Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Le 2022-04-27 à 19:02, Internist a dit :

Merci pour la réponse! J’étais tout juste sur le fil de la Place Ville-Marie où ça s’ostine en pure perte au sujet de l’anneau, et c’est agréable de voir des interventions constructives et courtoises. Heureusement, il y a encore suffisamment de ces interventions pour que le forum vaille le détour!

Je seconde!

Le 2022-04-27 à 13:53, Normand Hamel a dit :

C'est pour faciliter la circulation des camions qui sortent du port. Le viaduc leur donnera un accès plus direct à l'autoroute tout en leur permettant de contourner les quartiers résidentiels.


Actuellement, les camions transitent par quatre axes routiers (Pie-IX, Viau, Bossuet ou Curatteau), puis ils empruntent Notre-Dame pour accéder à l’autoroute 25. Avec la construction du Viaduc, ils emprunteront plutôt le lien routier, ainsi que la route temporaire, en attendant le prolongement du boulevard Assomption.



Je cherchais justement des informations au sujet du prolongement de l'axe l'Assomption et de Souligny. On attend encore le financement du provincial, c'est bien ça?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

il y a 10 minutes, Eric B. a dit :

Je cherchais justement des informations au sujet du prolongement de l'axe l'Assomption et de Souligny. On attend encore le financement du provincial, c'est bien ça?

Je ne sais pas exactement ce qui se passe avec le boulevard l'Assomption mais je crois qu'il y a de l'opposition localement et si c'est effectivement le cas cela pourrait avoir pour effet de retarder le projet.

Cependant le viaduc lui-même était une priorité du gouvernement provincial et était inscrit dans la loi spéciale qui avait pour but d'accélérer certains projets se retrouvant sur la liste prioritaire. C'est d'ailleurs une loi semblable qui avait permis une mise en chantier rapide du REM sous l'ancien gouvernement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Looking back...Access via the link for the images


Library and Archives Canada Blog

The Port of Montreal

Posted on July 5, 2018

From the establishment of Montreal as a city in 1642, until the arrival of steam-powered ships in the early part of the 19th century, the Port of Montreal was mostly used by trappers throughout the fur trade and then by French and English sailing vessels bringing supplies to their colony. However, with the appearance of steam-powered ships and the resulting opening of many new and international trading routes, the Port of Montreal would leave behind its humble beginnings and enter into a new period of growth and expansion.

An oil painting of a harbour and waterfront, with a green island visible on the right. 
Montreal Harbour, painted by Andrew Morris in 1847, e008300982

Throughout the mid to late 1800s, the Port of Montreal saw countless changes and improvements, starting in 1830 with the establishment of the first Harbour Commission. By 1832, almost three-quarters of a mile of docks had been constructed, and by 1854, the navigation channel between Montreal and Quebec City had been successfully dredged to a depth of 16 feet. Other improvements during this time frame include the movement of goods from the port by train, the installation of electric lights, a further dredging of the channel to 25 feet, as well as the introduction of regular steamship service between the Port of Montreal and Liverpool.

The Port was further enhanced during the early part of the 20th century. The construction of grain elevators began in 1902 and transit sheds in 1908. And by 1910, the deepening of the channel between Montreal and Quebec City to 35 feet was well under way.

A black-and-white photograph of a wharf lined with various types of cargo with a large neo-classical building and a church along the shoreline.
View of the Bonsecours market, wharves and church, photograph by Alexander Henderson, ca. 1875 (c007943)

Because of the harsh Canadian winter, the Port of Montreal was open only seven months of the year up until the early 1960s. However, in 1962, the National Harbours Board (which had become responsible for the Port of Montreal after the demise of the Harbour Commission) introduced icebreakers to the waterway between Montreal and Quebec City. By 1964, the Port of Montreal was open all year long.

A watercolour of a huge ice buildup along the port shoreline of a city.
“Breaking up of the ice in the St. Lawrence at Montreal,” painted by George Henry Andrews in 1864 (e000996176)

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) has many items that chronicle the evolution of the Port of Montreal. The earliest item is a photograph taken in 1870 by Alexander Henderson depicting the steamship S.S. Quebec docked at Montreal harbour with horse-drawn carts on the shore in the foreground. There are also photographs of the Port by William Topley, Henry Joseph Woodside and Hayward Studios. LAC also has a beautiful oil painting completed in 1847 by Andrew Morris depicting the harbour and waterfront of Montreal from the unusual vantage point of Montreal’s shore across from St. Helen’s Island.

A black-and-white photograph of a busy harbour front, showing a street of buildings and boat-lined piers.
View of Montreal Harbour, photograph by William Topley, September 1902 (a201779)

A black-and-white photograph of railway lines running along a ship-lined harbour front.
Wharf and harbour, undated photograph by William Topley (a008893)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...