RTM / exo - Discussion générale

p_xavier

il y a 23 minutes, Enalung a dit :

We talk a lot about frequency when we talk about transit, but it frequency isn't everything. For those lines, I think that a single train each way every hour would be enough to make a difference. Compared to building an entire metro line, a single train per hour is a rather low bar. When choosing how to get somewhere, the knowledge that they can reliably expect one train every hour is enough to make some peoples reconsider their transit options. We can certainly increase frequency later if there is sufficient demand. The key is that it has to be reliable and on time. That means that we need to ensure that conflicts with CN and CP are handled to avoid any delays. If a train is scheduled for 11:15, it needs to show up at 11:15 plus or minus a minute every day without fail.

I think that Vaudreuil-Dorion is ripe for that type of service. There's already 4 tracks in that alignment. I have a hard time believing that there are enough cargo trains to fully occupy the capacity provided by 4 tracks. It might be enough to satisfy those who are calling for the REM to be extended to Vaudreuil-Dorion.

The Saint-Jérôme line has a mostly continuous built up area up to Mirabel. I think that a station needs to be added at Canora to allow transfers to the REM.

At the same time, I think that we could add a few lines. There is an abandoned sub that goes straight into the heart of Chambly. It could be reactivated. This line would obviously attract a much smaller ridership and should be sized accordingly. The Candiac line should be extended to Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu. It seems far out there, but it would still be shorter than the St-Jérôme line.

I have posted other ideas on the thread I have on the vision forum, but I think that theses lower priced investments would be a good start. They would be a good way to gauge how successful a proper train service could be in Montreal.

Very much appreciated.

I am all for value for money/bang for the buck.  Admittedly less spectacular than heavy investments such as the metro or the REM, but can bring widespread results within a much shorter time span.  It is not merely a matter of scarce financial resources, but equally of a limited capacity to carry several large projects simultaneously.  Currently, we have the REM (West/Brossard) under completion, plus the extension of the blue metro line in preparation; if we add the REM de l'Est, there will be very little construction capacity left for several years, meaning that all other areas clamoring for mass transit infrastructures will have to wait for a long time, notwithstanding  any "sincere" promises.  For me, good intentions are not good enough.

Examples of decisions failing to take into account duration between efforts made and  results which can be enjoyed.

1) Your partner is proposing to build a castle; it will take 10-15 years to complete.  Meanwhile, You would both live in a trailer on site.

2) You plan to be very rich when you retire. You decide to content yourself with rice or noodle plates over the next 40 years.   

• Like 1

This is the RMTransit video on what Toronto is getting. It will become easily one of the best train systems in North America once it is fully functional. There truly is a lot of common sense solutions which should be applied in Montreal.

• Like 3

il y a 3 minutes, Enalung a dit :

This is the RMTransit video on what Toronto is getting. It will become easily one of the best train systems in North America once it is fully functional. There truly is a lot of common sense solutions which should be applied in Montreal.

Common sense is different for everyone.  It's more cost effective to build more REM lines because it costs less to operate/build/maintain over years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, p_xavier said:

Common sense is different for everyone.  It's more cost effective to build more REM lines because it costs less to operate/build/maintain over years.

The ERTMS signaling standard that is going to be used in Toronto is capable of fully automated service. The Elizabeth line in London will be fully automated in its central section and is able to interface with older signaling systems. Sure, we could go and spend billions to get a single line operational. What I'm advocating here is that we spend a few hundred million at most to run an hourly train. This would help build up ridership which could eventually rise to a level that justifies upgrading those lines to a fully automated service. The station infrastructure is already there. Most of what we would need is rolling stock and drivers. It is a comparatively small investment for the potential benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Le 2022-04-21 à 13:45, p_xavier a dit :

Hum. Pour opérer peut-être que ça coûte moins cher mais pour le reste j’en doute. De toutes manières, un ou l’autre, leur projet est vraiment cool.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://railway-usa.com/news/54497-systra-wins-major-rolling-stock-procurement-contract

SYSTRA a été choisie par exo pour fournir des services professionnels pour l’approvisionnement de 10 locomotives Charger qu’elle a récemment commandées à Siemens.

Le mandat de SYSTRA, d’une durée de 6 ans, comprend la gestion de projet, les services d’ingénierie pour les revues de conception, la supervision de la production, l’assurance qualité et le soutien aux essais, à la validation et à la mise en service. Bien qu’exo ait choisi un produit existant, la phase d’ingénierie sera axée sur la conformité aux exigences réglementaires et aux conditions d’exploitation canadiennes, ainsi que sur la compatibilité avec les flottes existantes d’exo.

Le mandat d’approvisionnement comprend une option d’acquisition de locomotives additionnelles qui, si est exercée, assurera une collaboration à long terme entre SYSTRA et exo.

• Like 1