Aller au contenu

Montréal fera plus de place aux minorités dans ses C.A.

MtlMan

Messages recommendés

4 minutes ago, Ousb said:

Why go from one extreme to another? I never said that I thought that and that's not what the city put forward either.

Saying that sounds like you're in favor of the status quo. We can not just rely on the goodwill of recruiters, so far we see that it does not work. There are studies showing that your very name can greatly reduce your chances of getting an interview.

If you had proposed to set up anonymous CVs I would have taken this as a real alternative. But it seems like you prefer the current situation to what the city wants to put in place.

You’re strawmanning the idea.

Not at all, I used that example because we're seeing that on university campuses now! for example, my cousin got denied a job because he wasn't a minority and he was told that straight to his face. Or for me in Miami, I was not hired for not being Hispanic, even though I'm trilingual and have qualifications. Do I like the status quo? hell no, because everyone who is not French by birth gets discriminated here, and there are studies to prove that. This plan is supposed to give "equal weight" to minorities but in the end, they'll want more control and representation (just like in the states). Anonymous CV's are also a great idea, but bias can also play a role during the interview process. Like I said, as someone who's seen stuff like this first hand in government roles in the states, it never worked. All it does is cause more issues and no proper solution, this is only done to show how "progressive" a city is. 

Clearly, they don’t hire now on the basis of qualifications! They hire on the basis of whether person X,Y, or Z is white and francophone. Quotas are not the best answer: what is needed is the explicit recognition that the current practice is biased and employers do not make the required effort to find those with the best qualifications. 

11 minutes ago, mont royal said:

Clearly, they don’t hire now on the basis of qualifications! They hire on the basis of whether person X,Y, or Z is white and francophone. Quotas are not the best answer: what is needed is the explicit recognition that the current practice is biased and employers do not make the required effort to find those with the best qualifications. 

La meilleure chose est un bassin de candidats qualifiés; comme ça tu dois finir la liste de candidats au complet, qui a plus de chance d'avoir des minorités visibles tout en assurant la compétence. Hydro-Québec embauche un candidat à la fois et est 99% blanc et STM selon des bassins qualifiés et 65% blanc. * Article de La Presse si je me souviens bien. Donc tout est dans l'approche sans diminuer les compétences.

J'ai beaucoup de difficulté à prendre diversité = force. Different but equal est autant de disrimination... on est soit égaux ou différents, pas les deux...