Aller au contenu

RTM / exo - Discussion générale

p_xavier

Messages recommendés

Le LRC doit être le trian le plus aérodynamique que le Canada ait connu, non ?

Quand aux nouvelles voitures chinoises, on peut dire qu'elles sont plus esthétiques que les voitures-pilote BiLevel et MultiLevel (c'est pas difficile).

2 hours ago, TER200 said:

Le LRC doit être le trian le plus aérodynamique que le Canada ait connu, non ?

I think possibly the UAC TurboTrain had a lower Cd than the LRC, but its power cars had a much larger cross section.

5C9BB3B0-DC74-467B-814F-C7D58E0B21DA.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 mois plus tard...
  • 3 semaines plus tard...
  • 2 semaines plus tard...

This is the type of investment we should be making in Montreal. 2 way all day train service would go a long way toward reducing traffic.

Ontario's GO Rail Getting 200 km Of New Tracks & Electric Trains To 'Make Travel Easier

According to a press release, the Ontario government has given a contract to update the GO rail network and bring "two-way, all-day service to the Greater Golden Horseshoe" area with 200 kilometres of new tracks and electric trains.

Source: https://www.narcity.com/toronto/ontarios-go-rail-getting-200-km-of-new-tracks-electric-trains-to-make-travel-easier

• Like 1

On 2022-04-12 at 9:47 PM, Doctor D said:

Renovations and improvements to Montreal West train station including new tunnel:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8734393/new-upgrades-montreal-west-station/

image.thumb.png.08351b25b67050a6907aa6bc3689884a.png

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Ce que je retiens de l'article, c'est la dernière portion:

Maurice says exo is aware of the interest to remove the level crossings and is considering all options.

“Everything is on the table and we’re still discussing with all of our partners what we can do to improve the security,” said.

The pedestrian tunnel extension and glass entrance on Sherbrooke street are expected to cost almost $30 million and it’s scheduled to be finished and open to the public by the end of 2023.

In other words, 30 millions in the garbage because they know that they are eventually going to do the right thing and remove the level crossing. Given the geometry of the area, the train very likely going to have to be the one that goes under which means a complete rebuild of the station and several hundred meters of tracks. This is what I truly hate about transit in the beautiful province of Québec. We really do love to spend on half measures which ultimately end up limiting our ability to invest in projects that would truly make a difference. The half measures end up becoming a long term solution. They should just have gone ahead with the replacement of the level crossings. Instead of studying this project endlessly like they often do with other projects, they could have put out a tender for a design build contracts and solicited offers.

• Like 1

il y a 16 minutes, Enalung a dit :

This is the type of investment we should be making in Montreal. 2 way all day train service would go a long way toward reducing traffic.

Source: https://www.narcity.com/toronto/ontarios-go-rail-getting-200-km-of-new-tracks-electric-trains-to-make-travel-easier

2 way all day train service is great when there is a substantial demand for it.  In the Montreal area, the original REM (West to and from Brossard) will accomplish a similar purpose, albeit at a higher cost.  Where else do you envision a 2 way all day train service?  When I compare the Montreal region with the Greater Golden Horseshoe,  I find much less contiguous  (and globally smaller) job centers along the way in outlying areas.  

(My message is not intended to be critical, just questioning)

1 hour ago, Né entre les rapides said:

2 way all day train service is great when there is a substantial demand for it.  In the Montreal area, the original REM (West to and from Brossard) will accomplish a similar purpose, albeit at a higher cost.  Where else do you envision a 2 way all day train service?  When I compare the Montreal region with the Greater Golden Horseshoe,  I find much less contiguous  (and globally smaller) job centers along the way in outlying areas.  

(My message is not intended to be critical, just questioning)

We talk a lot about frequency when we talk about transit, but frequency isn't everything. For those lines, I think that a single train each way every hour would be enough to make a difference. Compared to building an entire metro line, a single train per hour is a rather low bar. When choosing how to get somewhere, the knowledge that they can reliably expect one train every hour is enough to make some peoples reconsider their transit options. We can certainly increase frequency later if there is sufficient demand. The key is that it has to be reliable and on time. That means that we need to ensure that conflicts with CN and CP are handled to avoid any delays. If a train is scheduled for 11:15, it needs to show up at 11:15 plus or minus a minute every day without fail.

I think that Vaudreuil-Dorion is ripe for that type of service. There's already 4 tracks in that alignment. I have a hard time believing that there are enough cargo trains to fully occupy the capacity provided by 4 tracks. It might be enough to satisfy those who are calling for the REM to be extended to Vaudreuil-Dorion.

The Saint-Jérôme line has a mostly continuous built up area up to Mirabel. I think that a station needs to be added at Canora to allow transfers to the REM.

At the same time, I think that we could add a few lines. There is an abandoned sub that goes straight into the heart of Chambly. It could be reactivated. This line would obviously attract a much smaller ridership and should be sized accordingly. The Candiac line should be extended to Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu. It seems far out there, but it would still be shorter than the St-Jérôme line.

I have posted other ideas on the thread I have on the vision forum, but I think that theses lower priced investments would be a good start. They would be a good way to gauge how successful a proper train service could be in Montreal. Again, a single train per hour is a rather low bar when compared to building an entire metro line. As I kept messing with the lines on my map, this is the conclusion that I reached.

• Like 4