I do research at the UQAM science campus and sometimes I see candy wrappers, party-invitation fliers, or pieces of paper on the floor in the halls inside the buildings. This is explained by the large amount of students walking those halls every day, and by the presence of vending machines. This doesn't bother me a lot and I normally just pick them up and put them in the garbage. As you probably know, however, they are extremely dangerous, and the probability of someone slipping is much higher than you would imagine (the chance of someone actually falling is probably not very high but that's another subject, since it has already became a safety issue). A few days ago I saw a sign by the door of an office that read "SAFETY FIRST: NO LITTERING IN THIS AREA." The sign is still there. I found it interesting for various reasons:

1) It was in English (besides the occasional ironic science-related comic strip on the wall by the doors of some professors, I never see anything in English at UQAM).

2) It tackled littering in a complete different manner than the usual "it looks bad."

3) It is the first time I see a sign tackling littering in Montreal, and I think Quebec in general, and it was not official in any way! It was not even in French! (wait, now that I remember there are some signs that look like they haven't been changed since the 60s behind some alleys, and there is those posters that didn't seem to have worked).

4) This sign seemed to have worked.

Now I don't know about (4) because it might be that the person who put up the sign had been picking up candy wrappers out of safety concern. But it would have definitely worked for me (if I were among the ones who litter), since the consequence on my actions suddenly goes from annoying some people to possibly killing a person.

Anyway I just realized I don't really have a conclusion for this post so I'm gonna try to wrap it up... A while ago I saw a TED lecture by an advertising man on changing the approach to give new value to existing products. I wonder if something similar could be done regarding littering. Would there be less littering if people saw it by default as a safety issue? It seems to me like changing the approach would work. Well I don't think there is any approach here anyway. Most people in Montreal would see me as a redneck for even worrying about littering.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ScarletCoral
      Article dans la Gazette concernant l'achalandage dans les autobus
      Voir l'article pour l'achalandage par ligne de 2012 à 2018
      https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/despite-problems-bus-ridership-in-montreal-up-slightly-in-2018
      Despite problems, bus ridership in Montreal up slightly in 2018
      Passenger numbers are still far short of those from 2012 as complaints soar and punctuality hits its lowest mark since 2001.
      JASON MAGDER, MONTREAL GAZETTE 
      Updated: September 30, 2019

Punctuality plunged, a record number of vehicles were parked for repairs and complaints soared to record levels — and yet, Montreal’s transit authority saw a slight increase in bus ridership last year.
      There were 637,908 more trips taken on city buses in 2018 compared with the year before — an increase of 0.28 per cent.
      It was the first time since 2013 that bus ridership grew.
      The figures, obtained through an access-to-information request, show 142 of 220 bus lines saw an increase in passengers.
      And yet, 2018 was a trying one for the Société de transport de Montréal.
      Because of a labour crisis in the maintenance department, an average of 1,341 buses out of a fleet of 1,807 were available for morning and afternoon peak periods.
      That represents the lowest number in a decade, and far less than the 1,424 required to deliver full service.
      The number of complaints soared by 32 per cent, and the on-time rate of buses was a meagre 79.5 per cent — the lowest since 2001, according to statistics from the STM’s website.
      The year was also marked by buses running out of fuel in record numbers while on the road.
      Despite the uptick in ridership, the numbers fall short of those from 2012. Since that time, 33.9 million fewer annual trips were recorded, accounting for a 13-per-cent overall decline.
      The increase in ridership for 2018 was surprising to Nick Chaloux, a transportation planner and former researcher at TRAM — Transportation Research at McGill.
      “The fact there is a slight growth is positive,” said Chaloux, who published a paper last year that highlighted concerns about the decline in the STM’s bus service.
      “The STM was operating with 100 fewer buses on average, with all the side effects that come with that. When you take that into consideration and you see that ridership was stagnant overall, that’s kind of impressive.”
      Sarah V. Doyon, the director of the transit lobby Trajectoire Québec, said her group was not surprised.
      “We’re finding that people are making more sustainable choices, both for the environment and because congestion is so heavy that public transit is seen as an efficient mode of transportation,” she said.
      It helps that the STM has been working to add more reserved bus lanes throughout its network, Doyon added.
      As for the record number of complaints and high number of late buses, Doyon speculated congestion played a role as buses get stuck in traffic just like cars.
      STM spokesperson Philippe Déry concurred, saying the agency is happy more Montrealers chose to take the bus during a trying year marked by major roadwork and traffic congestion.
      Déry said several measures were put in place to improve performance, including creating two new bus lines to serve the Rivière-des-Prairies and Griffintown sectors, and the merging of bus lines No. 19 with and 53 in the Ahuntsic-Cartierville borough.
      Altogether, the STM offered 68.9 million hours of service in 2018 — a 0.5 per cent increase from the year before, Déry said.
      Last spring, STM chairperson Philippe Schnobb admitted 2018 had been a difficult year and said the bus network was plagued by a deliberate slowdown by unionized employees during a labour conflict.
      In February, during a hearing of Quebec’s workplace tribunal, the STM blamed the union for a record number of buses parked in the garage for repairs.

Breaking down the STM data by bus line, nine out of the 10 most-travelled routes continued to see ridership declines in 2018.
      Only the 51 Édouard-Montpetit line saw a 1.98 per cent increase in its ridership. That increase was enough to make it the only route in the top 10 to gain riders in the period covered by the data, from 2012 to 2018.
      Over that time, five of the 10 most-travelled buses saw declines of 20 per cent or more: the 69 Gouin, 139 Pie-IX, 121 Sauvé/Côte-Vertu, 165 Côte-des-Neiges and 67 Saint-Michel.
      The most-travelled bus is the 141 Jean-Talon Est, with 8.2 million trips recorded in 2018.
      The 51 Édouard-Montpetit was the second-most travelled bus with 7.7 million trips.
      The 161 Van Horne, the 18 Beaubien and the 24 Sherbrooke round out the top 10, and all saw declines of between one and 13 per cent.
    • By mtlurb
      Et ça continue, on improvise parce que les limites de vitesse arbitraires ne sont simplement pas respectées.... alors on force les gens à faire ce qui contredit le code de la route et le bon sens. 

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/09/10/interdit-de-se-garer-a-moins-de-13-metre-du-trottoir
    • By loulou123
      La PresseLe samedi 28 avril 2007

Tout indique que Montréal fera une importante annonce sur le vélo au centre-ville lundi. La fameuse épine dorsale du réseau cyclable, attendue depuis 20 ans, sur le boulevard de Maisonneuve, deviendrait enfin réalité, selon ce qu'a appris La Presse.

Le responsable du transport au comité exécutif de la Ville de Montréal, André Lavallée, a confirmé hier qu'il s'apprête à dévoiler quelque chose de «gros». Mais il s'est contenté de rire lorsque questionné au sujet de l'ouverture d'une voie sur de Maisonneuve.

Le lien manquant

Vélo Québec espère depuis 20 ans l'ouverture de ce tronçon qui compléterait le lien d'est en ouest. Présentement, la piste cyclable s'arrête d'un côté à la rue Berri, et de l'autre, à la rue Green. Les cyclistes doivent ensuite s'engager en zigzag dans les rues de Montréal pour accéder au coeur du centre-ville.

Patrick Howe, de Vélo Québec, explique qu'une piste cyclable est au centre du «plan d'accès au centre-ville» que son organisation avait déposé auprès des élus, en 2005. Ce plan était le fruit de deux études qui avaient conduit Vélo Québec jusqu'à Vancouver et Toronto pour comparer les réseaux cyclistes et identifier les meilleures solutions.

Carrefour du Parc

Par ailleurs, l'équipe Tremblay est sur le point d'annoncer l'ouverture d'une piste cyclable d'environ un kilomètre, dans l'axe des avenues du Parc et des Pins. La voie s'étendra de la rue Rachel (au nord) à la rue Hutchison (au sud).

Cette piste cyclable sera réalisée à l'intérieur du budget de 6,5 millions consacré à l'aménagement des abords du nouveau carrefour du Parc. La dernière phase de ces travaux, qui s'élève à 29,5 millions, comprend la construction du trottoir à l'est de l'avenue du Parc, l'installation de lampadaires de rue et de parcs, et la plantation d'arbres.

«Ce sera une piste cyclable confortable, drapée de vert, assure André Lavallée, qui en fera l'annonce prochainement. La piste deviendra une des entrées du centre-ville.»

Le responsable du dossier au comité exécutif ajoute qu'il est impératif pour Montréal de repartager la chaussée avec les cyclistes et les piétons.

«Autrefois, les cyclistes et les piétons étaient considérés comme une nuisance au centre-ville, dit-il. Les pistes cyclables dans la rue Wellington, Saint-Urbain et Notre-Dame, qui ont été ouvertes l'an dernier, sont en train de transformer les habitudes de circulation des Montréalais.»
    • By acpnc
      Publié le 12 août 2016 à 13h38 | Mis à jour le 12 août 2016 à 13h38

Les Forges de Montréal menacées d'éviction par la Ville

Les Forges de Montréal, un organisme sans but lucratif, est le seul endroit en Amérique du Nord consacré à enseigner les techniques d'époque, selon Mathieu Collette.

La Presse Canadienne
      Giuseppe Valiante

Au beau milieu d'une autoroute et de silos à grains le long du canal Lachine, à Montréal, se trouve une structure grisâtre âgée de 130 ans qui abrite des forgerons pratiquant le métier d'antan.

Mathieu Collette, avec sa salopette noire et sa queue de cheval nouant ses cheveux foncés, travaille sur une pièce de fer rouge de chaleur placée sur une enclume française vieille de 230 ans.

« Personne au Canada ne fait ce que nous faisons, dit-il alors qu'une goutte de sueur perle sur son front. Nous sommes même uniques en Amérique du Nord. »

Bien que plusieurs cours de forge existent ailleurs au Canada, M. Collette affirme que son organisme sans but lucratif, Les Forges de Montréal, dans l'édifice où il travaille, est le seul endroit en Amérique du Nord consacré à enseigner les techniques d'époque.

Ses collègues et lui offrent des cours à tous ceux qui sont intéressés à garder le métier de forgeron bien vivant.

Depuis 2000, M. Collette et plusieurs autres forgerons se partagent l'espace, mais ils affirment que la Ville de Montréal veut les chasser de l'endroit en raison d'un conflit sur le bail.

« La Ville veut mettre ses camions là », soutient M. Collette devant la fenêtre donnant sur l'autoroute Bonaventure, qui est à quelques mètres de l'édifice.

Il pourrait prendre son matériel et déménager, mais M. Collette estime que le lieu de son atelier est aussi important que les méthodes qu'il enseigne à ses élèves.

Derrière la structure de pierre est situé le canal Lachine, qui était auparavant à proximité des usines de bois transformé, d'acier, de cuir et d'autres produits qui ont été essentiels au développement du Canada.

Tout juste à côté de l'édifice se trouvent d'imposants silos à grains, qui appartiennent à l'entreprise propriétaire de la farine Five Roses - dont le panneau en néon rouge illumine le ciel de Montréal chaque soir.

Le fait qu'un atelier de forge soit entouré d'usines et de voies ferrées - des symboles de la Révolution industrielle - n'échappe pas à Mathieu Collette.

« Nos techniques anciennes sont vivantes et sont [des symboles] de la Révolution industrielle au Canada », souligne-t-il.

Le gouvernement possède le terrain sur lequel la structure est érigée et M. Colette souhaite discuter avec Ottawa pour agrandir l'atelier et créer un musée ainsi qu'une aire récréative extérieure afin de raconter l'histoire industrielle du Canada.

« C'est totalement unique ici. Juste derrière nous est [située] l'entrée du canal qui a bâti le Canada: les moulins, le train, le pont Victoria derrière nous... Personne ne sait ça. Nous voulons faire un musée qui explique tout ça. »

Mais M. Collette et ses partenaires doivent d'abord régler leur conflit avec la métropole, qui est propriétaire de l'édifice. Le forgeron dit qu'il avait une entente avec l'ancienne administration municipale pour remettre à plus tard des rénovations onéreuses.

La Ville de Montréal soutient plutôt que cette entente n'avait jamais été formellement approuvée et que le groupe viole les clauses du bail en ne procédant pas aux rénovations.

Une porte-parole de la municipalité, Anik de Repentigny, a écrit dans un courriel que les Forges de Montréal ne respectaient pas les obligations du contrat et que « le dossier suit son cours ».

« Nous n'avons pas d'autres commentaires », a-t-elle dit.

Mathieu Collette espère que les Montréalais et le maire reconnaîtront que son groupe protège l'héritage culturel de la ville.

« Nous sommes une équipe de passionnés qui aimons partager les techniques anciennes de forge avec le public. Avant, les gens étaient fiers de faire des objets qui dureraient pour toujours. Et c'est pourquoi les anciennes techniques sont meilleures que les nouvelles », a-t-il fait valoir.

La technique de forge en bref

- La forge traditionnelle utilise les quatre éléments: la terre (le fer), l'air (pour augmenter la chaleur du fer), l'eau (pour refroidir le métal) et le feu (pour forger).

- Le charbon de forge peut atteindre une température d'environ 1600 degrés Celsius.

- Pour forger, il faut du charbon, une enclume, un marteau et de la poudre de borax (pour éviter l'oxydation).

- À la fin de sa formation, l'apprenti forgeron saura faire des trous dans le métal, souder deux pièces ensemble et scinder le métal.

- Les métaux par excellence sont le fer et l'acier en raison de leur solidité et de leur durabilité.

- Un bon apprenti peut devenir forgeron après environ trois ans.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/montreal/201608/12/01-5009878-les-forges-de-montreal-menacees-deviction-par-la-ville.php
    • By ProposMontréal
      Webcam: http://www.nouveauchamplain.ca/chantier/chantier-en-direct/

Discussion portant sur le nouveau Pont Champlain.