Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Le 23 mai 2010

Centre-ville : vive les petits appartements !

172583-voici-quoi-ressemblera-appartement-environ.jpg

Voici à quoi ressemblera un appartement d'environ 400 pieds carrés dans la phase 3 du M9. Les électroménagers sont compacts. Il y a beaucoup d'espace de rangement dans la cuisine.

Illustration fournie par développements Mcgill

Danielle Bonneau

La Presse

Au centre-ville, les micro appartements de 350, 400 et 450 pieds carrés sont très demandés, constate Stéphane Côté, président de Développements McGill, qui a sondé l'opinion de plus de 300 clients potentiels avant de finaliser la phase 3 du complexe M9. Adoptant une approche marketing, il a proposé beaucoup de choix pour savoir ce que les acheteurs recherchent.

172584-appartements-terrasse-style-penthouse-amenages.jpg

Les appartements-terrasse de style penthouse seront aménagés sur un ou deux niveaux, aux étages supérieurs. La piscine et la salle d'exercice vitrée, sur le toit, offriront une belle vue sur le centre-ville.

Illustration fournie par développements mcgill

Afin d'avoir l'heure juste, il a associé un prix à chacune des options proposées. Résultat : beaucoup sont prêts à vivre dans de petits espaces pour profiter de la proximité du centre-ville et du Vieux-Montréal. Et ils désirent avoir accès à plusieurs services pour ne pas être confinés dans leur appartement. Un peu comme à l'hôtel. Environ 40 % des 111 appartements de la phase 3 ont donc une superficie de moins de 500 pieds carrés. Il faut dire que les futurs copropriétaires déboursent environ 400 $ le pied carré. Les plus petits appartements étant déjà vendus, les prix s'échelonnent entre environ 150 000 $ et 1,25 million. «Dans notre coin, tout rapetisse, indique le promoteur. Il n'y a plus de marché après 900 pieds carrés. Il y a un trou béant jusqu'au plus petit appartement de style penthouse, de 1162 pieds carrés.»

Ceux qui désirent de grands logements veulent en effet des appartements-terrasse de style penthouse, a révélé le sondage. Aménagés sur un ou deux niveaux, ceux-ci ont l'avantage d'être situés aux étages supérieurs et comptent deux salles de bains.

Les architectes des firmes Sid Lee Architecture et AEdifica se sont servis des commentaires recueillis pour finaliser les plans de l'immeuble de 14 étages, qui s'appuiera contre l'édifice Louis-Charland. Situé à l'entrée du centre-ville, rue Duke, il fera face à l'autoroute Bonaventure, appelée à devenir un boulevard urbain.

«L'espace a été optimisé, indique Stéphane Côté. Dans les petits appartements, les électroménagers sont compacts et il y a des douches, mais pas de baignoires dans les salles de bains. Par contre, il y a beaucoup de rangement.»

Sur le toit, par ailleurs, seront aménagés une piscine, un spa et une terrasse, ainsi qu'une salle d'exercice vitrée avec une vue splendide sur le Vieux-Port. Il y aura aussi un spacieux salon vitré (le Skylounge) avec un foyer, un écran géant, une cuisine ... et une vue tout aussi superbe sur le centre-ville et le fleuve.

Une déception : la certification LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) a soulevé peu d'intérêt. Développements McGill, dont le projet Square Benny vient d'obtenir la certification LEED argent, se servira de son expertise pour appliquer les principes verts qui entraînent peu de coûts supplémentaires. Mais il n'ira pas aussi loin qu'il l'aurait souhaité. «Les consommateurs n'y voient pas de valeur ajoutée, note Stéphane Côté. Nous respectons leur choix.»

La construction de la phase 3 devrait débuter cet automne.

http://www.habiter.com

• Réponses 145
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Hey guys I really need some help,and i'm sure you guys can help me decide,i'm planning on buying a condo in this phase,mostly for long term investment,I wont live inside it would only be for rent,a 450 square feet is 180 000 $ tax included and a 550 square feet is 195 000 $ in the Lowney,I can handle paying up to 200 000,but I really fell in love with the m9 3,so my question is which would be a better long term investment ?.?.?. at 450 square feet I have a semi closed room would the extra 100 square feet make a big difference in like 10 years...m9 3 just feels more rich and it's closer to Old Montreal.Oh and how much would I be able to get in rent as of 2012 from both projects...

So,M9 3 or Lowney ...

Thanks guys :)

The Bonaventure project will definitely improve the M9. The M9 people are expecting this to happen too, as you can see from some of their renderings.

It'll be nice when all is said and done.

I'm pretty sure residents that are moving in are well aware that the highway is coming down.

In the long term I think the M9 is better placed.

However, if the Bonaventure project actually ends up getting done, expect property values around there to initially plunge due to the noise, hassle and pollution that comes with a large infrastructure project. Knowing how long projects here in Montreal actually take to be completed, I would say you would be looking at 5-6 years of depreciated property value.

The Lowney, I think, will be victim of its own success, resale-wise. When all the people lining up to buy in the Lowney on spec start flooding the market with their shoebox condos in a couple years, I wouldn't want to be left holding the bag.

At least there seems to be some differentiation in floor plans in the M9, and the units are not quite as commoditized as in the Lowney. I'd just worry that, with nearly a thousand cookie-cutter units and artificially high turnover due to a large student population, Lowney owners risk receiving an artificially depressed price for their units.

What are the condo fees like in the two? Assessments? Those will take a big bite out of any rental income, unless you can pass it on to the tenant.

Modifié par gars du new jersey

gars du New-Jersey is right! You should find out the condo fees for each. As far as location is concerned, they each have their advantages, but I would assume that M9's value will remain higher than Lowney.

The condo fees are not a huge difference,it's about .27 per square foot for Lowney and .30 for M9 3,my only big concern is,Am I better off buying a 550 vs a 400 square foot condo,Keep in mind that with the 400 I'd be on the 8th floor with a semi closed room,and that's with the m9 3,Lowney is bigger but I just feel that m9 3 feels like the right choice even though it's not as big...

I'd be inclined to go with the m9 based on gut feelings... a horrible way to make a $200,000+ investment. Really, you need to run the numbers - all the numbers - with the two condos. If you intend to rent them, what sort of rent/year per square foot is going rate in Montreal? Will the m9 get hit worse with city assessments/taxes? If you know people in the two buildings, is either getting a premium on rental income? If so, what is driving same? What is the relative value of the common areas? In a very real sense, you are buying a stake in an organization, so do your due diligence on the condo association.

My inclination is that there's going to be a lot of product coming onto the Griffintown market in a couple of years, and the buzz around the Lowney, specifically, is already too hot, too speculative. The m9 is a quality project in a neighborhood with a more solid, more aged (more attractive) urban form, with much more limited development pontential. Personally, I'd see if I could find a unit in phase one of the m9. It's beautiful, and prices are probably artificially depressed relative to the market because of the new m9 units and the constant construction. Though architecture is not exactly a driving force behind real estate values, phase one is often featured in write-ups on modern residential architecture. In any case, it has nice clean lines, and I think its design might help it command a premium in the future.

Remember this: Shaugnessy Village must once have been a hot neighborhood: just look at all those high-rises! I'd wary of neighborhoods that have a tons of square footage being built in years to come without the infrastructure, social or physical, to absorb it.

Modifié par gars du new jersey