Canada must throw open the doors to foreign ownership in telecommunications, air travel and uranium mining and allow bank mergers if it is to avoid falling farther behind in the global economy, a competition review panel said Thursday.

The panel's report urged a two-phased easing of telecommunications limits designed to increase the number of competitors in Canada rather than simply open the door for foreign buyouts of existing companies. In the first phase, foreign companies would be allowed to own a Canadian telecommunications firm that has less than a 10-per-cent market share. That would allow foreign companies to start up a new cellphone carrier or internet provider in Canada, for example, or buy a smaller player.

Foreign takeovers of larger companies would then be allowed after five years, at which time a broader review of broadcasting and cultural policies would take place. The panel said the government could still regulate Canadian content requirements, but said these wouldn't need to be tied to the actual pipes over which the media is transmitted.

(Courtesy of CBC News)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By monctezuma
      Nom: Les Bassins, phase 1
      Hauteur: 8 étages
      Coût du projet:

Promoteur: Prével / Rachel Julien
      Architecte:
      Emplacement: (voir carte ci-dessous)

Début de construction: décembre 2011
      Fin de construction:

Site internet: http://www.lesbassins.ca

• By Mondo_Grosso
      I know that many of you are against Montreal having it's own version of Time Square, but the point of this post is not to debate that. Rather, it's to look at potential locations if we had to chose one.
      Based on examples like Time Square in New York, Shibuya District in Tokyo,  Piccadilly Circus in London, Dundas Square in Toronto, I defined my own criteria as:
      Must be by an open area Must be close to commercial sector Must be accessible by metro At that, I have come up with Square Concordia, this is the area today:

Here is why I think that this is the ideal area:
      There are 3 large blind walls for the screens High density of 24/hour restaurants and bars High levels of foot traffic at all times Proximity to various festivals There are already renovated squares on each side of the street. The pedestrian area could be expanded to the parking lot on the right. There's a back lane in the lower right corner where food trucks could enter by and park in the square. A stage could also be setup there for events like Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival, Fantasia Film Festival, etc.

Highlighted in green are areas where a screen could go, solid green are screens on top of buildings, the yellow is where I would put food trucks or a stage:

These type of squares a great tourist attractions, both Toronto and New York list them at the top of tourist attractions. I also think that having a second public area in the west of downtown for smaller festivals would be a great compliment to the bigger festivals east at Place Des Festivals.
      Let me know what you think, if you have another suggestion, please share. Thank you for reading!

• By mtlurb
      I feel a bit nostalgic, last year in December I went to visit my home country for the first time since coming to Montréal.

I was shocked the moment I entered the "International" Airport of Damascus, I knew right away I was in a different planet.

I thought that my initial shock would pass away, but no, it went from one shock to another.

When I left Syria I was 7 years old, and I remember barely anything from there, while being born in Aleppo (second largest city), I lived all my life in a small town (300k) by the name of Al Qamishly on the border with Turkey and near Iraq.

That city became slowly invaded by poor and restless Kurds.

Everyone was telling me that Damascus was beautiful, modern, etc... well I can tell you that after seeing what Damascus was all about, I was not so thrilled to see the smaller towns and villages.

Oh well, here's the tale in pictures of a spoiled Montrealer in Syria:

First signs of western influence, laughed my ass off:)

It is believed there's something like 4000 mosque in Damascus alone... thats alot of highrises

THis is the Parlimant of the Syrian Republic... I took the pic without being noticed by the secret service dudes near me in an unmarked white car:D

A pedestrian only street, you can shop all you want

My host, Roudain

One of the most if not most important shopping streets in Damascus

The almighty Ministry of Economy and Trade... aka Mafia

...err Club not Clup

Steets in eternal old Damascus:

In Montreal we call that a ruelle, but its almost ten time smaller... yes people do live here

Notice the black exterior walls, they were white but because of the pollution they became black....

Satelite dishes paradise.......

Notice the mountain in the background and the dark area at its bottom...

the dark is in reality savage construction done everywhere without any control or restraint... sad, imagine the Mont-Royal like that...

Commie blocks

Thats inside a restaurant on top of the mountain, sadly its empty because no one goes out in "winter"

The patio...

Damascus at night from the mountain

Day one is over, i will post more in the coming days...
    • By Grumpy
      I am living in a very crowded part of Europe , in the triangle Paris-London-Amsterdam so from time to time I'll go to this part of northern France where there is space and a lot of free nature to stroll through:

Let me show you some pictures of Cote d'Opale: unspoiled beauty

• By mtlurb
      Montreal police learned from previous school shootings

By The Associated Press
      When a lone gunman entered Dawson college in Montreal and began shooting last September, police counted on new procedures and a bit of luck to neutralize the assailant quickly.

Kimveer Gill, 25, opened fire at the downtown Montreal college last September, slaying a young woman and wounding 19 other people before he turned the gun on himself as police cornered him.

As luck would have it police officers on the scene for an unrelated matter were rapid first responders able to spot the suspect. But in a city which had seen two college shootings in the 17 previous years, police had also gained experience from the previous incidents to keep the situation from getting out of control.

Montreal Police Chief Yvan Delorme said last September that precious lessons learned from other mass shootings had taught police to try to stop such assaults as quickly as possible.

"Before our technique was to establish a perimeter around the place and wait for the SWAT team. Now the first police officers go right inside. The way they acted saved lives," he said.

Montreal police refused to comment Monday about the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech, but as Americans try to make sense of the deadliest campus massacre in U.S. history which left at least 33 dead, including the gunman, questions have begun to emerge about the time allowed to elapse before authorities contained the shooting.

In Canada the lessons were painfully learned from the Dec. 6, 1989 college shooting at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique, Canada's bloodiest, during which Marc Lepine entered a classroom at the engineering school, separated the men from the women, told the men to leave and opened fire, killing 14 women before killing himself.

While shots rang out at Ecole Polytechnique emergency personnel "had a perimeter outside and they waited. No one went inside," Delorme recalled last September.

Another shooting in Montreal occurred in 1992, when a Concordia University professor killed four colleagues.

By last September Montreal officers had changed their modus operandi and rushed into the building only a few minutes after the gunman.
      "This time it was very efficient, very proactive," Delorme then said.

Aaron Cohen, a SWAT trainer based in California, said time is of the
      essence during such circumstances, as the quick intervention in Montreal eventually showed, avoiding a similar bloodbath.

"While they wait another innocent person is dead. There's just no time to sit around," Cohen told Canada's CBC TV. "It has to be fast.

On Monday a gunman opened fire in a Virginia Tech dorm and then, two hours later, shot up a classroom building across campus, killing 32 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history. The gunman committed suicide, bringing the death toll to 33.

Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said authorities believed that the shooting at the dorm was a domestic dispute and mistakenly thought the gunman had fled the campus.

Copyright The Associated Press 2007. All Rights Reserved
      Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
adblock_message_value
adblock_accept_btn_value