Aller au contenu

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

40 minutes ago, greg16 said:

I think it's worth taking a moment to remember the reasons why Vancouver's future SkyTrain extension, in a neighborhood outside of downtown , will be underground:

“This is a unique area that competes in a global market for employers as well as the best and brightest talent. Broadway lies at the heart of this job center and has the potential to become a street that effectively balances transportation needs while maintaining an urban realm that attracts businesses to the area. Negatively impacting the Broadway streetscape could make Metro Vancouver less attractive to the talent pool, and employers may choose to set up in other regions such as Seattle, San Diego, Toronto, or London.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/millennium-line-broadway-extension-elevated-skytrain

Wouldn't we be doing a little too much aplaventrism?
Shouldn't we instead do as in Vancouver and demand that things be done well?
Why are we always so afraid of doing things the right way?

Also another reason the public transit agency Translink doesn't like to admit: because that part of Broadway sees some of the highest single family property values in Vancouver, with an average house priced at $ 3.48 million in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver West along Broadway along with some of the loudest (and most well funded) neighborhood associations. Like Canada Line on Cambie , Skytrain became a subway in Vancouver because of very loud NIMBYism by some of the richest residents in the country (in order to preserve a 6-lane auto corridor surrounded by million dollar suburban mansions). Very few people who live in $4 million dollar homes in Vancouver need to take the Skytrain (or any transit for that matter). On the other hand, Translink had no trouble building elevated Skytrain through Vancouver East / Chinatown in the 80s, which unsurprisingly also happened to be an ethnic low-income neighborhood back then. 

I'm not opposed to tunneling under RL at all, but just wanted to point out that Vancouver made their decisions due to a variety of factors, with very strong pressure from rich NIMBY's in a few key Skytrain corridors that should otherwise have been elevated. 

Modifié par FrodoMTL
  • Thanks 1

These are really a joke. What’s the term they use so much these days? Gaslighting?

At the proposed locations of the two REM stations, these will both be 500m+ serpentine hustles outside of fare-controlled areas — and very likely at least partially outdoors. 

5E913E20-409E-46D5-8832-BFFA5077ED0A.jpeg

19 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

These are really a joke. What’s the term they use so much these days? Gaslighting?

At the proposed locations of the two REM stations, these will both be 500m+ serpentine hustles outside of fare-controlled areas — and very likely at least partially outdoors. 

London has something called out of station transfers. Assuming that the line is built on René-Lévesque as planned, I think that a similar scheme should be implemented. London has a number of stations where you can transfer, but in order to do so, you need to exit one station and walk to the other station. The idea is that for the purpose of payment, this out of station transfer is counted as a single journey.

8 minutes ago, Enalung said:

London has something called out of station transfers. Assuming that the line is built on René-Lévesque as planned, I think that a similar scheme should be implemented. London has a number of stations where you can transfer, but in order to do so, you need to exit one station and walk to the other station. The idea is that for the purpose of payment, this out of station transfer is counted as a single journey.

I’m thinking of logistics. A 500m walk in Montreal is a hike. It’s not a “transfer.” Rapid transit is supposed to make urban travel more efficient, not more hassle. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SameGuy said:

I’m thinking of logistics. A 500m walk in Montreal is a hike. It’s not a “transfer.” Rapid transit is supposed to make urban travel more efficient, not more hassle. 

There is no such thing as perfection. Just about all transit networks have odds and ends that are weird and are clearly there because of historical reasons or monetary considerations. Valerie Plante has asked for an underground alternative to be examined. Assumed that is the route that they choose to go, it might be possible to move the last station. It's going to be deep either way, so past Complexe Desjardins, they could choose to go under buildings and put the last station on de la Gauchetière instead right in between Gare Centrale and Place Bonaventure. Of course, they would have to deal with all of the existing pedestrian tunnels in that area. As has been said many times, it really depends on how much money they are willing to throw at the problem.

• Like 1

Oy. We should be striving for perfection at the outset. Compromises are only reached when there are no good alternatives. Cutting corners — like the lack of a direct connection from REM Centrale’s platforms, or at least from the hall, to STM Metro Bonaventure — is not because there are no decent alternatives. It’s just being cheap. Same as the new Vendôme intermodal station and MUHC interface. It could have been SO. MUCH. BETTER. But they ignored recommendations from the consultative process and went ahead with their cheaper design. I’m not arguing that compromises shouldn’t exist, but poor design is poor design, poor planning is poor planning. 

• Thanks 1

il y a une heure, SameGuy a dit :

I think it's not 500m

I walked inside often from Place des Arts to Place d'armes and it is about 500m.

René Levesque to the Orange and Green line is   less than that.

il y a 26 minutes, crosbyshow a dit :

I think it's not 500m

I walked inside often from Place des Arts to Place d'armes and it is about 500m.

René Levesque to the Orange and Green line is   less than that.

As tu la distance pour la station vis à vis Berri et l'autre station. Je suis curieux. Merci.