YMQ

Level YUL-Orly,Paris 3 times a week eff Summer 2018

4 minutes ago, Alexcaban said:

Always good to have competition on a route and at the moment Corsair was the only carrier operating Orly. 

How long until we see Rouge or Westjet with their 789 jump in?

But in reality we need carriers like LOT serving Warsaw or Iberia to Madrid.

Or SAS to CPH. Scandinavia still represents a giant hole in YUL's European route network.

C'Est toujours ca de pris ,mais c est vrai que le marché YUL-Paris est bien plus que desservie.

Les deux villes europeenes qu il faut viser sont Madrid et Milan. Les autres comme Copenhague ou Varsovie ce sera difficile les quebecois ne voyagent pas à ces places.

2 hours ago, couz said:

Westjet???  maybe with the Q400neo  

Lol!! Extended range

9 hours ago, mark_ac said:

Some may rejoice, but LEVEL will announce 3 times weekly A330-200 YUL-ORY.

Beware Montreal becoming a low cost trans-atlantic city with little premium traffic...

This is kinda of an overall trend though. WOW, Norwegian, Level and Eurowings hitting all sorts of Western Hemisphere cities now. There is rumour of Jetblue eventually going trans Atlantic. If Ryanair, Easyjet or Southwest break their traditional models and start flying across the pond I’d think premium traffic will become even more marginal. YUL has never been a huge magnet for premium travelers so if airlines go after volume traffic  over  higher yielding passengers them I think it’s where we will be headed along with several other cities. 

7 hours ago, ERJ-Boy said:

You're bad faith... Montréal-Paris is one of the busiest trans-atlantic segment. There is competition. You're just sad because it's an un-rougeable route... Yet you'd be ecstatic if Rouge started to serve ORY. 

Excuse me. I'm in bad faith because why exactly?

Air Canada Rouge could easily fly Montreal-Orly if this was such a lucrative market. Ridiculous commentary.

42 minutes ago, caribb said:

Lol!! Extended range

This is kinda of an overall trend though. WOW, Norwegian, Level and Eurowings hitting all sorts of Western Hemisphere cities now. There is rumour of Jetblue eventually going trans Atlantic. If Ryanair, Easyjet or Southwest break their traditional models and start flying across the pond I’d think premium traffic will become even more marginal. YUL has never been a huge magnet for premium travelers so if airlines go after volume traffic  over  higher yielding passengers them I think it’s where we will be headed along with several other cities. 

I don' t see how low cost travel is some kind of infectious  disease that in and of itself will discourage premium flights. In this specific case the other cities include Boston and New York. Does this mean those 2 cities are also doomed?

I agree that for sustained growth at YUL , low-cost flights to Orly are not the top priority. But nor do they reflect some kind of looming problem. It is actually good news for consumers. There will be transatlantic flights for $149 one-way. All this is exciting for a lot of potential flyers.

Will it eat into the other airlines currently flying  to Paris? Maybe. That' s what competition is all about...finding a niche that hasn' t been exploited and moving in.

So while not earth-shaking news this is still good news for Montreal. . 

Edited by mont royal
mispell

7 minutes ago, mont royal said:

I don' t see how low cost travel is some kind of infectious  disease that in and of itself will discourage premium flights. In this specific case the other cities include Boston and New York. Does this mean those 2 cities are also doomed?

I agree that for sustained growth at YUL , low-cost flights to Orly are not the top priority. But nor do they reflect some kind of looming problem. It is actually good news for consumers. There will be transatlantic flights for $149 one-way. All this is exciting for a lot of potential flyers.

Will it eat into the other airlines currently flying  to Paris? Maybe. That' s what competition is all about...finding a niche that hasn' t been exploited and moving in.

So while not earth-shaking news this is still good news for Montreal. . 

What you;re missing here is the impact LCC's will have on premium carriers like Swiss/British/Lufthansa that are already handicapped by the fact that Montreal is a poor premium market.

If you're sitting in Boston or New York - Level/Norwegian/WOW no big deal. When you're in Montreal where it's more a load factor game than a yield game, it's a big deal.

I would prefer being served by major premium global carrier than LCC's. Hiding behind the consumer rationale is a bit short sighted.

il y a 4 minutes, mark_ac a dit :

What you;re missing here is the impact LCC's will have on premium carriers like Swiss/British/Lufthansa that are already handicapped by the fact that Montreal is a poor premium market.

If you're sitting in Boston or New York - Level/Norwegian/WOW no big deal. When you're in Montreal where it's more a load factor game than a yield game, it's a big deal.

I would prefer being served by major premium global carrier than LCC's. Hiding behind the consumer rationale is a bit short sighted.

Mais les nouveaux vols à rabais ne vont-ils pas créer une nouvelle demande?  Comme les vols de Wow, Icelandair et Air Canada l'ont fait pour l'Islande : il n'y avait pas de marché pour l'Islande auparavant, maintenant tout le monde et sa grand-mère y est allé ou a comme projet d'y aller.

3 minutes ago, begratto said:

Mais les nouveaux vols à rabais ne vont-ils pas créer une nouvelle demande?  Comme les vols de Wow, Icelandair et Air Canada l'ont fait pour l'Islande : il n'y avait pas de marché pour l'Islande auparavant, maintenant tout le monde et sa grand-mère y est allé ou a comme projet d'y aller.

Pas a 100% et definitivement pas en termes de revenue pour les transporteurs.

Je vous dit, avec mon experience, les full service airlines a Montreal sont plus fragiles que les WOW/ICelandair/Level's du monde. 

1 hour ago, mark_ac said:

premium carriers like Swiss/British/Lufthansa that are already handicapped by the fact that Montreal is a poor premium market

I agree. The risk is that LX BA LH lose main cabin sales to the LCC-oriented carriers and YUL becomes even less attractive to them. Unless the arrival of more LCC seat volume actually grows the market. 

1 hour ago, mont royal said:

There will be transatlantic flights for $149 one-way.

Yes true but after taxes, government fees and the LCC extras that one is inclined to pay for (seat selection, checked luggage and food-beverage among others) the real cost for each round-trip goes way north of $600-$700. I want the premium carriers AND the LCCs to thrive at YUL but unless the market grows... 

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

I agree. The risk is that LX BA LH lose main cabin sales to the LCC-oriented carriers and YUL becomes even less attractive to them. Unless the arrival of more LCC seat volume actually grows the market. 

Yes true but after taxes, government fees and the LCC extras that one is inclined to pay for (seat selection, checked luggage and food-beverage among others) the real cost for each round-trip goes way north of $600-$700. I want the premium carriers AND the LCCs to thrive at YUL but unless the market grows... 

Extra costs

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

To the extent that extra costs are added, then to that extent the appeal to the consumer lessens and to that same extent, this supposed threat to the mainlines disappears.  So, it kind of evens out. Irrespective, the consumer ultimately rules...not the shareholders.