In a few weeks, the City of Brantford, Ontario is set to demolish 41 buildings regardless of their state of repair or heritage value. I took some shots in Brantford a few years ago, and although the city has fallen on hard times, I was extremely impressed with the size of its downtown area and it's quantity and quality of Victorian and early 20th Century architecture. It's a real shame things have come to this.

The full Brantford tour: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123197

Let's take one last look.

Everything on the right side of the street will be wiped out. There are no plans to do anything with the empty lots that will result.

00001.jpg

Every single building shown in the following photos will be gone in about a month or so. Sadly, it is reported that many of the buildings are structurally sound, and many have apartments in the upper storeys.

00052.jpg

00010.jpg

00013.jpg

00053.jpg

00015.jpg

The buildings are on a hill, the fronts are 2-4 storeys and the backs are 5-8 storeys.

00023.jpg

00028.jpg

00032.jpg

00037.jpg

00043.jpg

I guess this was Brantford's attempt to do something with the buildings.

00057.jpg

00055.jpg

00058.jpg

00059.jpg

The empty lot in the foreground is now a public square, the buildings in the background are among those to be demolished.

00115.jpg

Thanks to SABBATICAL! for bringing this to our attention...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=178092

Wow, say what you want about Heritage Montreal, the CCA, Les Amis de la Montagne and the OCPM, but this would never be allowed to happen here.

Seriously bad move to destroy all these buildings.

Repair, renovate, demolish ONLY if it's structurally unsound AND there's a project on the table to replace the lost building.

This really sucks for Brantford!

Bah it's not the citys buisiness to repair or salvage those buildings. In montreal everytime the city gets involved it turns into a shitstorm. If the owners are not paying any taxes and no one wants to buy them then so be it. It's time to bulldoze.

Bah it's not the citys buisiness to repair or salvage those buildings. In montreal everytime the city gets involved it turns into a shitstorm. If the owners are not paying any taxes and no one wants to buy them then so be it. It's time to bulldoze.

-c'est vrai que ça va être mieux avec un énorme terrain vague et des dizaines de millions en frais de démolition payés par la Ville.

-c'est vrai que ça va être mieux avec un énorme terrain vague et des dizaines de millions en frais de démolition payés par la Ville.

Ou des dizaines de millions en projets sous-évalués, par la suite sur-payés, et douteux...

T'es le premier qui chiâle quand ça chie à la ville, fais pas ta vierge offensée:silly:

i dont think i agree 100% on this - it should be the city's role to try and promote private investment, if for no other reason than to collect tax dollars in the future.

i have no idea what's going on in brantford, but personnally when i look at these pictures what i see most is opportunity.

love what they did with the graffitis / paintings, btw.

Wow, c'est vraiment une décision... douteuse. Détruire pour ne rien reconstruire? Où est l'intérêt?

Mais bon, avec la mentalité que Malek a exposé ici, c'est pas totalement surprenant que certains pourraient penser à faire ça.

This looks like the main street of countless American cities. I thought Canadian downtowns were doing so much better. What happened to Brantford????

Brantford is pretty much the Canadian version of US rustbelt towns. It was hit by declines in various industries at once. It's main industry was the manufacturing of farming equipment/tractors. (it's in what was once a very prominent agricultural area, it still is to some extent, but less so)

Massey Ferguson which had its HQ in the area, went bankrupt in the 1980s or 90s (and had their assets subsequently purchased by AGCO, and their HQ moved to Duluth, Georgia) White Farm Equipment had a plant in Brantford, but it went bankrupt and the plant was closed. Things are improving economically though. Unlike most rustbelt cities, its population is growing. And in 2004, Procter & Gamble and Ferrero SPA chose to locate in the city.

I believe that Brantford also became heavily suburban (which is not a good idea for a small city that has economic problems to begin with) and that helped kill its downtown businesses for good. I have no doubt though that within in 10 years, the downtown could be re-developed. Brantford's economy is supposedly improving, and I imagine that some wise investor will see the huge potential that exists.