Brooklyn Kings 2,556,598 71 183

Queens Queens 2,293,007 109 283

Staten Island Richmond 487,407 58 151

City of New York

8,363,710 303 786

State of New York

19,490,297 47,214 122,284

Modifié par LindbergMTL

Hey yall, i come from small town Montreal and i likes me some poutine. Us rural folk sure do like our cheese and fries!

EDIT: Funny how Montreal's population (over 1.6 million city proper) is greater than Philadelphia's (1.5 million city proper), Pheonix (1.5), Dallas (1.2) and many others.

In fact, by city proper population, Montreal is the 6th most populous in the U.S.A and Canada. (Behind only NYC, LA, Toronto, Houston and Chicago)

Heck of a small town!! :D

Modifié par Cataclaw

Still, it's symptomatic of how Montreal is perceived down south. Our city may not be a small town by any standards, but it's high central density - a product of various historical and geographical factors - is somewhat misleading as to it's actual size and importance.

when metro areas are compared, the region falls much lower on north american rankings; i suspect it would be even worse if you were to include a much broader sphere of influence, say, everything within 150 km.

that, coupled with Montreal's actual stagnation of the last twenty years, contribute to create this image of a city that's past it's prime ...and it all goes to show the importance perceptions can have, and how they can actually influence reality, which in turn causes those perceived realities to become .. real ! .... cause i mean, who'd wanna set up their brand new north american head offices in small town Montreal ? ... who'd think of moving an ailing sports franchise to a small market ? .. if you get my drift .......

Modifié par pedepy

Still, it's symptomatic of how Montreal is perceived down south. Our city may not be a small town by any standards, but it's high central density - a product of various historical and geographical factors - is somewhat misleading as to it's actual size and importance.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

If Montreal has a high central density, it would suggest that Montreal is bigger, not smaller, than it actually is, by North American standards.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

If Montreal has a high central density, it would suggest that Montreal is bigger, not smaller, than it actually is, by North American standards.

no, i meant it's skewing our perception of how big the city really is. when you seldom leave the island, it's easy to forget how little there is just outside of it.

a five minute drive past city limits is usually all it takes to be surrounded by farmland, forests and vacant lots. by constrast, most american cities of comparable size are surrounded by miles and miles of relatively dense sprawl - which at times will only end where the sprawl of the next city begins.

no, i meant it's skewing our perception of how big the city really is. when you seldom leave the island, it's easy to forget how little there is just outside of it.

a five minute drive past city limits is usually all it takes to be surrounded by farmland, forests and vacant lots. by constrast, most american cities of comparable size are surrounded by miles and miles of relatively dense sprawl - which at times will only end where the sprawl of the next city begins.

I agree and I disagree.

I think if you look at a city like Philadelphia and compare it to Montreal, you'll notice that Philly's sprawl is very low in density. The sprawl is spread out all over the place with many pockets of farmland, fields, etc.

In Montreal, it's easier to identify an exact boundary. You hit the 10/30 interchange in Brossard and you know you're leaving Montreal metro. (Although if St-Jean joins the metro, that would change)

Look at a satellite map of Philly, and you'll notice that their sprawl is very scattered and uneven. So while you may never be truly far from civilization, the density is extremely low to the point where a small housing development might be surrounded by acres upon acres of fields and forests.

So ultimately, i think there's a bit of apples-to-oranges going on here. But... i understand what you mean. It's totally true, you can leave from the center of town (let's call it University/René-Lévesque) and be driving by fields south of Brossard in 15-17 minutes.

So 15 minutes can get you out of the urbanized perimeter, but it's important to note the direction. If you go east, you can go on for 50km of urbanization before you truly exit the built-up metropolitan area east of Repentigny.

Likewise if you go north, you'll encounter some fields in Laval but you'll never be far from development. Only until the north shore will you exit the metro and really dive into farmland.

To the west it's the same thing.

So yes, i think our "southern border" is the thinnest, but don't let that be the reference point! :)