Aller au contenu

Miami

chico

Messages recommendés

3 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

You know why I didn't compare Miami proper and Montreal proper? Because the size of Miami's population is way too small and not representative of the metro area.

Miami has a 445k population which skews the stats and has lots of poverty, as if I took Laval and said it represent the whole of GMA (they have the same population).

This is why I compared Florida and Quebec. I still stand by those numbers... 

Disposable income is where its at, 33k CAD vs 54K USD( 72k CAD).... almost 2.5 times.

That's why I compared the whole county vs the city of Montreal :) see? not so hard. 

• Haha 1

• Administrateur
il y a 2 minutes, Djentmaster001 a dit :

That's why I compared the whole county vs the city of Montreal :) see? not so hard. 

Sure but again, I feel like its a discussion between deaf people. As i mentioned as a high earner, the numbers you quoted are no problem. It would actually mean I would live very comfortably there.

I prefer their lifestyle than ours.

Prefer their weather than ours.

I am talking about myself and only me, not every quebecois or montrealer.

You dont agree fine, not sure why you coming back.

6 minutes ago, internationalx said:

Isn't this a fun thread.... the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  It's just different grass.    Just some thoughts... and my personal opinions based on experience and the experience of people I know who live or have lived there.

Lots of pros and cons here re: Miami and South Florida.   I have been going there since I was a baby so I know it well.  I too used to be so taken by it.  But, no thanks.    The region is kind of a joke. Miami the next great Metropolis?  Sure.  It's resort town.  

Honestly, the people aren't very smart and it is a very rude and entitled culture down there.  It's also like the world capital of ill-gotten gains; the place oozes international criminality and sinister activity like I've never seen elsewhere.   Yes, it exists in every major city, but in Miami it's like it's on display; out in the open and with pride.  It's like the US party capital of the international underworld and corrupt politicians from 2nd and 3rd world nations.  

As far as an "urban" center, it's basically towers connected by giant lifeless boulevards and endless strip malls.   Everything is a version of "towers in the park"  even the strip malls.  (Now, Miami Beach is different in that it has a more pre-war, dense, urban fabric.)   

With all the wealth pouring in, it should greatly improve the cultural offerings (museums and such).   It's institutions of higher learning are well, not exactly highly regarded.   

The weather is seductive, no doubt but Montreal is far superior a place.  Full stop.  Miami may be growing up but it's lost all of its charms.  It's not place I particular like anymore.  A long weekend is nice here and there.  

I'm happy someone understands this. I have no idea how the hell I did nearly two decades there. Montreal is much more superior, from our neighbourhoods, to transit, to food, to culture, education, so on and so forth. Yeah we have winter and high taxes, at least I won't get scammed by some random shmuck or get my housing knocked down because of drug lords and the 0.1%. 

Even with all the wealth pouring in, Miami is still facing brain drain. Locals still head to SF, NYC, LA, Charlotte and some even to Canada. They get better education for cheaper/same and then get higher paying jobs. The people moving to Miami all have their remote work in other cities, double rents and push out locals. A solid two bedroom in downtown Montreal, which has more cultural amenities and areas is about $1700 a month. Brickell? It's about $6,000 now, with the only offerings being some celebrity ran/rich sCommunauté urbaine de Montréalbag ran restaurant or shops that noone can afford. Meanwhile here, you're blocks away from a beautiful river, islands, mountain ranges, a Koreatown, a Chinatown, a historical district, N.A's largest entertainment district and all the cool urban neighbourhoods. 

I'm not surprised people keep falling for "Miami being the greatest city/utopia" ever stiff. They've always been good at marketing. Talk to locals, 95% want out... that says more than expats. 

• Like 3

Il y a 7 heures, internationalx a dit :

As far as an "urban" center, it's basically towers connected by giant lifeless boulevards and endless strip malls.   Everything is a version of "towers in the park"  even the strip malls.  (Now, Miami Beach is different in that it has a more pre-war, dense, urban fabric.)

I didn't want to comment on this thread because it is already very off-topic but this is one of my biggest negatives with Miami (and Florida as a whole). The urban experience is horrible, especially compared to Montreal. Getting out of your car is not even worth it unless you have a death wish.

• Administrateur
Il y a 9 heures, UniDerp a dit :

I didn't want to comment on this thread because it is already very off-topic but this is one of my biggest negatives with Miami (and Florida as a whole). The urban experience is horrible, especially compared to Montreal. Getting out of your car is not even worth it unless you have a death wish.

Miami Beach, yes it's a different urban fabric (and different city), but in the last few years has an immense problem with homeless people and crime. It's not interesting to go there anymore as it used to be.

• D'accord 1

I meant the quality of the urban planning. Despite its towers, the city feels very suburban. 

My comment on getting out your car being a death wish is a reference to the abhorrent pedestrian infrastructure rather than the homeless population. 😉

• 7 mois plus tard...
  • 3 mois plus tard...