Aller au contenu
publicité

Mon deuxième voyage en temps de pandémie à Miami

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

• Administrateur
Il y a 2 heures, andre md a dit :

On est tous tanné de la situation avec une attitude de résigné. Peut être que pour décrocher les gens vont maintenant aller en Floride plutôt que les traditionnels tout inclus de Cuba et république dominicaine.

J'ai honnêtement décroché solide... c'était vraiment une vie normale... si j'étais célibataire, j'y serais déjà déménagé jusqu'à ce que ça se tasse ici... :S 

• Thanks 1

publicité
2 hours ago, mtlurb said:

J'ai honnêtement décroché solide... c'était vraiment une vie normale... si j'étais célibataire, j'y serais déjà déménagé jusqu'à ce que ça se tasse ici... :S 

La preuve tu as en rencontrer plusieurs qui on dit qu'ils voulait s'établir la bas. Non seulement de Montréal mais aussi du reste de la province. Et surement plusieurs des autres provinces canadiennes. Faut avouer que 2 ans comme ça. C'est lourd on ne se sent pas en prison mais comme si on était en libération conditionnel avec beaucoup de restrictions.  On ne sait plus sur quel pied danser. 

Il y a 8 heures, mtlurb a dit :

En Floride durant les six mois de l'hiver québécois: d'accord, surtout si tu peux conduire tes affaires de partout.  Mais à Scranton où tu es passé à ton retour: non merci!  Je sais bien que tu parles de la Floride, tu ne dis pas que n'importe quel endroit aux USA te conviendrait.  

La pandémie est  pratiquement partout.  La grande différence, c'est l'ampleur des restrictions imposées.  Ici au Québec c'est encore très restrictif; en Floride non.  La Chine va encore plus "loin" que le Québec. Puis il y a des entredeux ça et là sur le continent et dans le monde entier. Le Québec n'est assurément pas l'unique endroit où les gens sont très frustrés et à bout. Mais nous, nous avons le froid extrême en bonus, ce qui fait que même en l'absence des restrictions, la vie au Québec n'est jamais parfaitement "normale" durant une partie de l'année.  Par contre, des régions au climat agréable ou chaud en hiver ont des épisodes éprouvants en été.  Morale de l'histoire: si on pouvait, on ferait comme les oiseaux migrateurs.  Certaines personnes ont déjà trouvé le moyen de le faire.  Alternativement, on pourrait choisir d'habiter dans une région du monde où le climat est (presque) toujours agréable; le hic, c'est ou bien très cher, parce que des millions de personnes y ont afflué et sont prêtes à y mettre le prix pour trouver un toit, ou bien c'est très peu propice pour gagner sa vie convenablement.     

Juste comme ça, connaissant les conditions de vie au Québec:  est-ce que les personnes qui rêvaient d'immigrer au Québec continueront d'y venir dès que la permission leur sera accordée, ou bien changeront-elles d'avis?    Les chiffres pour 2022 fourniront une réponse éclairante.  😶

• 6 mois plus tard...
12 hours ago, mtlurb said:

I'm in Miami for the 3rd time this year....starting my 6th week here.

I'm starting to ask myself questions.

I lived there for 20 years, I'll make it easy for you. 

Do not expect the same feeling you're feeling now to persist if you do move there. 

1. Rents are double here, wages are lower than here. 

2. Taxes may be lower, but property taxes are higher, insurance is higher, COL is much higher, so is energy, transportation, food. 

3. You will not get the same culture as you get in Montreal, which is a more international city. 

4. It's more violent (30 homicides in a city of 450,000 vs 15 on an island of 2,025,000+ people)

5. Lack of good transport, hardly any great greenspaces, bike lanes are garbage. 

6. More homeless and they segregate them forcefully. 

7. Montreal is more vibrant year round believe it or not. More festivals and activities here than in Miami. 

8. Montreal has more interesting neighbourhoods, Miami only has 1 or 2 standouts but they're dying due to gentrification. 

9. People there are rude. 

10. You have to live in the U.S and a state ran by hard right-wingers. 

Bonus: get ready for a lot of fraud/scams and to get yelled at for not speaking Spanish in some areas. 

1 hour ago, mtlurb said:

I’m curious when did you live in Miami? Also which neighborhood?

Briefly in 1999, then 2001-2019 and I lived in Brickell the whole time. Saw all the changes that happened but the city quality really decreased. It's only a city for the ultra wealthy, while 80% of the population lives paycheque to paycheque. Main reason why I came to Montreal was because how different it was and how the city actually has a soul/cool neighbourhoods. Visited here often and then made the move permanent. I saw what's been happening in Miami during the pandemic and it's a ticking time bomb to be honest. 

Not only is it expensive and rents have gone up between 60-115% YoY, but the tech boom was a lie, the city is obsessed with crypto, all the real estate projects cater to foreigners with money, there's no social cohesion. Nightlife is declining too, South Beach has become unsafe and a mess, Brickell is obnoxious, Wynwood is becoming a mini SF, Little Havana and Little Haiti are becoming gentrified and losing their character. Then you add low wages, high COL, the city floods after a small rain storm, transit sucks, the food scene is average, the people are rude. 

I gotta say, Montreal is an amazing city and people take it for granted to be honest. Sure, the weather sucks and so does the provincial government, but the same applies there (DeSantis is garbage). I know people don't like Plante either ( I don't) but at least we don't have a mayor who focuses more on bitcoin, real-estate hustles and an office so corrupted that it makes us look like saints. 

This menu (discussion) is amazingly limited:  Montreal or Miami.

If there were no other choices, I would suggest a combination of the two, depending on the seasons, and perhaps other considerations as well, for example the comparative tax burden, which can determine your official place of residence.

But in reality, there are many more options.  Not a single one is perfect.  For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that all eligible locations are in  Canada and the USA.  Choose the one which meets your most important criteria, and ideally add another one as a secondary residence.  Avoid having too many, unless you are a billionaire;  keep some money to travel to the myriad of other destinations worldwide, each with its own unique attractions.

@mtlurband @Djentmaster001: if you do not mind, I would ask each of you one or two questions:

- mtlurb: 1) what is it in Miami that makes you considering moving there?   and 2) what is it in Montreal that makes you thinking of leaving?   

- Djentmaster001: 1) why was Miami your chosen location for so long? and 2) did you consider other locations than Montreal once you had decided to leave Miami? 

• 8 mois plus tard...
Le 2022-08-02 à 23:43, Né entre les rapides a dit :

This menu (discussion) is amazingly limited:  Montreal or Miami.

If there were no other choices, I would suggest a combination of the two, depending on the seasons, and perhaps other considerations as well, for example the comparative tax burden, which can determine your official place of residence.

But in reality, there are many more options.  Not a single one is perfect.  For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that all eligible locations are in  Canada and the USA.  Choose the one which meets your most important criteria, and ideally add another one as a secondary residence.  Avoid having too many, unless you are a billionaire;  keep some money to travel to the myriad of other destinations worldwide, each with its own unique attractions.

@mtlurband @Djentmaster001: if you do not mind, I would ask each of you one or two questions:

- mtlurb: 1) what is it in Miami that makes you considering moving there?   and 2) what is it in Montreal that makes you thinking of leaving?   

- Djentmaster001: 1) why was Miami your chosen location for so long? and 2) did you consider other locations than Montreal once you had decided to leave Miami? 

Bonnes questions!