Aller au contenu

Place Frontenac - 11, 11, 11, 12 étages

LexD

Messages recommendés

NIMBY is out of fashion, here comes the new trendy buzzword: NONONO.  It is absolutely foolproof.  Unambiguous.  Easy to understand, and for that reason, likely to become very popular among those who fear change  Our saving grace is that most of us want change.  The opponents will have to settle for being unhappy for the rest of their lives.        

42 minutes ago, Né entre les rapides said:

NIMBY is out of fashion, here comes the new trendy buzzword: NONONO.  It is absolutely foolproof.  Unambiguous.  Easy to understand, and for that reason, likely to become very popular among those who fear change  Our saving grace is that most of us want change.  The opponents will have to settle for being unhappy for the rest of their lives.        

I think people also like to have (or feel like they have) a say in the change. This is what some people appreciate about smaller municipalities, it allows for their voices to be heard. I've lived in both Montréal and smaller municipalities and my anectodal evidence is that people are far more involved in the latter than the former. If done properly, I don't have an issue with citizen involvement. I think everyone is at least allowed to have their say (whether by voting or writing or speaking) and then a decision is made and we move on. 

il y a 30 minutes, go_habs_go a dit :

I think people also like to have (or feel like they have) a say in the change. This is what some people appreciate about smaller municipalities, it allows for their voices to be heard. I've lived in both Montréal and smaller municipalities and my anectodal evidence is that people are far more involved in the latter than the former. If done properly, I don't have an issue with citizen involvement. I think everyone is at least allowed to have their say (whether by voting or writing or speaking) and then a decision is made and we move on. 

I accept that.

11 hours ago, Né entre les rapides said:

the new acronym is actually B.A.N.A.N.A. (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything)

And most NIMBY's are totally bananas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Une observation de longue date des NIMBYs anti-densification du GMtl (je n'inclus pas ici la frange dont la motivation première soit la perte d'une vue vers un ensemble d'immeubles plus ou moins défini et/ou un paysage) m'a fait réaliser que le facteur premier semble être la crainte que la congestion continue d'empirer, ce qu'elle fera probablement de toutes façons, en raison de la sédentarisation en cours de notre société "motorisée".

Leur pensée semble avoir pour être axiome une réflexion du genre: "Moi, j'aime pas ça quand il y a trop d'autres conducteurs que moi. Il faut absolument que l'arrondissement / la ville empêche qu'on en ait plus!'

[AJOUTÉ: ]

Un fait intéressant est que l'on retrouve très peu d'usagers des TeC (surtout ceux du métro ou des circuits de bus empruntant des VR) ou de la mobilité active parmi de tels opposants, puisqu'ils sont moins souvent et moins longtemps pris dans des bouchons.

En conclusion:

1.) l'auto-solo, et dans une moins mesure le covoiturage, sont des cercles vicieux par rapport à la congestion;

2.) les TeC, et dans une moindre mesure la mobilité active (avec sa part modale moins élevée), sont des cercles vertueux permettant de dégager un potentiel de fluidité;

3.) la densfication de pôles TOD ne peut qu'aider à renverser la présente tendance lourde aux embouteillages.

YIMBY! 😎

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FrancSoisD said:

Une observation de longue date des NIMBYs anti-densification du GMtl (je n'inclus pas ici la frange dont la motivation première soit la perte d'une vue vers un ensemble d'immeubles plus ou moins défini et/ou un paysage) m'a fait réaliser que le facteur premier semble être la crainte que la congestion continue d'empirer, ce qu'elle fera probablement de toutes façons, en raison de la sédentarisation en cours de notre société "motorisée".

Leur pensée semble avoir pour être axiome une réflexion du genre: "Moi, j'aime pas ça quand il y a trop d'autres conducteurs que moi. Il faut absolument que l'arrondissement / la ville empêche qu'on en ait plus!'

For sure a lot of the hand-wringing is around additional cars/congestion but there are also legitimate concerns around the community infrastructure - parks, schools, libraries, pools, activities for kids/families/seniors, etc. The problem with a lot of developments is that the impact on those infrastructures is rarely taken into consideration and by the time it is, improvements take years to implement. You don't add a new school or pool or park in a year but developers sure can add thousands of units in that time frame.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, go_habs_go said:

For sure a lot of the hand-wringing is around additional cars/congestion but there are also legitimate concerns around the community infrastructure - parks, schools, libraries, pools, activities for kids/families/seniors, etc. The problem with a lot of developments is that the impact on those infrastructures is rarely taken into consideration and by the time it is, improvements take years to implement. You don't add a new school or pool or park in a year but developers sure can add thousands of units in that time frame.   

I totally agree with you. Mind you, thousands of units are also not usually built locally each year non-stop, unless we're talking about DT, GT, and within 5 years the 3 major projects E of DT.

(BTW, i've expanded my above comment, which you've quoted.)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FrancSoisD said:

I totally agree with you. Mind you, thousands of units are also not usually built locally each year non-stop, unless we're talking about DT, GT, and within 5 years the 3 major projects E of DT.

(BTW, i've expanded my above comment, which you've quoted.)

I may have gone overboard with the thousands of units. 😆