Both governments are currently spending part of my money for stuff that does not interest me as much as say, having put the funds together to have saved the nordiques or expos.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind they spend some of my $$$ for museums, festivals, etc.. because I strongly believe that as a whole, we all win.

However, not having the city of Québec on the NHL map is a disgrace and my heart aches every time spring training rolls around.

The government should have done something...:thumbsdown:

The role of the state is clearly not to subsidize outragiously any professional sports team.

They can help for the infrastructures since it will also serves other purposes, but it still doesnt change the fact that Quebec City is borderline in terms of economic capacity to have a team flourish there and turn a profit

They should have helped them with the infrastructure. The nordiques would have been stanley cup winners! Do you know what that would've been like? No quebec city business would ever have allowed the team to leave after that!

The expos would be currently benefiting from the same canadian dollar advantage as the habs currently are.

Why must everyone opposed to sports subsudies bring up the same argument about sports players being rich and owners too wealthy and bla bla bla...

What about Bombardier, Alcan? I don't think Bombardier's payroll is any lower than the nordiques or expos would have been. But as soon as they say "I'm moving this plant and this project to this place...." Everyone is tripping all over themselves to help that rich ass company, saying "Oh no! we can't let them go, let's help!"

Just because you cannot accurately estimate the economic impact of a sports team leaving, like you could for layoffs, it doesn't make it right.

I agree with you 110% that Quebec City needs a hockey team and Montreal needs a baseball team.

However, I think it would be wrong for either club to be government-owned.

With regards to Bombardier we are talking about thousands of well-paying educated jobs for local people.

A sports franchise has less than 100 very high-paying jobs for people who usually don't even live here (unless they're from here).

I don't think Bombardier's payroll is any lower than the nordiques or expos would have been

No your right. bombardier's payroll is much bigger than the NBordiques ever was. At it's peak, the Nordiques payroll was in the neighborhood of 10-25 million$(and i,m being generous!!!) We might add another 5 million$ for the support staff and directors.

Let's say Bombardier employs approx 5,000 people at an average salary of 50,000$ per year, your looking at a payroll fo 250,000,000 dollars. It's alot more.

Like West Aust already explained to you, the CIty of Québec is not big enough(economically speaking) to garantee that an NHL Franchise would prosper there in the long run. I seriously doubt there are enough companies in the Q.C. region (and we can include the northern parts of the province, ie: Chicoutimi, RImouski, etc...) to be able to afford corporate Skyboxes...at least 100 of them. Not while Montreal is around and takes up most of the corporate support in this province.

As far as the Expos leaving....my views on this might not please some of you here, but I think Montrealers got what they deserved. True that Selig, Brochu and Loria did all they could to ruin this franchise, but most Montrealers abandonned the Expos. With the exception of those 3,000 or 4,000 die hard fans who would go to the Big O regularly, every Montrealer is responsible for the loss of the Expos. Like I said earlier, I HATE Selig, I hate Loria and I hate Brochu. I wish they would just keel over and die, but to only blame them would not be right.

Those last 4 years were shameful for a city of our size. When a city averages 2,000 fans per game, it is a clear sign that the city no longer deserves a team. Where were the Fans when Vladimir Guererro was hitting 40HR's and driving in 100RBI's? Where were the fans to watch Orlando Cabrera, Jose Vidro and Brad Wilkerson?

I don't want to go off topic but I also blame the media for the expos downfall. How can a sportscast logically start with the habs exhibtion game highlights when the expos are fighting for a wildcard spot? :duh:

Anyway, I would never except the government to pay for a new sports franchise, but it is their duty to ensure it survives through the rough times.

Just like any other enterainment; jazz fest, grand prix etc.

I'm sure the jazz fest's attendence will go waaaaaaay up in 2011, partly due to the government that finally stopped pressing the snooze button and backed it up and renovated the area. We will never know for sure but having build a new stadium for the expos downtown, would have boosted attendence and brought new life to the club. The government should have helped them and the nordiques!:biting:

Like West Aust already explained to you, the CIty of Québec is not big enough(economically speaking) to garantee that an NHL Franchise would prosper there in the long run. I seriously doubt there are enough companies in the Q.C. region (and we can include the northern parts of the province, ie: Chicoutimi, RImouski, etc...) to be able to afford corporate Skyboxes...at least 100 of them.

Owning an NHL team in quebec is not as expensive as it was when the dollar was 0,60$ US. The gov't should have helped them get through those years, just like its helping the shitty forest industry, which I approve BTW.

The nordiques would have been a stanley cup team, I believe the demographics are there to support nhl in the 2000's

I don't want to go off topic but I also blame the media for the expos downfall. How can a sportscast logically start with the habs exhibtion game highlights when the expos are fighting for a wildcard spot? :duh:

Just like in many US cities, they don't give rats about the NHL, and the sportscast start with the baseball spring training while their team is at the height of a fight to get into the playoffs, can't blame the media for not giving 100h of exposure to a sport that doesnt interest many people in the city.

Owning an NHL team in quebec is not as expensive as it was when the dollar was 0,60$ US. The gov't should have helped them get through those years, just like its helping the shitty forest industry, which I approve BTW.

The nordiques would have been a stanley cup team, I believe the demographics are there to support nhl in the 2000's

As i said before, Quebec city, just like Winniped for instance, is borderline in terms of demographics to support a team, yes now everything is doing well, people have money, companies have money in that area, but it doesnt take much and were in a downturn and people/companies stop spending on professional sports.

We've even seen it in montreal, many high-tech companies that had corporate suites sold them after the techno bubble, they just could justify that kind of expenses, even the seats in the Bell Center are now mainly held by companies (or professionnals/self-employed) rather than individuals for their own enjoyment.

• Administrator

a hockey team does not bring "fresh" money to a city, bombardier and alcan on the other hand export their stuff and bring in money to the province.

think about it.

"Tonight on Sportsdesk, the Quebec Nordiques/Montreal Expos in town for game 7 of the Stanley Cup/World Series finals"

"Hey honey, let's go visit Quebec/Montreal for the weekend"

Free publicity

Think about it.