Aller au contenu

I’ve Seen a Future Without Cars, and It’s Amazing

Messages recommendés

The thing about NYC, it is so dense and there are many bus routes and metro stations.

Here in Montreal, if you are in the city you are fine, but when you get to some other areas, you really need a car. Our metro system is centralized, it is meant for people to go into the city, the only way to bypass the city, is the blue line, even that is a pain.

Montreal has a long way to go, before we can have a system that rivals NYC, Paris and other cities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Le 2020-07-11 à 21:13, jesseps a dit :

The thing about NYC, it is so dense and there are many bus routes and metro stations.

Here in Montreal, if you are in the city you are fine, but when you get to some other areas, you really need a car. Our metro system is centralized, it is meant for people to go into the city, the only way to bypass the city, is the blue line, even that is a pain.

Montreal has a long way to go, before we can have a system that rivals NYC, Paris and other cities.

There is definitely a difference between Montreal and Manhattan. However, what is interesting to me in this article is the way roads are shared. I don't think cars should be banned anywhere in Montreal, but there is something to be done about how we share roads. 

Take René-Lévesque for example. Are we really using that street to its full potential? Do we really need parking lanes on René-Lévesque, when there are tons of underground parking lots downtown? There's a lane that is clearly larger than normal, is there a way that we can use that space and have a boulevard that has protected bike lanes, reserved lanes for buses and one lane for cars? 

I don't think Montreal should ban cars or do half the things that are mentioned in the NYT article, but I feel like this is a very inspiring piece that makes us think about how to design public ways.

il y a une heure, ERJ-Boy a dit :

Take René-Lévesque for example. Are we really using that street to its full potential? Do we really need parking lanes on René-Lévesque, when there are tons of underground parking lots downtown? There's a lane that is clearly larger than normal, is there a way that we can use that space and have a boulevard that has protected bike lanes, reserved lanes for buses and one lane for cars? 

Or maybe some space for an lrt 🤔

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ERJ-Boy said:

There is definitely a difference between Montreal and Manhattan. However, what is interesting to me in this article is the way roads are shared. I don't think cars should be banned anywhere in Montreal, but there is something to be done about how we share roads. 

I don't think Montreal should ban cars or do half the things that are mentioned in the NYT article, but I feel like this is a very inspiring piece that makes us think about how to design public ways.

The hours for the bus lanes on René-Lévesque will be extended so there you go! I also always found the parking on René-Lévesque to be ludicrous.