Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 55
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

bel article

c'est vrai que la ville est ''human size''...il apporte de tres bon point

pour une grosse ville, Montreal est beaucoup plus ''habitable'' que d'autres villes de taille semblable en amerique du nord...

ici il y a toujours de l'action dans les rues, pleins de belles places et meme sans auto on peu se deplacer facilement...

• Administrateur

Montreal trip

My brothers have been bugging me for awhile, saying that I needed to go see what Montreal had to offer. So now that my brother, Ryan, is getting married, we decided to take a quick weekend jaunt up there.

They weren’t lying, Montreal is a very nice city. The traffic was almost non-existent, the people were cool (for the most part), and the food was delicious. The city seemed very safe. Girls were walking around by themselves early in the morning, and I didn’t feel the least bit worried for them.

The food was perhaps one of the best things in the city. I had to try poutine, since Mike Stickel raved about it. I thought it looked extremely gross in pictures and did not seem at all appetizing. We asked the hotel man where the best poutine was in the city and he directed us to a little place, so we took our empty stomachs not knowing to expect. I was weary of the “curd” because I had no clue as to what it would taste like, but all worries were relieved after the first bite. The gravy was absurdly tasty and the curd didn’t have a strong taste. It had a great texture, though, which was pretty close to mozzarella cheese. Why can’t this be part of the menu of American culture? Man, it’s good, really really good.

Also, the crepes we had on Sunday morning were choice. They were massive, filled with Nutella and topped with fresh strawberries and bananas. They were excellent and filling. Did I mention filling?

We also did a hike up Mount Royal, which was extremely slushy, but, in the end, worth it. The view of the city was excellent, especially since the sun came out and the visibility increased. The slide back down the hill was quite a bit faster.

Overall, it was an excellent trip, and I would love to go again when it was a little warmer. It wasn’t too cold (near the mid-50’s for the day on Saturday), but I’m sure it would be an even lovelier city with some things in bloom.

You can check out the photo set of the trip here.

http://chrisfehnel.com/2008/04/07/montreal-trip/

• 1 mois plus tard...
  • Administrateur

It’s around 10:25 pm right now In Montreal, oh wait we are still in North America … heehee silly me, there’s no international time zone changes, just some big language change. I’ve heard Montreal is a city to visit before heading to Paris,France . And no kidding. Everything is in French, I think I’ve learned more French in two days than I’ve had (on and off) in the States for a few years now. The most widely used French words (by me) are: hello, thank you, do you speak English - if that one fails - where is the metro, or where is the … point at the street name on the map (because after a few tries I’ve finally giving up pronouncing street names in french), in some areas almost everyone speaks perfect English, then some parts only a few can speak back in English, all in all everyone is super friendly, also during our daytime adventure out about town - a very cute boy asked me out for dinner - which I think was very sweet.

We are Staying at the hyatt, which is perfect because it is RIGHT across the streets from Place des Arts, a very lovely Art Center/people watching square (Also pretty easy metro stop to remember as well ‘Place Des Arts’). Earlier during the day we went into the art center for a free gallery exhibit, the series are all done by local artist - I have to say been visiting art galleries all over the country (I wasn’t even planning to go into Place des Arts if it wasn’t Free) there are a few very unimaginable pieces which I still couldn’t wrap my mind around, very interesting (too bad, no photos were allowed). We are also about 5mins to Downtown - McGill (the popular Underground City), Walking distances to St. Catherine + St. Laurent

Alright, alright we are heading out for dinner Downtown, I’ll post some pictures and stuff once i get back to the states. Didn’t take too many pictures, it’s hard to capture such a beautiful city with just a few photos - to experience Montreal - it’s beautiful city scape, hassle free lifestyle, ultra friendly residents - you have to visit Montreal!

Au Revoir

http://dannieg.com/2008/05/25/bonjour-montreal/

• Administrateur

Monday, May 26, 2008

Quebec vs. Montreal

In his latest post BB wrote about how he loves going back to Quebec city, how he feels he has deep roots there.

Neither of us were born there, but our family (on both sides) hails from Quebec city for generations. So yeah, there are roots I suppose.

But unlike BB, I feel the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, Quebec is a nice place to visit, but I would never want to live there again.

I've never felt comfortable there. I always felt just a little off, not quite in the groove of the place. As though the track is right there and try as I might I'm always six inches out of it.

And despite BB's contention, it's not because I'm into the nightlife - I got over that, like many people do, in my 30s. And I don't prefer Montreal because of Mr. Jazz - I didn't like Quebec way before Mr. Jazz ever entered the picture.

I don't know what it is about Quebec that grates on me. The fact that, other than the old town - approximately 5 square km - it's one big sprawling suburb where everything has a sort of cookie cutter sameness about it? That's definitely part of it. The fact that I've never felt I fit in? Also part of it. The francophone whiteness of Quebec city also doesn't do it for me (of course, the all white all french thing is pretty much par for the course everywhere in Quebec outside of Montreal).

Whatever it is, no roots there for me, or at any rate, roots that were very easily pulled out.

When I got to Montreal, on the other hand, I felt at home right away. Montreal has an energy that Quebec simply does not. It has a huge diverisity of people and styles and cultures. It was an easy fit for me, there is no set path. When I set foot on the corner of Maisonneuve and Peel I knew I had found my place, that this is where I was meant to be. I never looked back, never missed Quebec, and honestly pretty much the only reason I ever go back is to see my sister and mother. I'd perhaps go once every few years to play tourist, but no more. It holds nothing for me, it doesn't draw me. At all. Contrary to Montreal.

In the past 25 years, I've put down my own roots here, I've found the love of my life, and made a life for myself that I'm not at all sure I could have found in Quebec. When I'm on the highway, on my way back from Quebec, I'm coming home. It's as visceral and BB's feeling for Quebec, and for a city that, unlike me, he's never really warmed up to.

Funny that, same family, same roots and such a different take on two perfectly neutral places.

http://haphazardlife.blogspot.com/2008/05/quebec-vs-montreal.html

• 1 mois plus tard...

June 27, 2008

Hunt: Longue Vie a MONTRÉAL!

By James Hunt

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - For those of you who have had the distinct pleasure of attending the Montreal Formula One Grand Prix, I think you would agree that the experience can be summed up in two words: unbelievably spectacular! The cars, the people, the food (the nightlife!) and the overall scene are simply amazing. In my opinion, wherever you combine European Culture and the world's most advanced race cars good things happen. For those of you who have never attended this event, but have even .001% interest in Motorsports, I highly recommend making it a top priority.

For the past three years I have been going with a large group of friends and family to watch this amazing event- a.k.a "paying homage to the Motorsports Gods." Normally, going to a racetrack as a spectator is torture for any driver. This is the one time every year where I am ecstatic about being a spectator, plastering myself to the fence like a Gumby magnet on the side of a refrigerator!

My favorite part of the entire weekend for the last three years has happened on Friday morning. The day always starts the same: we cram onto the subway train with hordes of rabid Formula One fans- all wearing their Ferrari and BMW gear, and reeking of booze. The train arrives and the ravenous hordes disperse quickly as they head for their favorite spots.

We navigate the crowd as efficiently as a blind squirrel searching for a nut in the hopes of placing ourselves one human closer to our ceremonial 1st viewing spot. As we continue to bob and weave through the human traffic jam, it happens. I hear a sound in the distance; getting closer, and closer.

My skin begins to tingle. Every hair on my body stands up. I can see it now, and what a sight to behold! I'm staring at 19,000 rpms of controlled chaos packed into one of the most impressive examples of human engineering that exists on this planet; and it's headed right for me. I grasp the fence and brace myself for a delightfully defining experience as the first car blows past me at about 150 mph (that's around 241 kph for our European friends). I can feel that big uncontrollable grin spread across my entire face.

I'm in heaven.

Coming back to earth, however, the rational part of my brain starts reminding me that I'm here for another reason as well. I'm working to become a professional driver now and it's time for business.

While at the track I had the distinct pleasure of being introduced to a friend from SPEED Canada. Believe me when I tell you, I could not have asked for a better host: not only does he know the sport inside and out, but he also knows all the right people. As I have learned recently, business is not just about what you know, it's who you know.

Through my friend from SPEED I was introduced to the Vice President of Pole Position Magazine, a very popular French Canadian Motorsports magazine. They were kind enough to interview me for a feature article that will be published in next month's (July) issue. So, if you can speak French, or have been dying to learn, you should pick yourself up a copy or check out their website, http://www.poleposition.ca/.

Aside from the successful business aspect of the trip-and the Friday highlight-I was ecstatic about my team, BMW Sauber, finishing 1st and 2nd. Robert, Nick and the entire crew really did a terrific job. Great work guys!

As a result the weekend was a dual success on both the James Hunt Racing, LLC side AND on the BMW of North America employee side. Talk about a win-win! The 1st place finish marked Robert Kubica's, as well as our relatively new team's first F1 victory (of many more, I am sure).

To read more of James Hunt's piece, visit http://formula-one.speedadmin.mindcomet.net/article/f1-james-hunt-longue-vie-a-montreal/.

http://www.grand-am.com/koni/news/index.cfm?cid=17740