IluvMTL

Its funny how some people accuse Montrealers of not being "opened to the world" and stay dogged in dépassé debates about culture. Yet the "open minded" individuals making these repeated claims wouldnt perceive the modern day global market in which we live, and only keep Toronto as a potential competitor. We shouldn't focus on Boston, Philly or other markets that are in our vicinity and are comparable in size?

Je suis sûr que Paris ne se concerne pas de ce qui se fait à Londres ou à Munich.*

You're saying things I didn't say.

All I'm saying is that you can't overly generalize when you compare cities to each other and say Montreal is in the top 10, is better than Boston...It's like those lists we see from time to time. So many things have to be taken into consideration and many are quite complex: As far as growth or health of our economy is concerned there are many : Employment rate, mean income, number of head-offices, number of billionaires, birth-rate, cost of real estate or renting,...)

There will allways be plusses and minusses on specific categories, You throw it all in the mix and stress or bring out which ones are the most important in a given time. But you can't compare apples and oranges. You just end up with a global score that is what it is.

As I mentioned in the case at hand (weak population growth in this city) some factors present in the states may explain why people choose to live in the suburbs you mentionned that are not a factor here. In my example I gave the incidence of crime as an additional factor that may (probably) entice people to live/move to the suburbs in the States. Since the murder rate is incredibly high in Chicago and so low in Montreal. I aussume that it is a factor that would explain why migration out of Chicago is higher than here. Look what happened to Detroit !

Of course you can compare us to any city you want, but better stick to specific factors and examine the differences and why they occur. The devil is in the details. This is the city that I love. I hate reading anything that belittles it, whether it be government corruption, exaggerated language issues, racial or other intolerance, bashing of any sort, mismanagement of public funds....But I am not affraid to admit these things when they happen and to question why, I do not deny them or try to critize the messenger or look for a scapegoat. I'm confident that any lies or exagerations will not hold up to scrutiny and good economic news travels fast. We have to get over playing the victim. Too much negative energy there. And such a waste of it at that.

Edited by IluvMTL

If comparisons are complex, and context is hard to take into effect when comparing cities, why do we easily accept any comparison of ultra specific data between ourselves and Toronto time and again without looking at the global picture? I didnt deny the data, i just fail to see the relevance, especially when comparing ourselves to other cities in the context of interprovincial migrations, of the net migration between a city and its suburbs or other regions.*

Dubious beginning for this thread: a table showing population growth by CMAs (Census Metropolitan Areas) followed by an article from The Gazette on the population growth of the Island of Montreal proper.

Talk about comparing apples and oranges!

Personally, I much prefer analysis pertaining to CMAs as true indicators of growth. Data pertaining to geographical subsets (such as the Island of Montreal or the City of Toronto) are useful in assessing development trends/forms WITHIN CMAs, a different matter altogether.

Dubious beginning for this thread: a table showing population growth by CMAs (Census Metropolitan Areas) followed by an article from The Gazette on the population growth of the Island of Montreal proper.

Talk about comparing apples and oranges!

Personally, I much prefer analysis pertaining to CMAs as true indicators of growth. Data pertaining to geographical subsets (such as the Island of Montreal or the City of Toronto) are useful in assessing development trends/forms WITHIN CMAs, a different matter altogether.

l'île de Montréal continue de grossir. Environ de 20k de façon naturel avec les naissances et l'immigration, entre autre. La ville de Montréal a atteint les 1.74M cette année, et l'île dépasse les 2M depuis l'année passée.

l'île de Montréal continue de grossir. Environ de 20k de façon naturel avec les naissances et l'immigration, entre autre. La ville de Montréal a atteint les 1.74M cette année, et l'île dépasse les 2M depuis l'année passée.

Tant mieux! J'espère seulement que votre réponse vise à contrer le propos contenu dans l'article de The Gazette, et non pas mon commentaire, qui est manifestement d'un autre ordre.

Tant mieux! J'espère seulement que votre réponse vise à contrer le propos contenu dans l'article de The Gazette, et non pas mon commentaire, qui est manifestement d'un autre ordre.

c'était pour vous ''rassurer'' d'une façon, et pour ajouter des chiffres, qui démontrent que l'article est de la pure désinformation.

:mtl:

c'était pour vous ''rassurer'' d'une façon, et pour ajouter des chiffres, qui démontrent que l'article est de la pure désinformation.

:mtl:

Comme donnes de base l'article nous cite un document/analyse de la Ville de Montréal

Le lien au document est inclus dans le texte original du journal.

Screenshot_2016-11-29-09-24-53.png

"That’s 42-per-cent less than the previous year’s net gain (9,465) and the worst performance since 2007-2008, when Montreal posted a net loss of 596 people due to migration, according to a new analysis by Montreal’s economic development office."

Edited by IluvMTL

J'aime bien le tableau comparatif en début de page. Avec ce tableau on réalise que Montréal a plus de population que Vancouver et Calgary ensembles, soit les 3eme et 4eme villes du pays. 4 060 versus 3 943.

Et Montréal a aussi autant de population que Calgary, Edmonton et Ottawa-Gatineau, soit les 4eme, 5eme et 6eme ville du pays ensembles. 4 060 versus 4 134. C'est quand même impressionnant lorsqu'on y pense, surtout avec tout ce que Montréal a connu comme bouleversement au cours de son histoire. Mais j'ai aussi réalisé, dans un autre tableau, qu'il y a autant de population dans le grand Montréal que la province de l'Alberta tout entière !!!

We should do better, for sure. Mais avec les bonnes nouvelles qu'on entend récemment, Mtl is on the rise, economically speaking. Les conséquences positives en termes de population growth se manifesteront d'ici une dizaine d'années. Patience.