Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

McGill has a budget of $1,3 billion and an endowment of $1,65 billion. It is by far the biggest-wealthiest university in the province (UdM being the second biggest with a budget of 1,05 billion and an endowment of $340M). As such they are considered amongst the "rich" universities, and they just got richer.  Don't see what's so controversial with that statement. The more capital you own, the more you are able to attract wealth faster.  Of course, the fact that our universities are public means that there is a distribution of wealth of sorts, but it doesn't change from the fact that McGill (and to a lesser extent UdM) are richer and get more private financial backing. 

• Like 1

il y a 2 minutes, Gotti a dit :

Just to build on your thought.

For the life of me, I can't understand the unjustified anger that exists in certain spheres to McGill. As an internationally-renowned research university, McGill adds so much dynamism, economic activity, international exposure and prestige to Montreal and to Quebec. We should all embrace the school's strengths and help it excel further. Which is exactly what this donation is doing. 

Unfortunately, rather than promoting McGill and helping other Montreal-based higher education institutions get better, there is often a covert or even overt message that it's a zero sum game and that when McGill wins all the others lose. 

Members on this forum have to stop projecting their biases onto others. All I said was that the wealthiest university in the province just got richer. Is that not a factual, non-editorial-ish observation? Geez. 

Modifié par fmfranck

25 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

Members on this forum have to stop projecting their biases onto others. All I said was that the wealthiest university in the province just got richer. Is that not a factual, non-editorial-ish observation? Geez. 

It is. 

My comment was more general and simply used the reply to yours as an opening. 

I think we can ALL get behind more donations like this to any and all Quebec universities!

24 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

I mean, yes, it is factual and non editorial. You've even provided supporting statistics. 

I suppose it came across with a negative connotation, as I feel that the "rich are getting richer" comment usual does. That said, reactions tend to be knee-jerkish. I will assume that I have misinterpreted the nature of your original comment and will happily retract my protest downvote :)

But the fact remains that it isnt all universities that receive such donations. Therefore the rich keep getting richer. It is what it is.

I am totally glad that Concordia got the JMSB investments and that UdM is getting Campus Mil and got a brand new CHUM, that McGill got a brand new CUSM and might get its Royal Vic 700M$ dollar revamp, and that UQAM got its Complexe des Sciences. I think we're all glad that public founding does seem to spread out across all universities.

Private funding, however, seem to revolve around the biggest and wealthiest universities. This isnt a jab at anybody, its just the way that capitalism works. 

il y a 8 minutes, rufus96 a dit :

I mean, yes, it is factual and non editorial. You've even provided supporting statistics. 

I suppose it came across with a negative connotation, as I feel that the "rich are getting richer" comment usual does. That said, reactions tend to be knee-jerkish. I will assume that I have misinterpreted the nature of your original comment and will happily retract my protest downvote :)

Haha. Fair enough. ;)

il y a 1 minute, fmfranck a dit :

But the fact remains that it isnt all universities that receive such donations. Therefore the rich keep getting richer. It is what it is.

I am totally glad that Concordia got the JMSB investments and that UdM is getting Campus Mil and got a brand new CHUM, that McGill got a brand new CUSM and might get its Royal Vic 700M$ dollar revamp, and that UQAM got its Complexe des Sciences. I think we're all glad that public founding does seem to spread out across all universities.

Private funding, however, seem to revolve around the biggest and wealthiest universities. This isnt a jab at anybody, its just the way that capitalism works. 

Les donateurs ont aussi étudié à Mcgill ce qui peut expliquer le choix

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ousb said:

Les donateurs ont aussi étudié à Mcgill ce qui peut expliquer le choix

Je douterais qu'un bon samaritain donne 200M à une université quelconque sans aucune affiliation. Comme on dit, le soleil se lève à l'est et se couche a l'ouest.