Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Not a fan of the South Shore expansion: can we stop the urban sprawl please.

Yes, because obviously Longueuil is acre upon acre of farmland.

longg1.jpg

^^ Nobody lives here. Just some empty space. Certainly no high density here.

long2.jpg

^^ Nope, just empty lots that will only promote sprawl should we build a metro station here.

long3.jpg

^^ Nobody lives here, that's for sure. Oh and that's definitely not the largest CEGEP in the entire province.

• Réponses 28
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Really?? I had no idea!

Yeah, ~7000 students. Though the rankings change sometimes, CEGEP Edouard Montpetit has consistently been at the top. CEGEP du Vieux Montreal is pretty big too with its nearly ~6000 students.

I'm not 100% sure about surface area, but i think it's the largest in that department as well.

EDIT: Sorry just to clarify Edouard Montpetit in Longueuil is the largest french-speaking CEGEP in the province. Dawson is still larger with its 10,000 students.

/went to Dawson

//also went to Champlain for a year prior

We all know that Montreal is losing residents to off-island suburbs. That is what I was trying to get at.

Longueuil, especially the areas near the shore, are not suburbs in the figurative sense. They are areas of high density that are closer geographically to the downtown core of Montreal than, say, Rosemont.

Let me repeat that : The part of Longueuil near the shore, where the metro extension is proposed, has a higher population density and is geographically two times closer to downtown Montreal than Rosemont, which is part of the city of Montreal. Yes there's a river, but that river takes only 5 minutes to cross by car or by metro.

I agree urban sprawl is a problem, and i hate to see city-dwellers move to Terrebonne or Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu... but this isn't the case.

I suggest you open up Google Maps and take a look at Saint-Lambert, Brossard and Longueuil. Not that far off, are they. Not that sparsely populated either, are they.

This persistent thing about "being on the island" is ridiculous. If you live in a single-family home on the very western tip of the island of Montreal, you're an on-island city resident?!... yet if you live in a 25 storey condo on the shore of Longueuil or Brossard you're somehow the "off-island surburban guy"?! Even though you're 5-8 minutes from downtown. Now that's just silly.

Longueuil, especially the areas near the shore, are not suburbs in the figurative sense. They are areas of high density that are closer geographically to the downtown core of Montreal than, say, Rosemont.

Let me repeat that : The part of Longueuil near the shore, where the metro extension is proposed, has a higher population density and is geographically two times closer to downtown Montreal than Rosemont, which is part of the city of Montreal. Yes there's a river, but that river takes only 5 minutes to cross by car or by metro.

I agree urban sprawl is a problem, and i hate to see city-dwellers move to Terrebonne or Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu... but this isn't the case.

I suggest you open up Google Maps and take a look at Saint-Lambert, Brossard and Longueuil. Not that far off, are they. Not that sparsely populated either, are they.

This persistent thing about "being on the island" is ridiculous. If you live in a single-family home on the very western tip of the island of Montreal, you're an on-island city resident?!... yet if you live in a 25 storey condo on the shore of Longueuil or Brossard you're somehow the "off-island surburban guy"?! Even though you're 5-8 minutes from downtown. Now that's just silly.

Forget about the very western tip...At least 40% of the people who live ON the island of Montreal (Pretty much everyone WEST of ville St-Laurent, everyone EAST of Lacordaire and everyone North of the 40) live futher away from the core than people who live in Longueuil, St-Lambert, Brossard and Greenfield park!

Remind me to buy you a few pints of beer at our next smoked-meet!!!;);):thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:

And concerning the Cegep Edouard Monpetit area, what we don't see in the picture posted is the Centre Sportif with its gymnasiums and pool (host of many regional, national tournements of different sort).

Also the Théatre de la Ville with its two stages ( 400 and 900 places)

and a Secondary School (Jacques Rousseau).

All are attached together by a coverded passage way.

I would say that this is a pole that attracts quite a big volume of people.

We all know that Montreal is losing residents to off-island suburbs. That is what I was trying to get at.

Oui, bon. À part de pas payer de taxes à Montréal et d'en payer à Longueuil, je me considère aussi comme étant Montréalais. je suis heureux des projets structurants qui se concrétisent à Montréal, comme ceux qui se font à Laval ou Longueuil, ou Kirkland ou St-Laurent. (et moins heureux de ceux à Mirabel, St-Colomban ou Marieville, comme Cataclaw)

J'ai habité durant 5 ans dans le Vieux-Longueuil, dont 2 ans sans voiture. Le supermarché était à 2 minutes de marches, j'avais 3 dépanneurs à 2 minutes de marches (dont 1 à 30 secondes de marche) une buanderie en face de chez nous, à peu près 8 restos sur ma rue, un marché de fruits et légumes sur St-Charles à distance de marche, la bibliothèque aussi.

Le métro Longueuil était à 10-15 minutes de bus et 25 minutes de marche. J'allais au centre-ville en 35 minutes en transport en commun.

Et la rue où j'ai grandi (Grant) ressemble par bouts à une rue typique du plateau. (si si!)

Actuellement, je suis en mode "banlieue", près de l'hôpital Pierre-Boucher, mais je remarque quand même que près de chez nous, beaucoup de blocs à logements existent et le long de Roland-Therrien, c'est plein de méga-blocs (bon, sans aucun charme je l'avoue)

Il est vrai toutefois que Longueuil et Laval sont en mode "mixte", c'est-à-dire que la banlieue et la grande ville s'y mêlent.

Si l'étalement urbain est fait via une autoroute, nécessairement l'urbanisme sera fait en fonction de la voiture... mais si ce développement se fait autour d'un projet de transport en commun structurant (Transit Oriented Development)... je vois pas trop de problème...

On ne peut éviter l'expansion de la région, alors autant que ce soit bien fait. Si on interdit l'accès à des bonnes infrastructures de transport en commun à la banlieue, sous prétexte que ce devrait être Montréal qui bénéficie du budget, on confine l'expansion à se tourner vers l'autoroute, moins coûteuse.