Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Bravo! Tu as entièrement raison!:highfive::thumbsup::applause: :applause: :applause::yes::applause::applause:

As someone who works in commercial real estate in Montreal and strongly condones private investment in the city’s downtown core, I would say that there is nothing wrong with dreaming so long as you’re realistic when all is said and done. When’s the last time a private developer built an office tower downtown? How many projects have been approved or proposed but are on hold due to a lack of prospective tenants? How many parking lots still exist downtown? How many vacant spaces exist in our current office towers? While there is nothing wrong with having ambitious visions of building tall, one simply needs to realize the time is not now.

Me semble que quelqu'un ici a fait mention de changements dans la manière de calculer la hauteur officielle des buildings, et que l'antenne compte maintenant, justement à cause que c'est rendu trop compliqué de faire la différence entre antenne et autres.

Non. La hauteur est compté à partir de l'entrée la plus basse donnant accès sur une voie publique (avant, c'était l'entrée principale et non n'importe laquelle).

La catégorie du bâtiment avec le plus haut toit structural a été mise de côté, le plus haut bâtiment est donc celui avec le plus haut mât architectural (ou plafond structural si il n'a pas de mât).

L'antenne n'est toujours pas compté sur une bâtiment, sinon on devra considérer une antenne seule comme un bâtiment :silly:

As someone who works in commercial real estate in Montreal and strongly condones private investment in the city’s downtown core, I would say that there is nothing wrong with dreaming so long as you’re realistic when all is said and done. When’s the last time a private developer built an office tower downtown? How many projects have been approved or proposed but are on hold due to a lack of prospective tenants? How many parking lots still exist downtown? How many vacant spaces exist in our current office towers? While there is nothing wrong with having ambitious visions of building tall, one simply needs to realize the time is not now.

Oh, believe me, I know the market isn't ready for a taller tower...i've said it numerous times. The reason why I was applauding what pedepy said was that there is this attitude in Montreal that anything tall is evil and should be banned from the city. In french we call it the mentality of "les colonisés"

I hate the fact that too many people in this city are still afraid to dream, or heaven forbid, think Big once in a while.

People in this city consider a 34 storey RESIDENTIAL tower to be extremely tall and wish to see it lowered...even though it is in the heart of downtown!! That's the kind of thinking that I hate. It's backwards thinking and it's always negative!

Modifié par Habsfan

Oh, believe me, I know the market isn't ready for a taller tower...i've said it numerous times. The reason why I was applauding what pedepy said was that there is this attitude in Montreal that anything tall is evil and should be banned from the city. In french we call it the mentality of "les colonisés"

I hate the fact that too many people in this city are still afraid to dream, or heaven forbif, think Big once in a while.

People in this city consider a 34 storey RESIDENTIAL tower to be extremely tall and wish to see it lowerded...even though it is in the heart of downtown!! That's the kind of thinking that I hate. Ity's backwards thinking and it's always negative!

people just need to reverse their negative attitudes towards this city; it's radiating on the outside and the perception that foreign investors now have of this city is of one that's in sharp decline.

i don't know if anything is being done to turn things around, but this got me wondering: what if the government somehow "shorted" the market by financing large scale class a office space in downtown montreal, wouldn't it then create a super cheap, pro-tenant market, which would possibly make outside companies looking to invest flock to this city ?.. or has this already been done ? i'm not talking about waving the possibilities of tax credits or what not, i'm talking about erecting actual steel & concrete buildings which would then *have* to bring rents down to a level so low investors would almost have no choice but to accept ! ...

of course it wouldnt be very good for the owners and the longer term consequences probably not that good but then again .. .. who knows..

(ps: im no communist and i dont think the gov' should remain owners of these buildings forever, however this city really could use some severe, potent shot in the arm to shake itself out of that funk it's been in for the better part of the last 2 decades)

just throwing that out there ... urbanists and economists on the forums would probably have something to say about that..

Modifié par pedepy

of course it wouldnt be very good for the owners and the longer term consequences probably not that good but then again .. .. who knows..

Rents are already extremely low when you compare it to other cities. Key now is to become interesting to specific industries, which you can see happening in gaming (although with considerable competition from Quebec City). I think that health-related (crossing fingers on CHUM, MUHC, gare de triage Outremont, ESPUM and Quartier de la Santé), aeronautics, as well as fashion and its related industries also have large growth potential.

As for the topic of pro-development vs. anti-development. Both sides, I believe, have good points and that the solution is a happy-medium similar to what we're working with today in Montreal. Quality of life in Montreal is exceptional and I think it's due in part, as much as I may not want to admit it, to the NIMBYs that annoy so many of us so much of the time.

Rents are already extremely low when you compare it to other cities. Key now is to become interesting to specific industries, which you can see happening in gaming (although with considerable competition from Quebec City). I think that health-related (crossing fingers on CHUM, MUHC, gare de triage Outremont, ESPUM and Quartier de la Santé), aeronautics, as well as fashion and its related industries also have large growth potential.

As for the topic of pro-development vs. anti-development. Both sides, I believe, have good points and that the solution is a happy-medium similar to what we're working with today in Montreal. Quality of life in Montreal is exceptional and I think it's due in part, as much as I may not want to admit it, to the NIMBYs that annoy so many of us so much of the time.

I dunno .. cities like vancouver and toronto who's development seems much less hindered by the so called nimbys frequently rate just has high if not higher that montreal on 'quality of life' charts.. i doubt they deserve that much credit for that. maybe some, but not most.

what if the government somehow "shorted" the market by financing large scale class a office space in downtown montreal, wouldn't it then create a super cheap, pro-tenant market, which would possibly make outside companies looking to invest flock to this city ?.. or has this already been done ?

That's exactly what the PQ gov't did qith the Construction of the CCE1 and CCE2. They pretty much killed the market with those 2 towers!

Rosey is right, the rents for commercial office space are already lower here than in most major canadian cities (Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa all have rents higher than Montreal) so we can't really go any lower!

I dunno .. cities like vancouver and toronto who's development seems much less hindered by the so called nimbys frequently rate just has high if not higher that montreal on 'quality of life' charts.. i doubt they deserve that much credit for that. maybe some, but not most.

Consider what the city would be like if their was no protest to development? The McGill ghetto would be an extension of the mediocre buildings between Sherbrooke and Docteur Penfield which replaced historic homes. Look at Rene Levesque west of the CCE. Look at Shaugnessy Village (our very own Communist Bloc architectual haven). Developers have a lot of good ideas in mind that don't always pan out in the end. Development needs to be smart and necessary. The if you build it they will come mentality does not always work. Attract business and come up with quality projects and then we can discuss building bigger and higher. NIMBYs at times try to assure that there is quality alongside 'necessary' quantity.

• 1 année plus tard...

Suite au post de acpn du 2009.12 (désolé d'avoir à préciser, mais j'apprend encore comment utiliser ce site.)

Tout à fait d'accord avec ces énoncés.

La limite à la hauteur des édifices me paraît comme un signe de saine modestie et non pas comme une limite à la créativité.

La densification du terriroire montréalais peut se faire encore très longtemps sans avoir à franchir cette limite.

Modifié par MontréalMartin