Videotron vs. Bell

jesseps

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article très intéressant!

Pour moi vidéotron est de loin supérieur à Bell, que ce soit pour les services internet et illico que pour le téléphone à domicile avec appels interurbains gratuits entre usagers. J'espère que leur lancement dans le wireless va bien fonctionner, je suis bien content de la réussite de cette compagnie! J'ai tellement eu de mauvaises experiences avec Bell, je veux pu rien savoir de cette compagnie la :P

Vidéotron: they changed their Extreme High Speed service from unlimited bandwidth to 30 gigs progressively over the years. I hate them for this. Seriously, what the heck.

Bell: I had Symptico ADSL for 5 years and it was a constant struggle. The quality of my connection to the central was poor so i had constant problems and Bell could/would do little about it. After 5 years of having technicians over i eventually switched to Videotron.

I need a 3rd option that provides high speed internet without ridiculous bandwidth caps.

Beau moment pour faire mon "coming-out": Je suis un employé de Vidéotron depuis 10 ans et fier de l'être! :)

Go VL, go!

Alors donnes-nous un scoop sur les forfaits de cellulaire! Et ça arrive quand maudit?

Vidéotron: they changed their Extreme High Speed service from unlimited bandwidth to 30 gigs progressively over the years. I hate them for this. Seriously, what the heck.

Bell: I had Symptico ADSL for 5 years and it was a constant struggle. The quality of my connection to the central was poor so i had constant problems and Bell could/would do little about it. After 5 years of having technicians over i eventually switched to Videotron.

I need a 3rd option that provides high speed internet without ridiculous bandwidth caps.

Appelle chez Vidéotron et demande le département de la satisfaction . J'ai réussi à augmenter ma limite mensuelle de 30 à 60gb, et même à avoir une réduction du prix de mon forfait internet/télé/téléphone maison. ;)

You have 3 options.

1. Videotron Business internet = $67.95 (7.5 Mbps - unlimited)

2. Teksavvy Cable = $79.95/month (7.5 Mbps - unlimited)

3. Teksavvy MLPPP (2-dry loops) = $102.10/month (10 Mbps - unlimited)

Edited by jesseps

When Vidéotron Ltée chief executive Robert Dépatie confidently beamed this past spring that his Quebecor Inc. telecom division was “on the verge of launching Quebec’s most competitive and complete wireless service,” many believed a splashy launch was imminent.

June gave way to July, then August. It is now September, and analysts predict Vidéotron is finally ready for take-off this week.

Start your engines.

As the first of two well-entrenched cable incumbents to bring on wireless services this year and next, Montreal-based Vidéotron’s long-awaited entrance into Quebec’s wireless market represents a significant shift for the industry.

Analysts are taking Mr. Dépatie’s words seriously, and so is the competition. “Long-term, Vidéotron has great potential to make a lot of money out of wireless in Quebec,” Maher Yaghi at Desjardins Securities says.

He and others expect the firm to begin immediately stealing market share from wireless incumbents Toronto-based Rogers Communications Inc., BCE Inc.’s Bell Mobility, also of Montreal, and Vancouver-based Telus Corp. through a strategy built around bundling mobile into household services Vidéotron already sells to its 1.8 million cable customers. Calgary-based Shaw Communications Inc. is expected to enter the Quebec market in 2011.

Vidéotron cut its teeth in wireless a few years ago when it partnered with Rogers in a resale deal that slapped its branding on phones that ran over the incumbent’s network. But since paying Industry Canada more than half a billion dollars to secure its own wireless licences in 2008 and constructing a 3G+ network across its wireline territory, the most important growth engine for Vidéotron is now ready for prime time.

The majority of stock analysts like its chances. Of 13 covering Quebecor, 10 rate the company a “buy” or “sector outperform,” says Bloomberg. Three, including Mr. Yaghi and analysts at TD Newcrest and Credit Suisse, rank the shares as a “hold.”

Mr. Yaghi conservatively suggests Vidéotron will win 45,000 customers before the end of the year, and will have attracted 165,000 through 2011. Combined with its existing 87,000 wireless clients — equal to about 2% of the Quebec market — Vidéotron will boast a subscriber base of a quarter of a million customers 15 months from now.

With nearly 40% of Quebec’s 4.3 million wireless customers toting a Bell device, it is no surprise the cross-town giant has been aggressively courting Quebeckers with discounts on Internet and TV alongside home-phone. It is part of Bell’s strategy to win the entire “broadband home” away from Vidéotron. Instead of the scrappy cableco stealing its wireless business, Bell will take Vidéotron’s Internet and cable accounts, and if it can, reclaim home-phone customers, too.

Irrespective of whoever wins this tug of war, industry-wide disruption is expected.

Pricing has been guarded like a state secret. But there are good odds that Vidéotron will introduce some form of unlimited calling. There are ads floating around Quebec now suggesting customers will no longer have to fret over how many minutes remain on their plan.

If true, it could hold huge ramifications not just for major rival Bell, but the sector too. So far, incumbents have steadfastly resisted introducing any unlimited options in their main brands, which consist of hugely profitable users paying high prices for buckets of minutes and data, usually shackled to a contract.

It is a cash cow Vidéotron now threatens to undermine in its bid to win share in Quebec.”If Vidéotron comes out and offers unlimited local calling, that could be a game-changer,” said one analyst who asked not to be named.

“Bell can’t stand still and not offer it,” he said. “And if they do it in Montreal they’ll have a hard time not doing it in Ontario.”

(Courtesy of the Financial Post)

Quebecor/Videotron is really becoming a huge home grown success story! I'd give my money to them over Bell any day of the week!

It's always fun to be walking down a street in Vancouver BC and pick up a newspaper, and see "QUEBECOR MEDIA" written on it :D Even if the newspaper sucks :silly: