I heard a rumor today in the flight deck and I wanted to see if anyone else had heard it.

Apparently FedEx is saturated in Memphis, and they're looking to make another North American Hub....and apparently Mirabel is the choice, or is being considered. I did a search online, with no luck....

Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? Would be the perfect re-birth for the airport.

Mark AC i work for Transforce under federal jurisdictions the same apply for FedEX so big deal with bill 101 we don´t care everything is done in english for all except for communications with french speaking customers.

All the tracking system for parcel and load is managed in english at Transforce. Except the web interface for the customers.

Edited by andre md

I realize they're already established in YYZ...but what I heard is they were talking about a SERIOUS hub. A-la Memphis. YYZ will never be a major cargo hub because of the curfew IMO, Mirabel bypasses that issue. Not ideal for connecting to the rest of North America, but well suited for polar flights to asia, and anything to Europe, Africa, and the middle east.

As Andre MD said, don't think language will be an issue as they're not really dealing with anyone local...

Anyway, most likely just hot air, but fun to dream.

FedEx has too much North American-based volume to consider loading and unloading planes outside of a core geographic area, and I feel Mirabel is just too far away from that core. It might work for a DHL-type operator but not so much for FedEx. Hamilton might be better situated for Eastern North America overnight operations, for the simple reason that the overflow portion that redirects from MEM would be closer at YHM, less of an impact on scheduling. But I am just speculating.

Oui André tu as raison, en effet FedEx à CDG, c'est leur deuxiéme plus grande plaque tournante au monde entier. Another thing in Mirabel's favour would be the paradoxical greenfield aspect: The airport's 40 years old but you can still build a giant facility on pretty well any footprint of land you want. And even though the surrounding land buffer is smaller than in the past, there would be fewer late-night noise issues than at Hamilton.

^^

That and the fact that YMX is virtually unused. Only 59,000 movements last year. (although it is increasing consistently these last few years)

That means FedEx can build a massive cargo building at little to no trouble, next to two virtually unused 12,000ft runways.

You cannot find this anywhere else, at least not in such a glaringly obvious way !

If this comes to be, NavCan will have to reopen the control tower services, instead of the current FSS services provided. I hear FedEx pilots have no clue as it is how to deal with an FSS.

Overall though, i have my doubts about this ! As was mentioned, their Canadian hub is YYZ. They also have a decent sized operation at EWR, both of which are less than 350 miles from YMX. Is another hub really warranted so close to two others? I don't know.

I realize they're already established in YYZ...but what I heard is they were talking about a SERIOUS hub. A-la Memphis.

They already have one, Indianapolis. The company's second largest hub after MEM. And in my opinion, it is underutilized. IND only had 153,000 movements two years ago. There is clearly room there for growth, as the airport has a set of parallels just like YUL and can easily handle 300,000+ movements a year.

Oui André tu as raison, en effet FedEx à CDG, c'est leur deuxiéme plus grande plaque tournante au monde entier.

Troisieme, apres MEM et IND.

Edited by thenoflyzone

I spoke to another friend of mine who works for FedEx and she said they have been hearing rumors about Mirabel for a little bit now....doesn't sound like they're increasing in frequency though. However, it was brought to my attention that FedEx just bought TNT...perhaps that could lead to some changes and new operations area in North America.