Aller au contenu

Montreal #3 - Quarterly Office Rental Growth 2016Q2

_mtler_

Messages recommendés

Le marché des espaces de bureau est plutôt en baisse a l'échelle mondial. Le grand coupable internet et aussi la disparition du papier. Rio Tinto a couper dans son siege social de montreal mais aussi a Melbourne et Londres.

Si on veut attirer des sièges sociaux faudrait songer a baisser les impôts de haut salariés sinon on n'attira pas beaucoup de sieges.

Modifié par andre md

• Réponses 27
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Serait cool d'avoir le siege groupe produit primaire d'Alcoa a Montreal on croise les doigts.

Et considérant que l'on va peut etre voir Alcoa installer son siege social sous peu :rotfl:

http://www.lesaffaires.com/bourse/nouvelles-economiques/curieuse-erreur-alcoa-parle-effectivement-d-amener-un-siege-social-au-quebec/589218

L'idée d'une division qui s'installe à Montréal pourrait avoir du sens (cout électricité / Négo avec gouvernement / etc.)

L'idée du siège social me semble un peu exagérée... C'est peut être une question d'impôt (Valeant, Tim Horton Burger King, etc.)

• 3 semaines plus tard...
One quarter! It's one friggin quarter and you're going to sing the song of Quebec as an economic superpower....

Look at it this way:

Of the 110 cities on the list, do you believe that on average, Montreal is last in terms of economic significance and GDP per capita? I use the latter stat because I know how much you love it mark_ac and love to prove a lot of your points with it. Consider all 110 cities and their GDP per capita, is Montreal last? Is Montreal worse than , Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Dubai, and Shanghai? These are not nothing cities. Or any city in the UK, outside of London?

acpnc is not saying that Quebec is an economic superpower. He's making a point with a statistic, that is worth making. You do it all the time. The CD Howe Institute does it all the time. Had the ranking germane to this thread showed Montreal last of 110 cities, you would no doubt have started this thread and we'd never read the end of it...

Use the following link;

Global Metro Monitor | Brookings Institution

Montreal is #147 for GDP per capita. It's peers are Rome, Barcelona and Berlin to your point.

So before you point at one quarter and claim victory over the "angryphones", tell me when Montreal will be in the top 50 of cities (Toronto is #39) of GDP per capita.

To your point, I'll have debate on facts/stats any day

For GDP per capita, Toronto is #100, not #39... The only Canadian cities that were in the top 50 for GDP per capita in 2014 are Calgary and Edmonton.

Toronto is #39 for total GDP, while Mtl is #86.

It would be good to use the good facts when debating...

C'est une excellente nouvelle, mais je vais vous avouer que je trouve ça surprenant! Depuis plus de 18 mois, le marché du Centre-Ville est très "mou".

En tous cas, j'espère que cette tendance va se continuer!

Modifié par Habsfan

• Administrateur
For GDP per capita, Toronto is #100, not #39... The only Canadian cities that were in the top 50 for GDP per capita in 2014 are Calgary and Edmonton.

Toronto is #39 for total GDP, while Mtl is #86.

It would be good to use the good facts when debating...

Guys can you actually provide reffered facts to back up your claims?

• 2 semaines plus tard...
Look at the link from the brookings institute embedded in my message

This is the link that I broke down earlier this year on April 30 in the "New office towers without jobs to fill them won’t help Montreal" post No.70.

As I wrote in that post, Quebec City has a higher GDP per capita than Montreal. Quebec City outperforms many big metropolises, world capitals and top financial centres in terms of GDP per capita (Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Berlin, Dubai, Delhi, Mumbai, Shanghai, Beijing, Melborne, and Sao Paulo). These global metropolises are some of the world's great cities. Some of them are giants in the business world. Yet, they all have lower, sometimes tens of thousands of dollars lower, GDP per capita than Quebec City.

Even with the much derided bureaucracy of the Quebec state, Quebec City still has a higher GDP per capita than the capitals of Spain, India and China.

Quebec City has very positive Overall Performance Rankings in the Brookings data (it's a blue dot like many cities in Western US and Canada!). It also has the same language laws and high provincial taxes as Montreal. Basically, the same perceived negatives as Montreal. That's why I love when you use this Brookings data mark_ac, because you're so caught up in the small world of MTLvTOR, which makes us Canadians look very provincial to outsiders I must say, that you haven't noticed that Quebec City, language laws, high taxes and all, disproves your theory about Montreal.

Use the following link;

Global Metro Monitor | Brookings Institution

Montreal is #147 for GDP per capita. It's peers are Rome, Barcelona and Berlin to your point.

So before you point at one quarter and claim victory over the "angryphones", tell me when Montreal will be in the top 50 of cities (Toronto is #39) of GDP per capita.

To your point, I'll have debate on facts/stats any day

Not claiming victory over angryphones. I sometimes agree with you. Sometimes...

I am an anglophone, but I don't like other anglophones who have an allergic reaction to French, and see French as an obstacle to Montreal's success. Don't tell me that if Quebec, who controls its own immigration policy, ambitiously and aggressively, sought to increase its population by 250K immigrants a year, focused on French speaking countries, with the aim of creating/growing our own low-skilled manufacturing industries/markets, growing our retail sector and other sectors of lower middle class jobs for all those new Quebecers, that it wouldn't be good for our economy. Not to mention making it easier for professionals to practice in Quebec. We would almost double our population in a generation, with millions more French speaking people. Such a Quebec would be more diverse and less insular, more prosperous and less stagnant, and by sheer number, much more French. It's not the language, it's our approach to society building in Quebec that has to change. When this place starts thinking big with it's immigration strategy and sees the world's over 200 million francophones as an opportunity and not something to legislative and discriminate against, Quebec will soar with the eagles. Once we get out of seeing ourselves as besieged by a sea of English North America that we need to protect against, while we continue to look back at 1960s, holding on to "valeurs québécois" for dear life as our average age increases and our birth rate decreases, and instead the thoroughly franco-international, diverse society that we can become, then maybe Montreal (with 8 million people by then) will be in the top 50 of cities in GDP per capita. I'm not a separatist, and I am against the idea of an independent Quebec, but if I was running for the leadership of the PQ, what I just wrote would be my whole platform. Hey, if you want your own county, go big or go home!

You're playing fast and loose with your own stats, mark_ac. I took the time to break down your link back in April. You cite Montreal as No. 147 for GDP per capital. According to the link, that's "GDP per capita (PPP): $38,867 (147th). No argument there my friend. But then when you compare it with Toronto, you cite it as GDP (PPP $Millions): $276,313 (39th). Wouldn't it make more sense, and be less intellectually dishonest, to have compared the GDP per capita (PPP) for both? Montreal $38,867 (147th) and Toronto $45,771 (100th). And yes, Toronto's is higher, we bow down and worship the Queen City, their GDP per capita is higher....by $6,904.

Do a rough calculation of income taxes and gas (both higher here) and rent, childcare, utilities, public transit and car insurance in Toronto (all drastically higher there) and that $6,904 disappears faster than it takes to scramble cross at Yonge-Dundas Square on a Saturday night at 3am.

But all hail the mighty Toronto, with their higher GDP per capita than Montreal!

mark_ac, move to Toronto, take your extra bump in GDP per capita you expect to make (+/-$6,904) and put it towards a down payment on a condo at CityPlace....you're gonna need it! Beware of the falling glass and leaky dishwasher pipes (pray the 20 floors above you don't leak!), as we beware the potholes and crumbling (but under (re)construction!) infrastructure.

Ah life, no matter what you do, it all comes out to the same thing!