New York set to ban cars from Times Square

NEW YORK, May 24 (UPI) -- Many New York residents and tourists alike say the city's plan to ban cars from traveling through Times Square is a great idea.

The New York Daily News said Saturday some people have applauded the plan to ban all traffic from Broadway between 42nd and 47th Street in Times Square starting Sunday night.

"I think it's going to bring more people and they'll be more comfortable," local food vendor John Galanopolous said of the plan, which will also ban cars from 33rd and 35th Street in Herald Square.

Pittsburgh resident Bill Buettin agreed the traffic ban in those areas would make pedestrian travel easier in New York.

"Not having to worry about crosswalks and stop lights makes it that much easier," the tourist told the Daily News.

But at least one New York resident was less than supportive of the plan, which he feels could hinder the city's numerous motorists.

"There's going to be more traffic. It's not going to work," taxi driver Rafi Hassan told the Daily News. "Most of our customers are here."

Bon.

Je suis revenu de new york et j'étais au times square piétonnier.

Quelle déception.

Juste pour clarifier, les rues n'étaient pas fermés, que les deux avenues. Pour ceux qui ne le savent pas, il y a 12 avenues à manahattan qui font en longueur la presqu-ile et les rues viennent les couper.

J'y suis allé un Samedi (c'était ma xième fois à y aller le samedi en auto), le traffic était tolérable (comme notre traffic ici de retour à la maison) toutes ces dernières fois, mais cette fois-ci c'était le bordel total. Juste pour vous donner une idée, une rue était bloquée pour construction, et ça m'as pris un 45 minutes juste pour arriver à ma destination avec le détour!! Et j'avais un GPS pour optimiser mon trajet.

Bon pour revenir à times square piéton, c'était vraiment très ennuyeux, sur les deux avenues qui mènent au times square, les gens étaient assis ou couché sur des chaises de plage... quelle plage? C'était trop silencieux, assez glacial. Des gens, que des touristes, placotaient, mais c'est tout. Pas d'animation ou quoi que ce soit, un groupe de jeunes danceurs s'étaient accaparé un des trotoires pour dancer et ramasser du cash, mais c'est tout. Même les vendeurs de hot-dogs et autres n'y étaient pas en nombre. Les cyclistes eux fonçaient dans la foule sur la bande cyclable, piéton ou pas, ils s'en fichent, j'ai failli me faire heurter...

Au Times Square lui-même, il y avait beaucoup plus de monde, et des gradins illuminés que je n'avais pas vu la dernière fois qui donnaient une vue sur le spectacle qu'est Times Square... sauf que sans traffic automobile et le flot incessant de taxi jaunes qui sont une icone, c'est pas le même Times Square auquel on est habitué. Un Times Square ou le bordel règne n'était pas au rendez-vous. Bref, une foule et des écrans géants illuminés. Il y avait quelques gens déguisés en bonhommes disney pour ramasser de l'argent quand on prend une photo avec (buisness case si vous voulez faire du cash cet été). Des mickey mouse, joker, et autres bonhommes de dessins animés. Je sais pas si c'était prévu ou pas.

J'y suis revenu le soir, et là ils ont ouvert une avenue sur deux et il y avait encore autant de monde, et c'étais encore plus intéressant à cause du semi-bordel qui y régnait maintenant...il y avait un peu plus d'action.

Mais toujours pas le vrai times square auquel j'étais habitué.

I like that idea. It was great last year I was walking around time square and didnt have to worry about a car hitting me, just a ton of people WOW

Citizens will be able to sleep with windows open.

No bip bip from car doors will annoy them.

lol

I hate this idea. I just do not get it.

Of all places, Times Square should be total anarchy...people, sounds, lights, cars, taxis, noice should be encouraged and present.

Not sure about this idea? Somehow, I thikn it'll make Times Square feel less like New-York!

It be sort of like that scene in Vanilla Sky but you'll be with many other people LOL

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Mondo_Grosso
      I know that many of you are against Montreal having it's own version of Time Square, but the point of this post is not to debate that. Rather, it's to look at potential locations if we had to chose one.
      Based on examples like Time Square in New York, Shibuya District in Tokyo,  Piccadilly Circus in London, Dundas Square in Toronto, I defined my own criteria as:
      Must be by an open area Must be close to commercial sector Must be accessible by metro At that, I have come up with Square Concordia, this is the area today:

Here is why I think that this is the ideal area:
      There are 3 large blind walls for the screens High density of 24/hour restaurants and bars High levels of foot traffic at all times Proximity to various festivals There are already renovated squares on each side of the street. The pedestrian area could be expanded to the parking lot on the right. There's a back lane in the lower right corner where food trucks could enter by and park in the square. A stage could also be setup there for events like Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival, Fantasia Film Festival, etc.

Highlighted in green are areas where a screen could go, solid green are screens on top of buildings, the yellow is where I would put food trucks or a stage:

These type of squares a great tourist attractions, both Toronto and New York list them at the top of tourist attractions. I also think that having a second public area in the west of downtown for smaller festivals would be a great compliment to the bigger festivals east at Place Des Festivals.
      Let me know what you think, if you have another suggestion, please share. Thank you for reading!

• By Djentmaster001
      Once again Six Flags has blessed La Ronde with mediocre rides! 
      http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/la-ronde-celebrates-families-with-new-carnaval-en-folie-642350333.html
      Look, it's good that they're adding stuff yearly, and this year for families, but for a park in a large city we should be getting higher quality rides. Anyways, next rumour is Le Monstre will get converted to a hybrid coaster for 2019.
    • By Djentmaster001
      Various pics that I've taken in Montreal, mainly of street art, but I also post pics of buildings, cars, neighbourhoods, etc.... 

I post plenty of pictures here at https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com/

• By monctezuma
      Architecture de qualité !!! J'aime !

Site actuel Street View : http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=2365+saint-patrick,+montr%C3%A9al&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=45.481795,-73.569011&spn=0.01005,0.022724&safe=off&hnear=2365+Rue+Saint+Patrick,+Montr%C3%A9al,+Communaut%C3%A9-Urbaine-de-Montr%C3%A9al,+Qu%C3%A9bec+H3K+1B4&gl=ca&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.481795,-73.569011&panoid=j-C-35jG8-wN6UtYa2dOdQ&cbp=12,328.39,,0,4.97

Site actuel Bird Eye View : http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rkdbsx8w28hz&lvl=18.31&dir=90.13&sty=b&nwyw=1&ss=yp.rue%20saint-patrick%2C%20montr%C3%A9al&form=LMLTCC

http://www.mystsurlecanal.com

*click to enlarge*

*click to enlarge*

*click to enlarge*

*click to enlarge*

Architectes : http://ateliercba.com/
    • By mtlurb
      Viger Project
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Step 1: 2008
      Step 2: 2010

Viger will be a 19-story, 828,000 square foot mixed-use project consisting of a 225,000 square foot hotel, 185,000 square foot of retail space, 385,000 square foot of residential space with parking for 1,400. The hotel portion includes the redevelopment of a 150,000 square foot historic chateau-style hotel.

SUMMARY

Address
      710 Rue Saint-antoine E
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hines' Role
      Development Manager

Net Rentable Area
      Hotel:
      225,000 sq. ft.
      (20,902 sq. meters)

Residential:
      385,000 sq. ft.
      (35,766 sq. meters)

Retail space:
      185,000 sq. ft.
      (17,186 sq. meters)

The renaissance of Viger Square
      Phil O'Brien Senior advisor
      Telemedia DevelopmentI Inc. Mr. Philip O'Brien will be conducting a presentation about the Viger site on the eastern edge of Old Montreal. He will discuss the history of the site: the building of a grand hotel and railway station in what was then the central core of Montreal, its prominence as a prestigious address for business elites, and its cultural significance for the city of Montreal. The context of its decline during the 20th century will be outlined: from the changing economic conditions in the 1930s and its demise to its current state in the urban environment, resulting from the expansion of the railway yards, the digging of the open trench of the Ville-Marie expressway, and the demolition of a vast number of houses to make room for the CBC project. He will then highlight the exciting potential for redevelopment in light of changing local economic conditions and redevelopment opportunities for this area of town.
      Thursday, April 12, 2007
      from 7:30 to 9 a.m.

Ritz-Carlton Montreal
      1228 Sherbrooke Street W.
      chateau_viger.pdf