Aller au contenu

David McMillan Pens a Love Letter to Toronto

Messages recommendés

You know, I was firmly in this guy's corner.  His support for Montreal chefs, the outrage at the backwards dealings of the government and Joël Robuchon, his almost single-handed determination in revitalizing his little nook of Pointe St Charles....and the list goes on.  

Now his so-called "Love Letter to Toronto" comes out and to me at least he comes off as yet another 1980's era anglo (like myself!) who refuses to acknowledge the successes this city has seen over the last decade or so.  Let's call him a horse with blinders on.  He doubled down in an interview with CBC as well.   

I'll be completely honest; I DO think Toronto is the great Canadian food city for a number of reasons.  He is 100% right in that.  I have no problem with that at all.  What I take insult in is how he goes about extolling Toronto's virtues while going out of his way to slag Montreal.  I feel statements like this are completely unjustified, have no bearing on the health of our restaurant industry and simply validate the ill-founded and completely false preconceptions of Montreal by the Rest of Canada.  

I feel we may have lost the title in Montreal, due perhaps to the great exodus of corporations moving out to the greener pastures of Toronto

There haven't been many new restaurants. As far as competition, there hasn't been much growth

I'd say these days it's a hard city to live in. There's definitely corruption, definitely crumbling infrastructure, definitely lots of mismanagement of public funds, but not really incredible growth over the years.

Maybe I feel a bit too passionate about this since McMillan is a kind of hero to me; a guy who defended his city, his ideals and his neighborhood with every breath.  I'm shocked since it seems so out of character; not to love another city's food scene since I'm in agreement with that part. Rather he did so while making broad and contrived statements about this city.    

Also to say that there haven't been many new restaurants that offer competition over the last few years is incredibly snobbish and shortsighted.  I'm hoping the guys from newcomers like Hvor, Tiradito,  Agrikol, Candide, Le Fantome, Foxy, Hoogan and Beaufort, Le Mousso,  Provisions, Montreal Plaza and so many others bring this guy behind the woodshed and give him a stern talking to about the realities of this city outside his two-resto fiefdom.  

/ end rant  :shiftyeyes:

Where in that article is he making the points you're alluding to? This has truly become a joke at this point. 

Anyways, isnt this old news? http://www.lapresse.ca/vivre/gourmand/restaurants/201704/20/01-5090091-gastronomie-montreal-detrone-par-toronto.php

Who is this guy to be a reference in terms of policy and economic analysis?

Political cynicism is a global phenomenon. Come on man! People have to stop attributing everything to Montréal exceptionalism. Haven't you read about the elections in the USA or France. It's all about outsiders, draining the swamp, yada, yada, yada.  As for Toronto's unconditional love with their city... People in Toronto aren't THAT in love with their city from what I've seen. It's how it seems from the outside looking in, but a lot of people bad mouth the city, it's traffic, it's ridiculous cost of living, etc. Sure, people's ego soon use Toronto's financial dominance as a source of pride, but that is hardly the reason why people feel truly happy within a city.

Montréal isnt the only city that is divided along cultural-linguistic-religious lines. Try Bruxelles, Alexandria, Barcelona, Istanbul, Glasgow. Are these cities not wonderful because they arent uniform? The anglo narrative is soooo tiring. We get it, the anglo "model" is the best, "politically, judicially, artistically, businessly,...". Lord Durham said it then. The Canada : The story of us documentary is still saying it right now. Canada has always sought to unify under the awesomeness of anglo culture. Our constitution is based on it, our multiethnic society is based on it. Any resistance to that idea is just hard headed bad faith apparently. 

I get the message. But I dismiss, as I've always done, the empty rhetoric. Sure, Montréal is more "intense". And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. 

"Even now, as someone who has lived in Toronto for almost two decades, I cannot shake the Quebec out of me. Both professionally and socially, I notice that my human bonds grow fastest and strongest with other members of the Quebec diaspora. Those multiply nested countercultures seem to give us a unique outlook on life—a combination of self-awareness, clannishness, polyglotism, and cosmopolitan posturing that often leaves us chatting alone, amongst ourselves in the kitchen, at parties in Toronto and Vancouver. The jokes we tell and the questions we ask may be in English. But the backstory comes with French subtitles."

https://thewalrus.ca/guilty-memories-from-an-anglo-montreal-childhood/

"Laissons Toronto devenir Milan, Montréal restera toujours Rome."

Modifié par fmfranck

I always believed it was the reverse for years ... Toronto desperately wants what Montreal has .... 1 example is the old charm ... they created this sad section called the distillery district that wants so desperately to resemble Montreal's old Montreal , but is no where close...

Also they want F1 and have in the past shown interest ... and simply want the culture that they cannot have, because of the French roots ... oh well

I don't think the 2 cities should compete like this....  they should balance each other ... Toronto is what it is and I like this and Montreal is what it is and I like this too

• Like 1

I'm also tired of the angry anglo "let's be Toronto" rhetoric, Jesus. Montreal is by far the most unique and different place on the continent, and I say that proudly. I've lived in other cities and it's all the same, bigger = better, 100% Americanised and no culture. I'm glad we're not like Toronto, sure, they're a powerful city but my god it's essentially an American city with 0 identity, everything looks the same, materialistic, etc. I'll never understand why anglos continue to bash this city and not see the good in it, it's retarded and every time they try to back up a claim, they do so by referring to the 60's and 70's. Linguistic division, sure it happens but it's not as bad as back in the days and millennials are bilingual, they don't hate anglos and most anglos don't hate francos. One more point about millennials, since I am one as well, we care about unity and learning about cultures and languages, we have 200+ ethnicities in the city and we are proud of that. I also love how in this city I can go from speaking my mother tongue (Italian) to English to French, although broken and shitty, but in the same area and sometimes in the same convo, you don't see that anywhere else. One other aspect about Montreal that I love is how we enjoy life here, you don't see that anywhere else! elsewhere it's work, work and work more, while over here it's encouraged to enjoy life. So yeah, I could go on but I won't, what we have here is unique and some people should stop wanting to be like Toronto, cause that city is far from perfect, like really really far from it. They can be the financial centre of the country, while Montreal is the cultural, artsy/hipster capital, a leader in A.I, tech, a global leader in political science/law/U.N, etc.. and I am so proud that I am from here.

• Like 4

gomtl: "Si Montreal avait choisi de demeurer une ville gérée exclusivement par les anglos, nous aurions perdu notre identité, et baissé les bras devant l'omniprésence Anglo."

Agree with above. Furthermore, even if Montreal had remained Anglo dominated, the industrial / financial center would have still shifted west, as it happened in the US.

Gradually, Francophones took ownership of the space vacated by departing angryphones. Since Bill 101 (1977), francophone Quebecers (both bilingual AND unilingual ones) went from bottom feeders (in terms of salaries) to about top spots in their hometown (and province).  Quebec's economy also improved compared to its Canadian peers. => And all that while still maintaining a great / fun / safe city! <=

Évidemment, restons ouvert face aux critiques et on doit en tirer le maximum de leçons. Mais il faut détruire sans retenus la désinformation / le Québec bashing gratuit ou non fondé. Particulièrement les fake infos qui viennent du ROC, car ce sont les sources qu’utilisent nos voisins du sud.

Modifié par YUL
  • Like 2

As an "older millennial" bilingual anglophone who chooses to live, work and raise a family in Montreal, this topic touches a nerve. I can't stand the "angryphone this - francophone that" rhetoric because it introduces emotions into what should be a discussion based on facts. It can also get peoples' back up against the wall - which doesn't lead to a productive outcome.

Here is my point of view, a point of view from someone who could easily move away (especially to Toronto, where a lot of my childhood friends now reside):

- Just like any city, Montréal has it's pros and cons
- Montréal competes on a national and international stage for everything from talent to HQs to new investment. We need to be better than the competition to win
- Montréal is unique in North America: It is the crossroads of Europe and North America. This is our heritage and we should embrace it
- The ability of most people to communicate or understand 2 of the world's major languages is a tool that I believe should be harnessed 

I think that everyone posting on this forum wants the best for our city. Whether someone is singing the virtues of a development or finding fault with our tax code the end goal is the same. I would ask that we stop the name calling and the angry responses that serve nothing more than to perpetuate stale stereotypes. Everyone has an opinion on what is best for Montréal and each is legitimate.

I for one, am proud to live and work here. Je suis un fier montéalais.

Je suis convaincu qu'en travaillant ensemble nous pourrons faire rayonner notre ville.

Modifié par Gotti
  • Like 2

@Gotti

C'est ce qu'on appel pas se mouiller. C'est clair que même si Montréal est une ile dans les fait, elle n'est pas isolée du marché mondial. Mais ça veut dire quoi au fait? À cause de cette réalité, Montréal doit changer qui elle est artificiellement pour plaire au marché? C'est débatable.

Là où j'ai un problèeme, c'est quand on dit "a point of view from someone who could easily move away ". Ça veut dire quoi? Nous pourrions tous partir. On réfère toujours au fait qu'il y a une présomption que les anglophones pourraient partir. Oui, c'est sûr. Et les francophones pourraient partir pour Québec, ou Paris, ou Toronto aussi. Ça change quoi? On fait le CHOIX de rester Montréalais. C'est un choix personnel d'accepter le contexte et les décisions de la majorité. En prenant en considération que les choix de la majorité respectent les "droits" (le mot est important) de la minorité, ce choix nous revient. 

Par la suite, la critique CONTINUELLE du contexte (le fait français) et des choix de la majorité (CQLF), c'est lourd. La région de Montréal va rester majoritaire francophone pour le futur moyen (au moins), et les lois linguistiques ne changeront pas de si tôt. Il n'y a AUCUNE volonté politique en la matière. À la limite, formez un nouveau parti (ce que je recommande FORTEMMENT), et donnez vous une voix. Mais pour l'instant c'est comme crier dans un oreiller, le message ne se rend pas dans le discour publique au Québec. Dans cette analogie, le forum serait un peu l'oreiller. Ce qui est d'autant plus énervant, c'est qu'on aborde JAMAIS le sujet qui sous-tend le ton pesssimiste de certains membre du forum. On fait juste donner une connotation négative à tout, en évitant de mentionner la raison pour tout ce négativisme.

Modifié par fmfranck
  • Like 1

Pourquoi on s'entête à se comparer spécifiquement à Toronto?  Parce que c'est une autre ville canadienne?  So what?  Ce ne sont que des lignes sur une carte.  C'est avec les autres villes du monde qu'il faut se comparer.  Faire ces comparaisons à l'intérieur des frontières canadiennes ne sert à rien car les dés sont pipés en faveur de Toronto, et ça ne va pas changer peu importe ce qu'on fait.  Va-t-on me traiter de séparatiste pour préférer des comparaisons internationales plutôt que nationales?  Toronto aime aussi ces comparaisons, surtout avec les États-Unis.  En fait, Toronto semble voir le Canada comme son simple arrière-pays bien dévoué qui devrait concentrer ses institutions chez elle pour faire augmenter son propre prestige (pour le bien du Canada, évidement...).  Notre terrain de jeu n'est pas simplement le Canada, mais bien le monde.  La compétition y est plus féroce qu'à l'intérieur du Canada, mais sur ce terrain de jeu Toronto n'est pas le chouchou du professeur !  Jouons bien nos cartes et nous pourront tirer notre épingle du jeu.

• Like 4