the project. Could the air rights over Lucien-l’Allier be sold for residential or multi-use construction as the area offers fewer and fewer properties ripe for development?

Montreal doesn't use air rights, a lot owner cannot sell their right to build to someone else. Lots are zoned with a height limit and have a density ratio.

That’s why I asked, why hasn’t this been done since the downtown CN terminals were consolidated at Central Station (Gare Central)? The Queen E, PVM complex and Place Bonaventure were all built over the tracks similar to Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

On 2020-01-26 at 8:22 PM, internationalx said:

One hopes they would build over Gare L-L' (i.e. air rights) and maybe even create a proper, covered station below a tower... 

No, to the south of McDo... over the train station, over the metro station.  

I’m not the only one who thinks about this. It was a sin to deprecate Windsor Station’s purpose as a grand terminal station, but equally wrong was building Lucien-l’Allier terminal with zero regard for its status (or for its users, for that matter). A proper terminal, a couple of viaducts and phase one electrification to Meadowbrook so the ALP-45DPs can be put to full use, wouldn’t that be great?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SameGuy said:

That’s why I asked, why hasn’t this been done since the downtown CN terminals were consolidated at Central Station (Gare Central)? The Queen E, PVM complex and Place Bonaventure were all built over the tracks similar to Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

Well - the land is still owned by CP and any construction would have disrupted the train service. Plus - they dissolved themselves of a real estate arm by selling off Marathon and with so many free and under used lots in Montreal, financially it totally nonviable, the tracks aren't even covered in Toronto and the going rate per sqfoot there is almost double. The tracks were already buried for the construction of the CN Headquarters and the QueenE and the financial failure over the last 4 decades of Place Bonaventure is probably not going to convince anyone.