Westjet rachetée par Onex

ERJ-Boy

https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/entreprises/201905/13/01-5225827-westjet-rachete-par-onex-pour-5-milliards.php

Le fonds d'investissement Onex a conclu une entente pour l'achat du transporteur aérien WestJet, une transaction évaluée à 5 milliards, dette comprise.

En vertu de cet accord, Onex paiera 31 $ par action pour WestJet, qui continuera ses activités à titre de société privée.

Les actions de WestJet ont clôturé à 18,52 $ vendredi.

Peu de détails à ce point-ci. Onex est une société d'investissement privé basée à Toronto. Ils sont connus pour avoir fait une offre ratée en 1999 pour l'achat d'Air Canada. Ils voulaient les fusionner avec Canadian (ce qui arrivera 2 ans plus tard). 

• Like 1

This is big news. Lots of speculation on what this will lead to. Will Swoop disappear? Will Westjet pull back on European expansion. Will they be more open  towards buying Airbus planes? How will Onex reshape this airline. I’m curious if they aren’t also one of the investors looking into buying Air Transat.. perhaps they will merge them with Westjet to make a more formidable challenger to Air Canada. Exciting times!

Edited by caribb

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, mont royal said:

The new owners have indicted that they want to strengthen Westjet’s presence in the east; specifically, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

I'll take that with a grain of salt.

They can't even keep a year round flight between YUL-YVR.

I’ll believe it when I see it, but it’s almost a certainty that a major culture change will be happening at westjet in the coming years, new owners will expect a higher return on their investment, the fact that westjet is now deploying a real business class is a change in their model that was originaly based on southwest (single type of plane, single class, no long haul flights)