Aller au contenu

The 50 coolest neighbourhoods in the world

jesseps

Messages recommendés

We’re calling it: the city-within-a-city neighbourhood of Verdun is the most up-and-coming place on the island of Montreal. From exploring the joie de vivre of its bustling main strip, Wellington Street, to relaxing in parks alongside the Saint-Lawrence River, it’s a well-kept secret among locals – and exceedingly welcoming to visitors too. With nearly 350 years of history, it’s actually one of Canada’s oldest cities: a historically working-class area that was (despite Montreal’s reputation for raucous nightlife) officially dry between the years of 1965 and 2010. Today it’s flush with restaurants both new and time-honoured, serving iconic Québécois food as well as creative eats loaded with flair, and there’s a fresh collection of bars to booze at between the regular street fairs and festivals.

EAT Check out the inspired menus at Beba, where chef Ari Schor – who’s cooked for Justin Trudeau and Barack Obama – turns fresh, local produce into inimitably delicious plates like warm empanadas or chanterelle mushrooms on cheesy polenta.

DRINK Pay a visit to Palco, which was the first fully-fledged bar to open in Verdun after it broke its longstanding alcohol prohibition. There you’ll find inventive mixology with tropical and pan-Asian leanings, but also cheap speed-rail drinks to enjoy while a three-piece band or DJ takes the stage.

DO If you’re in Montreal in summer for the International Jazz Festival, check out Verdun’s satellite stage: the first of its kind at this world-class event. Then follow that up with a visit to the neighbourhood’s new urban beach for some sun, sand, and river swimming.

STAY Get a classic home-welcoming feel at La Petite Bourgeoise, a cheekily-named 1920s B&B that retains all its old finishings while offering modern hospitality. Its location makes it a great base to grab a ride or a bike downtown, or dip in and out of Verdun at one’s leisure. —Jean-Pierre Karwacki, Time Out Montreal

LOCALS SAY ‘There’s a strong community life, with family and cultural activities always going on, plus it’s near the water and has lots of restaurants and bars.’

https://www.timeout.com/coolest-neighbourhoods-in-the-world

Verdun comes in at 22 on the list and it beats out The Junction in Toronto which sits at 36.

• Like 3

I visited some of them. One thing for sure, I think Gracia, Barcelona, is a better choice compared to Poblenou, Barcelona, but thats me.

Stoneybatter, Dublin is pretty cool, but I think Portobello way better, because of the canal.

As for Budapest, the whole city is pretty cool, but I haven't been there for a few years now, so I can't say much about Bartók.

I did not have a chance to visit Wedding when I was in Berlin, I will surely check it out next time.

Il y a 3 heures, Rocco a dit :

Il ne manque qu'un pont de service entre Verdun et l'Ile des Soeurs pour rendre ça encore plus cool. Les insulaires ne devraient donc plus voir la terre ferme comme une plaie de lit.

Il y a déjà un lien direct avec Verdun depuis des décennies (ça s'appelle à juste titre le pont de l'Île des Soeurs). Jadis ça parlait d'un pont direct pour le service d'incendie (réglé depuis longtemps avec une caserne ouverte à l'Île), l'éventuel pont aurait été là où se trouve le Club Marin et devait atterrir où se trouve la plage de Verdun à côté de l'Auditorium (on oublie ça maintenant). Ceci dit, comme pour ta perception du parking «vide» du Village de l'IDS,  tu restes atrocement ancré dans les clichés du passé car il y a de nombreux insulaires qui vont maintenant dans les cool (et très bons) petits restos, les micro-brasseries et les commerces plus sophistiqués et raffinés qui voient le jour sur la terre ferme.

Non, pas de pont a cet endroit....la plage est juste a coté....c'est un endroit très plaisant pour faire du vélo, la marche et les berges on rien avoir avec ce quelles étais dans les années 70....un peu plus au nord le secteur est déja fortement minéralisée  pas de pont pour les automobiles!!!!  Un pont étroit pour vélo et piétons serait a la limite acceptable ....mais encore je pense qu'on devrait laisser tout ça à l'etat naturel.

Il y a 3 heures, Malek a dit :

And only one instance of pedestrian word on that page.

How come😬

11 fois walk. 

7 fois stroll.

Drive? 3 fois. 

Pas que tout ça soit un indicatif quelconque, mais tsé tant qu'à usé de raccourcis intellectuels, ça fonctionne dans les deux sens. La plupart des photos des quartiers sélectionnés nous montre des piétons ou des parcs. 

il y a une heure, fmfranck a dit :

11 fois walk. 

7 fois stroll.

Drive? 3 fois. 

Pas que tout ça soit un indicatif quelconque, mais tsé tant qu'à usé de raccourcis intellectuels, ça fonctionne dans les deux sens. La plupart des photos des quartiers sélectionnés nous montre des piétons ou des parcs. 

16 photos avec chars. Ça compte tu aussi comme raccourci intellectuel? 😂😂😂