Aller au contenu

Canoë – 6 à 10 étages

Gab

Messages recommendés

Il y a 4 heures, GrizzlyFoxCat a dit :

I am all in for a multi-use project like this, especially where it is. This part of Hochelaga is in bad need of services, and this project would be a godsent for that (as long as the services are regular ones and not just the gentrified/gourmet version of them, like expensive Metro Plus or IGA whatever-they-are-called).

HOWEVER, (prepare your NIMBY labels), I don't see why Montreal needs 12-store high buildings. Especially when ZERO infrastructure projects are attached to the project.

Out of nowhere you will have ONE THOUSAND new families living in the same block. This will cause an explosion in the number of cars in traffic (I'm looking at you, Pie-IX, Viau, Hochelaga), demand for parking spots, Communauto cars and bike lanes, number of metro and bus users, kids in school, hospital beds, etc etc.

There is (usually) a reason for some areas of the city to only allow a certain density, and infrastructure limitations is one of them. I don't know of any big investment in infrastructure for the region, and that what worries me the most.

Perhaps, just perhaps (this has to be ascertained), existing infrastructures are currrently underused, and are in need of a bigger population, including school age children, in order to justify their existence.  In many cases, not just in Montreal, some neighborhoods  have encountered a net population loss, not because of demolitions, but because the average size of households has greatly diminished. New housing developments can contribute to re-establish an optimal population level. 

Your concern over an "explosion in the number of cars" must be taken seriously, but this issue arises whenever there is population growth, which is globally the case in Montreal; thus the issue becomes  which kind of location, central or suburban, well served by public transit or by by highways, is the best approach to minimize  car dependency.  Presumably, Hochelaga is preferable to Mascouche, for example.

Modifié par Né entre les rapides
adding a missing word to public: "transit" for "public transit"

Am I missing something?? This project would be closer to two Métro stations than many Montrealers are to simple bus stops on meandering routes. It’s also close to schools, markets, multiple supermarkets, groceries and pharmacies, dozens of eateries and cafés, libraries, and clinics. Yeah I don’t get the “no infrastructure” argument.

I note the disdain for “bike lanes” itself probably warrants the “NIMBY” label.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Il y a aussi beaucoup de nombreux propriétaires qui achètent un condo sans forcément avoir une voiture. En plus, avec la pandémie, beaucoup de montréalais vont continuer en télétravail donc moins de trafic (surtout dans des places proches des transports en commun). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SameGuy said:

I note the disdain for “bike lanes” itself probably warrants the “NIMBY” label.

No, no, I'm sorry if it sounded like this, I really value bike lanes, as a biker myself. And I know Hochelaga doesn't have a major bike lane network, especially on main arteries.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikeymousegod said:

Il y a aussi beaucoup de nombreux propriétaires qui achètent un condo sans forcément avoir une voiture. En plus, avec la pandémie, beaucoup de montréalais vont continuer en télétravail donc moins de trafic (surtout dans des places proches des transports en commun). 

Yes, but this is just a guess. The numbers say otherwise. Number of cars is growing year-by-year, even with the huge shortage that's affecting the auto industry. If the average car ownership for Montreal can be applied to Hochelaga, we can expect more than 1000 cars  being dumped in the region in a very short amount of time (the average for montreal in 2020 was 1.3 cars/household, if I'm not mistaken).

2 hours ago, GrizzlyFoxCat said:

No, no, I'm sorry if it sounded like this, I really value bike lanes, as a biker myself. And I know Hochelaga doesn't have a major bike lane network, especially on main arteries.

Thank you for clarifying, I also wasn’t intending to be rude (maybe just a tad dismissive! 😉).

• 7 mois plus tard...