Housing market seen following commodities

Value of building permits drops. Homes in Montreal, elsewhere overvalued by 10%, Merrill Lynch economist says

ALIA MCMULLEN, Canwest News Service

Published: 8 hours ago

An outright decline in commodity prices could spell disaster for Canada's housing market, which already appears to have entered a "sustained downturn," David Wolf, an economist at Merrill Lynch Canada, warned yesterday.

He said while the risk of a housing market crash was small, an "outright bust" in commodity prices would make the scenario "a rather more serious threat."

The recent trickle of data has shown a significant slowdown in the country's housing market, following its record pace of growth. Demand has eased, supply continues to creep up, credit conditions remain tight, and house-price growth has turned flat with declines in some regions.

The value of building permits in June fell a seasonally adjusted 5.3 per cent from the previous month, indicating that construction activity in the coming months probably will be lower, Statistics Canada figures showed yesterday. The data is notoriously volatile, but the trend rate of growth for residential building has declined since the beginning of the year.

"Canada's housing market is entering a sustained downturn, in our view," Wolf said. "It does look like Canadian houses finally got too expensive, and builders too aggressive, for the underlying demand environment."

He estimated that markets with the strongest price growth in recent years, such as Regina, Saskatoon, Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Sudbury, Ont., and Montreal, were all more than 10 per cent overvalued. On a national basis, Wolf predicts house price growth to remain flat.

Merrill Lynch expects commodity prices to moderate over the medium term, a scenario that would aid in the housing market downturn but not cause an outright bust.

Others, such as the CIBC, have a more bullish forecast for commodities, namely oil, expecting prices to continue to rise. This would continue to support Canada's terms of trade by bringing in higher export revenue relative to the amount spent on imports.

But Wolf said the risk of a housing crash would become "a serious threat" if the recent correction in commodities continued because it could cause the terms of trade to deteriorate.

The price of light crude has fallen about 18 per cent since peaking at a record high of $147.27 U.S. a barrel on July 11. Light crude for September delivery settled at $120.02 U.S. a barrel in New York yesterday.

"The takeoff in commodity prices since 2002 has driven an enormous improvement in Canada's terms of trade, accounting for much of the strong growth in Canadian national income that has, in turn, provided the fundamental underpinning for the housing market boom," Wolf said.

A Bank of Canada working paper by senior analyst Hajime Tomura earlier this year argued that a decline in the terms of trade would likely cause house prices to fall. It said "if households are uncertain about the duration of an improvement in the terms of trade, then house prices will abruptly drop when the terms of trade stop improving."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By bucketsofrain
      This is for the land currently owned by Provigo on the corner of de Maisonneuve and Claremont on the south east corner. There was a public consultation for residents and the following is the project:

30k square feet for grocery store (Provigo Urban concept)

10 apartments for families of kids who are staying at hospital
      Office space for Children's foundation

255 senior apartments for 55+ from le Groupe Maurice

Not a very nice looking building!
      10 story building

Construction summer/fall 2015
      Opening 2017-2018
    • By mtlurb
      Remember that Tunnel building on De Maisonneuve?
    • By elie
      Hi, I'm trying to find information about the patrimonial buildings of ''New City Gas of Montreal'' located inside Ottawa, Ann, Dalhousie and Wellington streets.
      Will there be any construction in the future?
      How high can the build?
      Any plans already available?
      Thank you for any info you might have!
    • By mtlurb
      Viger Project
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Step 1: 2008
      Step 2: 2010

Viger will be a 19-story, 828,000 square foot mixed-use project consisting of a 225,000 square foot hotel, 185,000 square foot of retail space, 385,000 square foot of residential space with parking for 1,400. The hotel portion includes the redevelopment of a 150,000 square foot historic chateau-style hotel.

SUMMARY

Address
      710 Rue Saint-antoine E
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hines' Role
      Development Manager

Net Rentable Area
      Hotel:
      225,000 sq. ft.
      (20,902 sq. meters)

Residential:
      385,000 sq. ft.
      (35,766 sq. meters)

Retail space:
      185,000 sq. ft.
      (17,186 sq. meters)

The renaissance of Viger Square
      Phil O'Brien Senior advisor
      Telemedia DevelopmentI Inc. Mr. Philip O'Brien will be conducting a presentation about the Viger site on the eastern edge of Old Montreal. He will discuss the history of the site: the building of a grand hotel and railway station in what was then the central core of Montreal, its prominence as a prestigious address for business elites, and its cultural significance for the city of Montreal. The context of its decline during the 20th century will be outlined: from the changing economic conditions in the 1930s and its demise to its current state in the urban environment, resulting from the expansion of the railway yards, the digging of the open trench of the Ville-Marie expressway, and the demolition of a vast number of houses to make room for the CBC project. He will then highlight the exciting potential for redevelopment in light of changing local economic conditions and redevelopment opportunities for this area of town.
      Thursday, April 12, 2007
      from 7:30 to 9 a.m.

Ritz-Carlton Montreal
      1228 Sherbrooke Street W.
      chateau_viger.pdf
    • By mtlurb
      I feel a bit nostalgic, last year in December I went to visit my home country for the first time since coming to Montréal.

I was shocked the moment I entered the "International" Airport of Damascus, I knew right away I was in a different planet.

I thought that my initial shock would pass away, but no, it went from one shock to another.

When I left Syria I was 7 years old, and I remember barely anything from there, while being born in Aleppo (second largest city), I lived all my life in a small town (300k) by the name of Al Qamishly on the border with Turkey and near Iraq.

That city became slowly invaded by poor and restless Kurds.

Everyone was telling me that Damascus was beautiful, modern, etc... well I can tell you that after seeing what Damascus was all about, I was not so thrilled to see the smaller towns and villages.

Oh well, here's the tale in pictures of a spoiled Montrealer in Syria:

First signs of western influence, laughed my ass off:)

It is believed there's something like 4000 mosque in Damascus alone... thats alot of highrises

THis is the Parlimant of the Syrian Republic... I took the pic without being noticed by the secret service dudes near me in an unmarked white car:D

A pedestrian only street, you can shop all you want

My host, Roudain

One of the most if not most important shopping streets in Damascus

The almighty Ministry of Economy and Trade... aka Mafia

...err Club not Clup

Steets in eternal old Damascus:

In Montreal we call that a ruelle, but its almost ten time smaller... yes people do live here

Notice the black exterior walls, they were white but because of the pollution they became black....

Satelite dishes paradise.......

Notice the mountain in the background and the dark area at its bottom...

the dark is in reality savage construction done everywhere without any control or restraint... sad, imagine the Mont-Royal like that...

Commie blocks

Thats inside a restaurant on top of the mountain, sadly its empty because no one goes out in "winter"

The patio...

Damascus at night from the mountain

Day one is over, i will post more in the coming days...
adblock_message_value
adblock_accept_btn_value