Transport aérien : Continental annonce la suppression prochaine de 3000 emplois en ra

mtlurb

• Administrator

Le 4e plus gros transporteur aérien américain, Continental Airlines, va prochainement supprimer des milliers d'emplois en raison des prix records du carburant. American et United ont pris des mesures similaires ces dernières semaines.

Pour en lire plus...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ouaouaron
      Voir document:
      http://www.fdimagazine.com/cp/13/Cities%20of%20the%20Future%20%20April%2023rd%20press%20release.doc

Voici les tableaux comprenant des villes du Québec:

NORTH AMERICAN CITIES OF THE FUTURE

Top ten major cities of the future

1 Chicago Illinois United States
      2 Toronto Ontario Canada
      3 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania United States
      4 Atlanta Georgia United States
      5 Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico
      6 Baltimore Maryland United States
      7 Montreal Quebec Canada
      8 Mexico City Federal District Mexico
      9 Boston Massachusetts United States
      10 Miami Florida United States

Major cities - best economic potential

1 Chicago Illinois United States
      2 Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico
      3 Atlanta Georgia United States
      4 Mexico City Federal District Mexico
      5 Montreal Quebec Canada

Major cities - quality of life

1 Toronto Ontario Canada
      2 New York New York State United States
      3 Chicago Illinois United States
      4 Boston Massachusetts United States
      5 Montreal Quebec Canada

Large cities - quality of life

1 Quebec Quebec Canada
      2 Charlotte North Carolina United States
      3 Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States
      4 Orlando Florida United States
      5 Richmond Virginia United States

Small cities - best development and investment promotion

1 Huntsville Alabama United States
      2 Windsor Ontario Canada
      3 Durango Durango Mexico
      4 Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
      5= St. Johns New Foundland and Labrador Canada
      5= Waterloo Ontario Canada

Small cities - best infrastructure

1 Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
      2 Gatineau Quebec Canada
      3 Huntsville Alabama United States
      4 Waterloo Ontario Canada
      5= Matamoros Tamaulipas Mexico
      5= Windsor Ontario Canada
    • By mtlurb
      Montreal musicians dominate Polaris shortlist

Jul 11, 2007 07:44 PM

Ben Rayner
      Pop Music Critic

The votes are in and, apparently, Toronto is no longer quite the centre of the Canadian musical universe.

Only expat-Torontonian Leslie Feist - who actually hails originally from Calgary - muscled her way onto the shortlist for the second annual Polaris Music Prize, unveiled yesterday afternoon during a reception on the Drake Hotel's rooftop patio attended by such homegrown rockers as Joel Plaskett and Olga Goreas of the Besnard Lakes.

The tres au courant indie scene in Montreal, represented by five acts including rising stars Arcade Fire and Patrick Watson, dominated the final voting. More than 170 music writers and broadcasters from across the country who were polled last month on their favourite Canadian albums released between June 1, 2006 and May 31, 2007. The rest came from points as varied as Hamilton, Halifax, Calgary and Sackville, N.B.

"It was an arduous process," said Polaris founder Steve Jordan. "We saw some records move up and down in the balloting as time went on, and I think people really gave serious consideration to their choices. It's going to be a real challenge to pick a winner ... All of these records are 'epics' in some way."
      The Polaris shortlist, in alphabetical order, is as follows:

Arcade Fire, Neon Bible.
      The Besnard Lakes, Are the Dark Horse.
      The Dears, Gang of Losers.
      Julie Doiron, Woke Myself Up.
      Feist, The Reminder.
      Junior Boys, So This is Goodbye.
      Miracle Fortress, Five Roses.
      Joel Plaskett Emergency, Ashtray Rock.
      Chad VanGaalen, Skelliconnection.
      Patrick Watson, Close to Paradise.

The winner will be determined after a day of hard-fought argument between a small group of final jurors on Sept. 24 and announced that same night during a gala concert. The prize - taken last year by Toronto's Final Fantasy for his album He Poos Clouds - is $20,000 cash.

A Polaris compilation album featuring tracks by each of the nominees will also be released on Aug. 28.
    • By WestAust
      Jacques Villeneuve en coupe Nextel dès 2008

Le pilote québécois Jacques Villeneuve ferait son entrée en coupe Nextel de la série NASCAR dès 2008. C’est du moins ce que rapporte Le Journal de Montréal dans son édition de samedi.

Villeneuve doit faire des essais dans un camion de l'écurie Bill Davis Racing de la série Craftsman, lundi et mardi. Mais Davis aurait déjà annoncé au paddock que Villeneuve conduirait l'une de ses Toyota Camry en série Nextel en 2008.

Davis aurait même annoncé que Jacques Villeneuve disputerait les sept dernières courses au calendrier de la série Craftsman, en plus de disputer les deux dernières courses de la saison en coupe Nextel.
    • By begratto
      Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Feast on Montreal's wonderful charm

Erica Johnston / Washington Post

I've been captivated by Montreal since my first trip there almost 20 years ago, drawn in by two things in particular: the bowls of hot chocolate offered at the city's many cafes -- hey, why settle for a measly cup? -- and the people who packed the streets in July and August, soaking in the two-month party they call summer. It seemed as busy as midtown Manhattan at rush hour, but these people were smiling.

So when my oldest and best friend and I realized that our 40th "anniversary" was approaching, I managed to talk her into a celebratory trip over a long weekend. To Montreal, of course.

When I arrived on a summer-like fall afternoon, a day before Kathy, I hit the streets. It had been eight years since my last visit. Had I exaggerated the city's charms?

From our hotel downtown, I walked a mile or so, past the edge of Chinatown and through the Latin Quarter to the Plateau, the neighborhood where my affection for the city first took root.

Along the leafy side streets, spiral staircases wind their way up the outsides of cozy rowhouses. Somehow, it seemed that if I knocked on a few doors, I'd find someone I knew. A few blocks away, Mount Royal, the modest mountain and majestic park on the neighborhood's western flank, rises over the city, offering a constant compass and an instant refuge to anyone who needs one.

In a bakery, a boy of about 4 offered me his friendliest "Allo!" I did my best to respond in kind: "Allo."

"Oh," he responded. His smile never broke. "Hello!"

And that seems to sum up the language issue -- for tourists, anyway. It's far more complicated for residents -- in the place generally acknowledged to be the world's second-biggest French-speaking city. French? English? Whatever. We can work with you.

Nearly everyone who crossed our path was unrelentingly friendly. Even the illuminated "man" in the crossing signals has a spring in his step; check it out. Along Rue St. Denis, a beautifully dressed woman stepped out of an elegant bakery with an elaborately wrapped sandwich and handed it with a smile to a homeless stranger. By the time a Metro toll taker wished us a good life -- and seemed to mean it -- we weren't especially impressed.

We walked along the lovely Rue Laurier from east to west, from a low-key weekend street market to the decidedly upmarket blocks of fancy shops west of Rue St. Laurent. That street, also called "The Main," has historically served as the unofficial line separating the city's French culture from its English-speaking stronghold.

Today's Montreal is often a wonderful jumble, with strong strands of distinct cultures living amongst one another. It's been called a salad bowl -- the concept of Canadian diversity as separate components complementing each other, as compared with the American ideal of the melting pot.

In few places is this more true than in Mile End, a historically Jewish enclave that was one of my favorite discoveries of the trip.

Mile End, the boyhood home of the late novelist Mordechai Richler (along with his famous protagonist, Duddy Kravitz), is gentrifying rapidly. But though the challenge of change in the neighborhood just north of the swanky part of Rue Laurier riles some, others revel in it.

To the outsider, the place offers a kaleidoscopic array: The Asian teenager with an Orthodox Jew's side locks ambles along Rue St. Viateur. At a street corner, black-clad Goth girls check out South American pan flutists. Butcher shops of seemingly every Eastern European persuasion line the streets.

Here's where you get your Montreal bagels, smaller, denser and sweeter than their American counterparts. Their supporters insist that these rounds, boiled in honeyed water before baking, are the real deal; the recipe allegedly was brought over by Romanian Jews in the early 1900s.

From there, we continued on a mile or so north, to the Little Italy neighborhood and -- more to the point -- the Jean-Talon Market, a huge, year-round public market for regionally grown meats, cheeses, fruits and vegetables. Such spots often serve as my museums, telling me more about a place than most collections of art or artifacts ever could.

It was a Saturday, and the joint was jammed with more than 100 stalls and thousands of Montrealers, all pondering the same age-old question: What's for dinner?

On Sunday night, as our time wound down, we followed our trip to its logical conclusion: dinner at Au Pied de Cochon, a boisterous bistro that offers an unabashed homage to all creatures fat and fowl, a cuisine that is profoundly, jubilantly Quebecois. Chef Martin Picard, a darling of the back-to-the-land school of cooking, looks like a lumberjack, and kind of cooks like one, too. On the menu: "The Big Happy Pig's Chop," "the Pig's Foot" and steak that tends to be venison, when it's in season. If forced to choose, I'd say our favorite meal was at La Montee de Lait, a smallish refuge tucked into a quiet corner of the Plateau that offers a fixed-price parade of exquisite small plates.

And then, sadly, the time came to put down our forks and back away slowly. The air had turned seasonably chilly, and we marveled at the Montrealers sitting at sidewalk cafes. For us, it was freezing, and unthinkable. But they were enjoying it while they could, knowing that everything -- even the temperature -- is relative. And the bowls of hot chocolate couldn't have hurt, either.
    • By mtlurb
      Controverse au Québec sur de futurs ports méthaniers

LE MONDE | 01.10.07 | 15h14 • Mis à jour le 01.10.07 | 15h14
      MONTRÉAL (CANADA) CORRESPONDANCE
      es opposants à trois projets de ports méthaniers au Québec réclament un moratoire sur leur développement, en attendant une révision de la stratégie énergétique de la province. Alors qu'il faut réduire les gaz à effet de serre et "s'affranchir de notre dépendance aux énergies fossiles", ces projets auraient pour effet de la prolonger, estime Daniel Breton, porte-parole du groupe Québec-Kyoto.

Deux des trois projets sont bien avancés. Le terminal d'Energie Cacouna, au bord du fleuve Saint-Laurent (200 km en aval de Québec), avec TransCanada Pipelines et Petro-Canada pour promoteurs, a déjà l'accord du gouvernement provincial. Il pourra accueillir, dès 2012, des méthaniers transportant au moins 145 000 m3 de gaz naturel liquéfié (GNL) en provenance de Russie et du Moyen-Orient. Ce GNL sera ensuite gazéifié pour alimenter le marché nord-américain via des gazoducs.

Le sort du deuxième terminal est en train de se jouer, avec décision du gouvernement attendue pour les tout prochains jours. Le projet Rabaska vise à construire un terminal méthanier à Lévis - 10 km en aval de Québec - avec Gaz Métro, Gaz de France et Enbridge pour promoteurs. Il compte alimenter dès 2010 les marchés québécois et ontarien. Depuis des mois, promoteurs et opposants s'affrontent sur ce projet qui a néanmoins obtenu cet été le feu vert du Bureau d'audiences publiques en environnement du Québec.

Les groupes environnementaux et une partie de la population maintiennent la pression sur Québec, estimant que le projet est trop risqué pour l'environnement et non justifié économiquement. Ils critiquent surtout l'implantation d'une installation à hauts risques dans une zone patrimoniale, non loin d'une ville du patrimoine mondial de l'Unesco, et face à l'île d'Orléans, berceau de la Nouvelle-France. "C'est comme si vous le mettiez devant le Mont Saint-Michel", clame Gaston Cadrin, président du Groupe d'initiatives et de recherches appliquées au milieu. Sans compter, ajoute-t-il, que le fleuve est une voie difficile pour la navigation etqu' "en cas d'échouage, de collision ou de sabotage, le méthanier deviendrait une bombe".

Le projet est "beaucoup trop risqué pour la population et les écosystèmes", résume l'ancien ministre québécois de l'environnement Thomas Mulcair, devenu député néo-démocrate à Ottawa. Pour la sécurité des personnes, l'emplacement du port et des réservoirs de GNL pose aussi un problème, avec la proximité d'une soixantaine d'habitations et d'une école.
      Mathieu Castonguay, directeur général de l'Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique, rappelle que Rabaska générera, selon les chiffres officiels, 12,8 millions de tonnes de gaz à effet de serre durant le cycle de vie du gaz, soit l'équivalent des émissions de 3,5 millions d'automobiles. Ces émissions seront aussi à la hausse car, en Alberta, la production de pétrole à partir des sables bitumineux, une industrie gourmande en énergie, augmentera grâce à une disponibilité accrue de gaz.

Les promoteurs de Rabaska arguent que le terminal permettra au Québec de diversifier ses sources d'approvisionnement, alors que ses opposants jugent qu'il n'en tirera que plus d'insécurité. M. Breton souligne que la région passera d'une source d'approvisionnement fiable (l'Ouest canadien) à des sources qui le sont moins à ses yeux, comme la Russie, l'Algérie ou le Qatar.

Claude Martel, directeur du Sierra Club-Québec, qualifie ces projets de "marché de dupes" pour le Québec : les voisins américains auront du gaz mais pas l'inconvénient des ports méthaniers. "Tout ce qu'on va faire, note-t-il, c'est ouvrir une valve entre pays producteurs et clients, en nous laissant gérer les risques."

Anne Pélouas

Article paru dans l'édition du 02.10.07.
adblock_message_value
adblock_accept_btn_value