Aller au contenu

YUL Busy

Messages recommendés

On my return today on AC 416, our flight was delayed due to a rear door not functioning properly.  About 45  min later, we were taxing to the runway, however, we had to stop on the taxiway,along with a few other flights headed to YUL, due to YUL being "to busy", and a request from YUL control tower to the pilots  further to delay our departure till 4:40pm.  This happened to me a few times on my way to LGA.....but YUL?  Was very surprised.  Was this runway related, gate related?  I was under the impression YUL was able to accommodate peak hour rush with the present established facilities.  Or is it not?

il y a 55 minutes, Dallas72 a dit :

On my return today on AC 416, our flight was delayed due to a rear door not functioning properly.  About 45  min later, we were taxing to the runway, however, we had to stop on the taxiway,along with a few other flights headed to YUL, due to YUL being "to busy", and a request from YUL control tower to the pilots  further to delay our departure till 4:40pm.  This happened to me a few times on my way to LGA.....but YUL?  Was very surprised.  Was this runway related, gate related?  I was under the impression YUL was able to accommodate peak hour rush with the present established facilities.  Or is it not?

The same happened to me back in September. Happened to my dad many times too. I guess YUL is just becoming a very busy airport.

Wasn’t it mentioned during the announcement of the airport terminal expansion that this summer several overseas flights this summer would have to be regularly remotely parked due to lack of gates? Air Canada is pushing growth here and the airport is trying to cope, so yes it is getting much busier. The whole $2 billion terminal/concourse expansion plan is a direct result of this. 

Taxiway B2 is closed until May 14, (E, B1 and B3 have been closed for over a month now) meaning everyone landing on runway 24R must exit at G taxiway, (10,200 ft down the runway). This means arrivals spend more time than usual on the runway, so a 3 nautical mile spacing between arrivals is impossible. Spacing is increased to 4 nm during daytime (still tight), 5 nm at night (due to difficulty of flight crews to spot G taxiway at night, and again, still tight), thus meaning the AAR (airport arrival rate) needs to be reduced, from 34-36, down to 28-32 an hour. So during peak times, GDP are put in place, and delays ensue, especially if you miss your flow time, like what happened in this case.

Like i said, even a rate of 28 or 32 is tight, and overshoots are possible.

YUL is the new LGA....Our AAR is crap, even on good days when all taxiways are open. Hence the need to realign some taxiways (and build new ones) to reduce runway occupancy time, and increase the AAR.

The AAR at YYC, YVR, which are airports with a similar layout to YUL, is consistently in the 40-44 range. YUL can barely do 38. It averages anywhere from 34-36 on most days.

taxiways, taxiways, taxiways........They're either in the wrong spot, or they're closed. Either way, it's no good.

https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx

Modifié par thenoflyzone
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, thenoflyzone said:

Taxiway B2 is closed until May 14, (E, B1 and B3 have been closed for over a month now) meaning everyone landing on runway 24R must exit at G taxiway, (10,200 ft down the runway). This means arrivals spend more time than usual on the runway, so a 3 nautical mile spacing between arrivals is impossible. Spacing is increased to 4 nm during daytime (still tight), 5 nm at night (due to difficulty of flight crews to spot G taxiway at night, and again, still tight), thus meaning the AAR (airport arrival rate) needs to be reduced, from 34-36, down to 28-32 an hour. So during peak times, GDP are put in place, and delays ensue, especially if you miss your flow time, like what happened in this case.

Like i said, even a rate of 28 or 32 is tight, and overshoots are possible.

YUL is the new LGA....Our AAR is crap, even on good days when all taxiways are open. Hence the need to realign some taxiways (and build new ones) to reduce runway occupancy time, and increase the AAR.

The AAR at YYC, YVR, which are airports with a similar layout to YUL, is consistently in the 40-44 range. YUL can barely do 38. It averages anywhere from 34-36 on most days.

taxiways, taxiways, taxiways........They're either in the wrong spot, or they're closed. Either way, it's no good.

https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx

Appreciate the detailed explanation.  Our plane departed the gate, but then returned when it was clear we need maintenance to resolve the rear door issue.  So yes, we missed our spot, hence the reason we were then in GDP mode.  Upon arrival, gates were very full.  Originally we were to park at gate 1, but we ended up at gate 50.  I normally take YYZ return flights at 5pm or after, wanted an earlier flight this time around, but due to the circumstances, ended up home at the usual time.  AC crew and staff, professional as always.