Aller au contenu

Skyline de Toronto!

Messages recommendés

Bridge at Parade.jpg

The Skybridge at Parade in Concord CityPlace went up this week. A friend who lives in another CityPlace building sent me this photo.

Concord's Skybridge at Parade Raised Overnight

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/06/concord-s-skybridge-parade-raised-overnight

Until we get the time-lapse photography it will be difficult to claim the the Skybridge ever moved exactly – the lift was so slow, it was next to impossible to detect in real time – but over the course of thirteen hours on Monday night and Tuesday morning, the 320 tonne Walters Inc.-built bridge was raised to where it now links the two tallest towers at Concord Adex's Parade condominium complex on Fort York Boulevard in Toronto.

A two-storey span, the lower level will become a party room/lounge facility for residents in the Kohn Pedeseron Fox and Page + Steele/IBI Group-designed Parade. The amenity space will have some glass floor portions, the windows in the underside can be seen in a number of the photos.

The upper level will be split between two suites, a 4,200 square foot suite accessed from the west tower, and a 3,600 square foot suite accessed from the east tower. Each suite will have rooms on three floors where the Skybridge joins the towers.

I took photos over the first half of the night, while UrbanToronto Forum members RC8 (aka Front65), and hawc, as well as Brendan Sack got the terrific shots that start at dawn this morning. Photos by Jack Landau (UT Forum member someMidTowner) pick up the story again at 4 PM Tuesday afternoon, once the bridge was in its final resting spot. We will add some more shots as Forum members upload them.

Having visited TO many times, there has always been one thing that makes the city "dirty" looking. The over-head wires for the street cars and utilities have got to go. It is a real eyesore. Also, the street lamps are fugly

Having visited TO many times, there has always been one thing that makes the city "dirty" looking. The over-head wires for the street cars and utilities have got to go. It is a real eyesore. Also, the street lamps are fugly

Getting rid of overhead wires isn't as easy as said. You would have to use a ground level power supply system to feed the cars. Not only it's expensive, but it would take years or even decades to replace. I agree that it's not very attractive but it is much easier to repair and maintain. Hopefully if Montreal soon adopts streetcars, it won't go for those overhead wires as it would definitely tarnish the look of many beautiful neighborhoods.

Is it something that the city incorporates each time they redo or repave a street? How does the city go about reconstructing a street? We have done it many times here in Montreal. St Laurent and Park ave were recently rebuilt (water main, gas, pavement, side walk..etc.) How does TO do that with rails and overheard wires everywhere?

Did they give up on building pavement electrified street cars entirely?

Why not take the opportunity to do so while a street is being rebuilt?

With the new subway line extension being built and new streetcars on the way, there's definitely nothing that is going to change on this case in the next decade or so. I know it has been done before but it is a very tedious process that I am sure the city doesn't want to jump in. I think the wiser option would be to leave the existent overhead wires and consider ground power lines in the future extensions of the streetcar system.

• 3 semaines plus tard...