Air Transat

jesseps

Knowing Westjet I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to apply these code shares primarily, if not exclusively, on Transat’s European flights from Toronto leaving their operations to Montreal untouched. I hope I’m proven wrong but YUL isn’t close to being a hub in their operations and it would make sense to use them to maximize any gains in passenger flow they may make to and from their hub operations that feeds multiple Westjet flights which would be YYZ in this case. 

Le 2021-11-12 à 14:46, jesseps a dit :

When does Air Transat fly to Nice?

From early may to late september. That's the same for all the other french destinations. except for Paris who's served all year long. 

• Like 1

The pandemic killed travel demand. When TS resumed operations earlier this year, they realised that they would be at a disadvantage without any codeshare partners. They needed another carrier to provide feed for their transatlantic flights, especially now with suppressed demand compared to 2019. WS is such a partner and fits the bill perfectly. 

This is a win for WS as well, for several reasons.

Boeing currently has over 100 undelivered 787s sitting idle at Seattle or elsewhere due to issues with the plane. This means WS can't grow its 787 fleet for next summer. They only have 6 frames in house and most likely wont get more in time for S22. Plus they just got LHR slots and plan on using them. This wasn't part of the initial plan, and with a limited number of widebodies, will mean another route will most likely get reduced service next summer. This is far from ideal.

Also, factor in that transatlantic travel is rebounding faster than the rest, so codesharing with TS's vast European network out of YYZ and YUL is a way for WS to quickly gain market share to European destinations it currently doesn't fly to, with minimal additional cost. It will also enable WS to instantly gain significant TATL market share out of YUL, where it has historically struggled.

This is a smart move for both TS and WS at the moment.

• Like 1

TS très actif en ce moment on dirait.

Maintenant 130+ destinations supplémentaires avec connectair par Air Transat

Vous souhaitez partir vers une destination exotique et lointaine, mais ne trouvez pas de vol Air Transat? Nous avons ce qu'il vous faut! Avec notre tout nouveau service connectair par Air Transat, vous pouvez maintenant combiner les vols d'Air Transat et de nos partenaires aériens afin de voyager vers encore plus de destinations en Europe, en Afrique du Nord, au Moyen-Orient et en Amérique centrale et du Sud, au grand plaisir des voyageurs canadiens et, au Canada, pour les voyageurs européens.

De Montréal à Marrakech? Bien sûr! De Toronto à Berlin? Sans problème! De Québec à Palma de Majorque? De Bogota à Toronto? Nous vous y emmènerons!

https://www.airtransat.com/fr-CA/reserver/connectair-par-air-transat

13 hours ago, Dirt_Devil said:

En espérant que cela amène plus de passagers en correspondance à YUL. 

For me this is the big question. West Jet has expanded dramatically across the country...except in  Montreal...where it seems to have actually lost ground. Part of the reason, I believe, is that there is a huge cultural gap between their Prairie roots and the reality of Quebec. I have always had the impression that WestJet just didn’t have the desire to adjust to our language and cultural reality.

As a result, they are effectively shut out of a huge market. 

So, is this agreement an effort to strengthen their base in Montreal by coming in through the back door via Air Transat? Or, is an effort by Air TransAt to strengthen its position in Toronto?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dirt_Devil said:

En espérant que cela amène plus de passagers en correspondance à YUL. 

I hope this is something that happens but the reality is if it cannibalizes Air Canada’s traffic to these destinations it will probably weaken YUL more than strengthen it. It might provide more choice for Montrealers in their travel but Air Canada can draw form larger USA and international flows to prop up routes that otherwise might not succeed out of Montreal. That’s just my two cents. 

I agree exposteve … this deal will strengthen YYZ not YUL , not many flights to the west.  I used tobe on a WestJet committee a couple of years ago and I was usually stopped when I wanted to mention Quebec s growth with WS.  Quebec is not their interest at all. 

• Thanks 1