Aller au contenu

Entrevue avec Bernard Landry L'avenir de Montréal, l'avenir du Québec

Maisonneuve

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 39
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

How does this controversial declaration makes him one of the worst premiers (and Financial ministers) of all time in Quebec ?

Can you expand a little of put some meat around the none ?

I don't see where we can really say he was a good FM... even with the "deficit zero" the debt continued to climb upwards. One can blame Martin for 'downloading' health care, but in Ontario (Ernie Eves under Harris) and Alberta (under Klein) they managed to reduce debt, cut taxes and spur rapid growth during the decade, Alberta even paid their debt completely to 0$ in an era of very low resource revenue, while Quebec failed on all counts... Is Bachand better? Don't know... it is doubtful.

Typically the way things should work is the lowest level of government should be the most effective since it is the smallest, most dynamic and closest to the constituents. But in our situation, I'd much rather Quebec deal with things for Montreal than Montreal, and Ottawa over Quebec... I mean come on, look at only the water meter thing (or any other project), City Hall is at best useless and inept.

Who I really miss is Parizeau, that guy was hilarious and still is, the times he opens his mouth... "lobsters", HAHAHA

Modifié par Cyrus

How does this controversial declaration makes him one of the worst premiers (and Financial ministers) of all time in Quebec ?

Can you expand a little of put some meat around the none ?

He meddled too much in the economy. The long tentacles of government pretty much extended everywhere when he was in charge. Remember the CCE complex? It is because the Quebec government decided to build an office building (and more or less force businesses into it) that we haven't gotten a real office tower since, and likely won't for years.

Seems to me that thousands of nurses were forced into retirement during his tenure as well as a cost saving measure. I'm all for saving money, but forcing nurses to retire is not the way to do it. Why not trim the bloated civil service?

He meddled too much in the economy. The long tentacles of government pretty much extended everywhere when he was in charge.

The relationshiop between involvement of government in economic affairs and the prosperity of the people is so obvious I cannot fathom a reason people can keep doing the same thing over again... look how farked Ontario was under Bob Rae government, Mike Harris got a landslide and saved the province and made the best years in its history. Then they elected McGuinty and he went back like Rae and Ontario turned into a have-not province, with flickering lights :stirthepot:

The relationshiop between involvement of government in economic affairs and the prosperity of the people is so obvious I cannot fathom a reason people can keep doing the same thing over again... look how farked Ontario was under Bob Rae government, Mike Harris got a landslide and saved the province and made the best years in its history. Then they elected McGuinty and he went back like Rae and Ontario turned into a have-not province, with flickering lights :stirthepot:

Harris left politics when the American economy started to slow down. This hurted Ontario a lot because their economy depends a lot on the United States. Harris was lucky (or good at calculation) to leave at that time. It makes him look better. I am not saying he didn't do anything good, just that is timing was better.

He meddled too much in the economy.

In a period where the economy may have needed to be meddled by the goverment. He actually instigated a lot of things and even if they havent all worked out well (Gaspesia) i wont bash him for trying. I'd rather have someone who tries hard and makes some mistakes instead of someone that simply doesn't do anything in fear of critics.

Remember the CCE complex? It is because the Quebec government decided to build an office building (and more or less force businesses into it) that we haven't gotten a real office tower since, and likely won't for years.

That building is actually not bad at all. The complex is very impressive and fits very well on René-Lévesque. Of course it would have been better if it was higher as they should have built one tower instead of two but i dont think that's is decision. Indeed, he ''encouraged'' companies to move into it and so far it has been a success. I dont see how we would have had a ''real office tower'' if he hadn't done it. That is actually a real office tower. As i said before, not high enough but still.

Seems to me that thousands of nurses were forced into retirement during his tenure as well as a cost saving measure. I'm all for saving money, but forcing nurses to retire is not the way to do it. Why not trim the bloated civil service?

He didn't force them out, he offered very good incentive so that many chose to leave. Without that there is no way they could have reached a deficit zero and....and that wasn't really really his thing but more of a command by Lucien Bouchard. And above all, the deficit zero was a very good thing even if it did hurt the health care system.