Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

School bus crashes into building on Dr. Penfield

By KATHERINE WILTON, Montreal Gazette

June 1, 2010 9:09 PM

3099682.bin

Bus company workers check the scene where a Transco school bus crashed into a home on Côte des Neiges Rd. Tuesday. No students were injured in the crash.

Photograph by: Allen McInnis, The Gazette

Twenty-six schoolchildren received the fright of their lives Tuesday afternoon when their school bus slammed into an apartment building on Doctor Penfield Ave.

The children, age 3 to 8, were returning home from F.A.C.E school on University Ave. when a cyclist cut in front of the bus driver, who was heading west on Doctor Penfield Ave, just past the busy intersection of Côte des Neiges Rd.

"I was turning left and the bicycle came right in front me," the bus driver told The Gazette.

The bus slammed into a parked car and then plowed into the rear of the apartment building.

Staff members from The Sacred Heart School of Montreal raced across the street to help the shaken children and unloaded them off the bus.

"Our staff got the children off the bus, stopped traffic and took them into the school and gave them cookies and juice," said head of school Shawn O'Donnell.

One child was taken to the hospital as a precaution after complaining of a sore neck. None of the other children were injured.

O'Donnell said the children were "very nervous and "some were in shock," but they were fine physically.

The bus driver was shaken up and was worried about the welfare of the children, he said.

O'Donnell said the children were a bit confused and were asking "where was their mom" and "what was going to happen."

About an hour after the accident, another school bus arrived to take the children home. A few anxious parents turned up at the school and were relieved to be reunited with their children.

One mother said she called the school to find out why her daughter's bus was late and was informed of the accident. The school and the bus company contacted the other parents to inform them of the accident.

The Commission Scolaire de Montréal will sent a support team to the school Wednesday to speak to the children.

kwilton@thegazette.canwest.com

© Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/School+crashes+into+building+Penfield/3099570/story.html#ixzz0pfhIUE1k

Just another reason why cyclists should be forced to abide by the exact same laws as drivers. What if someone had been killed?

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/School+crashes+into+building+Penfield/3099570/story.html#ixzz0pfhIUE1k

Just another reason why cyclists should be forced to abide by the exact same laws as drivers. What if someone had been killed?

Which would mean a registry for a bike and a license.

I remember last weekend, I nearly ran into a cyclist who tried going through a red light when it was green for me on the Plateau.