Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By IluvMTL
      http://www.vieux.montreal.qc.ca/accueil.htm
      [

Visite éclair Grand tour en 150 images Des siècles d'histoire Plan lumière Découverte de la fortification de Montréal Trois courts métrages : L'archéologie montréalaise en vedette sur You Tube

Musées, attraits et espaces publics Vieux-Port de Montréal Calendrier des activités et expositions

Carte officielle et circuit lumière Cartes, localisation et accès Informations touristiques Autobus 715 – Vieux-Montréal / Vieux-Port / Centre-Ville Hôtels et auberges Shopping et divertissement Carte des stationnements
      dans le Vieux-Montréal et environs Carte pour les autobus touristiques  
      Galerie de photos Communiqués  
      Guide pour la réalisation de travaux Portrait socio-économique Sondage auprès des clientèles Le Vieux-Montréal en calèche :
      manuel de formation pour les cochers  

Projet de plan de protection et de mise en valeur
      du Vieux-Montréal Réaménagement de la place d'Armes 2009-2012 Vision Vieux-Montréal 2017 La Table de concertation du Vieux-Montréal, une interface efficace Imaginer la place d'Armes Plaque tournante montréalaise Déclaration de Montréal lors de la 8e Conférence mondiale des villes historiques Site de la Ville de Montréal sur le patrimoine architectural Aménagement du square des Frères-Charon Entente sur le développement culturel
      de Montréal Sites internet complémentaires  
    • By WestAust
      Jacques Villeneuve en coupe Nextel dès 2008

Le pilote québécois Jacques Villeneuve ferait son entrée en coupe Nextel de la série NASCAR dès 2008. C’est du moins ce que rapporte Le Journal de Montréal dans son édition de samedi.

Villeneuve doit faire des essais dans un camion de l'écurie Bill Davis Racing de la série Craftsman, lundi et mardi. Mais Davis aurait déjà annoncé au paddock que Villeneuve conduirait l'une de ses Toyota Camry en série Nextel en 2008.

Davis aurait même annoncé que Jacques Villeneuve disputerait les sept dernières courses au calendrier de la série Craftsman, en plus de disputer les deux dernières courses de la saison en coupe Nextel.
    • By begratto
      Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Feast on Montreal's wonderful charm

Erica Johnston / Washington Post

I've been captivated by Montreal since my first trip there almost 20 years ago, drawn in by two things in particular: the bowls of hot chocolate offered at the city's many cafes -- hey, why settle for a measly cup? -- and the people who packed the streets in July and August, soaking in the two-month party they call summer. It seemed as busy as midtown Manhattan at rush hour, but these people were smiling.

So when my oldest and best friend and I realized that our 40th "anniversary" was approaching, I managed to talk her into a celebratory trip over a long weekend. To Montreal, of course.

When I arrived on a summer-like fall afternoon, a day before Kathy, I hit the streets. It had been eight years since my last visit. Had I exaggerated the city's charms?

From our hotel downtown, I walked a mile or so, past the edge of Chinatown and through the Latin Quarter to the Plateau, the neighborhood where my affection for the city first took root.

Along the leafy side streets, spiral staircases wind their way up the outsides of cozy rowhouses. Somehow, it seemed that if I knocked on a few doors, I'd find someone I knew. A few blocks away, Mount Royal, the modest mountain and majestic park on the neighborhood's western flank, rises over the city, offering a constant compass and an instant refuge to anyone who needs one.

In a bakery, a boy of about 4 offered me his friendliest "Allo!" I did my best to respond in kind: "Allo."

"Oh," he responded. His smile never broke. "Hello!"

And that seems to sum up the language issue -- for tourists, anyway. It's far more complicated for residents -- in the place generally acknowledged to be the world's second-biggest French-speaking city. French? English? Whatever. We can work with you.

Nearly everyone who crossed our path was unrelentingly friendly. Even the illuminated "man" in the crossing signals has a spring in his step; check it out. Along Rue St. Denis, a beautifully dressed woman stepped out of an elegant bakery with an elaborately wrapped sandwich and handed it with a smile to a homeless stranger. By the time a Metro toll taker wished us a good life -- and seemed to mean it -- we weren't especially impressed.

We walked along the lovely Rue Laurier from east to west, from a low-key weekend street market to the decidedly upmarket blocks of fancy shops west of Rue St. Laurent. That street, also called "The Main," has historically served as the unofficial line separating the city's French culture from its English-speaking stronghold.

Today's Montreal is often a wonderful jumble, with strong strands of distinct cultures living amongst one another. It's been called a salad bowl -- the concept of Canadian diversity as separate components complementing each other, as compared with the American ideal of the melting pot.

In few places is this more true than in Mile End, a historically Jewish enclave that was one of my favorite discoveries of the trip.

Mile End, the boyhood home of the late novelist Mordechai Richler (along with his famous protagonist, Duddy Kravitz), is gentrifying rapidly. But though the challenge of change in the neighborhood just north of the swanky part of Rue Laurier riles some, others revel in it.

To the outsider, the place offers a kaleidoscopic array: The Asian teenager with an Orthodox Jew's side locks ambles along Rue St. Viateur. At a street corner, black-clad Goth girls check out South American pan flutists. Butcher shops of seemingly every Eastern European persuasion line the streets.

Here's where you get your Montreal bagels, smaller, denser and sweeter than their American counterparts. Their supporters insist that these rounds, boiled in honeyed water before baking, are the real deal; the recipe allegedly was brought over by Romanian Jews in the early 1900s.

From there, we continued on a mile or so north, to the Little Italy neighborhood and -- more to the point -- the Jean-Talon Market, a huge, year-round public market for regionally grown meats, cheeses, fruits and vegetables. Such spots often serve as my museums, telling me more about a place than most collections of art or artifacts ever could.

It was a Saturday, and the joint was jammed with more than 100 stalls and thousands of Montrealers, all pondering the same age-old question: What's for dinner?

On Sunday night, as our time wound down, we followed our trip to its logical conclusion: dinner at Au Pied de Cochon, a boisterous bistro that offers an unabashed homage to all creatures fat and fowl, a cuisine that is profoundly, jubilantly Quebecois. Chef Martin Picard, a darling of the back-to-the-land school of cooking, looks like a lumberjack, and kind of cooks like one, too. On the menu: "The Big Happy Pig's Chop," "the Pig's Foot" and steak that tends to be venison, when it's in season. If forced to choose, I'd say our favorite meal was at La Montee de Lait, a smallish refuge tucked into a quiet corner of the Plateau that offers a fixed-price parade of exquisite small plates.

And then, sadly, the time came to put down our forks and back away slowly. The air had turned seasonably chilly, and we marveled at the Montrealers sitting at sidewalk cafes. For us, it was freezing, and unthinkable. But they were enjoying it while they could, knowing that everything -- even the temperature -- is relative. And the bowls of hot chocolate couldn't have hurt, either.
    • By ouaouaron
      En commençant par mon préféré sur de la Montagne, un projet qui redonne vie aux façades de 3 vieux Graystones. C'est vraiment bien ce qui se passe dans le coin avec le Ritz, le Lépine, le Musée, peut-être Holts, etc. Le Golden Mile reprendrait-il vie?

La Baie - Nouvelle annonce Sony en cours d'installation

Square Phillips

Gillete Lofts

Westin

Westin et Hôtel Français - Rumeur d'un Buddha Bar à l'intérieur

Immeuble dans le Vieux

Séminaire - Très noir, désolé

BMO

• By LindbergMTL
      The New York Times
      Printer Friendly Format Sponsored By

April 6, 2008
      30 Seconds
      With Alex Ovechkin
      By LEW SERVISS

The fans chant “M.V.P.!” when Alex Ovechkin scores at the Verizon Center in Washington. They have had a lot of practice this season. Ovechkin, the 22-year-old dynamo from Moscow, scored his 65th goal Thursday, breaking the season goal-scoring record for a left wing set by Luc Robitaille of the Los Angeles Kings in the 1992-93 season. The next task for Ovechkin is to help the Capitals advance in the postseason; Washington secured a playoff berth Saturday night. LEW SERVISS

BEST THING ABOUT LIVING IN WASHINGTON Good people here and just I like it here

WHAT DO YOU MISS MOST ABOUT RUSSIA? My family, my friends

FAVORITE VIDEO GAME Counter-Strike

THE BEST THING ABOUT SCORING A GOAL The celebration

WHO WOULD PLAY YOU IN THE MOVIE “THE ALEX OVECHKIN STORY”? Probably Jim Carrey

THE SPORT YOU’RE WORST AT American football probably
      FAVORITE CITY TO VISIT Montreal

IF YOU WEREN’T A HOCKEY PLAYER, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? Probably playing soccer

LEAST FAVORITE FOOD Sushi

FAVORITE DRESSING ROOM MUSIC Hip-hop

ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR? No

WHAT’S BETTER THAN MAKING THE PLAYOFFS? Nothing

Home
      Contact Us
      * Work for Us
      * Site Map

Pour moi il va avoir une opportunité de visiter notre belle ville, plusieurs fois ce printemps!
adblock_message_value
adblock_accept_btn_value