I am wondering if Google offered this service here in Quebec, would you use it?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. I am wondering if Google offered this service here in Quebec, would you use it?

• Yes
    • No

Google is on stage now in Kansas for the launch of its Gigabit Google Fiber Internet and TV service. Interested users can sign up today at Google.com/fiber for a $10 pre-registration fee.

Google will not actually deploy the service until the majority of people from designated “fiberhoods” in Kansas pre-register for the service. Fiberhoods are made of about 800 residents, but Google said announcements about the service for businesses would be made at a later time. The fiberhoods that show the highest level of interest by September will get the service first.

Read more at http://9to5google.com/#KtzmPqKgJf6xvBI3.99

1 Gbps with unlimited data all for $70/month :eek2: Damn you Kansas City (Kansas / Missouri) Oh yah did I forget 1TB of space in Google Drive.

Ca va donner un énorme tremplin à Google TV!

I don't know why, but I'm smelling antitrust fumes coming this way...

Edited by LindbergMTL

Actualy the whole package is $120 a month ($70 doesn't include the TV)

If...BIG IF it ever was offered here, the CRTC would bastardize the whole thing and make it meaningless. Hello, Netflix Canada.

Part of the problem with digital media in Canada, is not the CRTC, but our retarded copyrights law that are from an ancient time and not made for the digital age.

And as soon as they want to touch them, artists complain. It took the court to rule that listening to a song preview online (ie the 30-60 sec thing on itunes) didn't warrant the payment of a fee to the artist, as it was not listening to the song!

Actualy the whole package is $120 a month ($70 doesn't include the TV)

That is true. I am enjoying the keynote right now. If they had Google Fiber here, I'd probably switch to Google Fiber + TV. I know Bell would dislike that. Plus they have a storage box with 2TB space (can be used as a DVR and/or store music, movies and pictures).

Bell Canada fiber service $200/month for 175 Mbps (approx. 16 MBps) and is capped at 300 GB. Yet Google able to do it for $70/month at 1 Gbps (approx. 125 MBps) and it is unlimited.

So it is 8 times faster and almost costs 3 times less.

Je suis un "early adopeter" de tout ce que Google fait. J'ai même aimer Google Wave et j'utilise Google + autant que j'utilise Facebook ou Twitter.

Je paierais jusqu'à 150$ par mois pour ce service avec la télé.

I want an Internet service that gives me unlimited bandwidth.

I don't care about speed, I don't care about other features, I just care about total up/down limits.

Also, [insert commentary about the pervasiveness of car culture] ;)

I just have to read up on Google Fiber again, seeing they were talking about FTTN/FTTH. I know Montreal has FTTN which maxes out at 25 Mbps and Quebec has FTTH which maxes out at 175 Mbps. I can't wait to make the jump to Bell or TekSavvy 25 Mbps internet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Mondo_Grosso
      I know that many of you are against Montreal having it's own version of Time Square, but the point of this post is not to debate that. Rather, it's to look at potential locations if we had to chose one.
      Based on examples like Time Square in New York, Shibuya District in Tokyo,  Piccadilly Circus in London, Dundas Square in Toronto, I defined my own criteria as:
      Must be by an open area Must be close to commercial sector Must be accessible by metro At that, I have come up with Square Concordia, this is the area today:

Here is why I think that this is the ideal area:
      There are 3 large blind walls for the screens High density of 24/hour restaurants and bars High levels of foot traffic at all times Proximity to various festivals There are already renovated squares on each side of the street. The pedestrian area could be expanded to the parking lot on the right. There's a back lane in the lower right corner where food trucks could enter by and park in the square. A stage could also be setup there for events like Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival, Fantasia Film Festival, etc.

Highlighted in green are areas where a screen could go, solid green are screens on top of buildings, the yellow is where I would put food trucks or a stage:

These type of squares a great tourist attractions, both Toronto and New York list them at the top of tourist attractions. I also think that having a second public area in the west of downtown for smaller festivals would be a great compliment to the bigger festivals east at Place Des Festivals.
      Let me know what you think, if you have another suggestion, please share. Thank you for reading!

• By DonPictures
      Hey, I really like to make that kind of video. Tell me if you want to see more. Don't forget to like and subscribe, thank you for the watching.
      Follow me on my social media:
      IG: @donpicturehd
      https://www.instagram.com/donpicturehd/
      Music: KARD - Don't Recall (Hidden Ver.)

• By Cataclaw
      Est-ce que le métro devrait être en service la nuit ou est-ce que ça serait une dépense inutile?
    • By jesseps
      The jury members are:

- Melvin Charney, architect; - Odile Decq, architect and Director of the École Spéciale d'Architecture, Paris; - Jacques Des Rochers, Curator of Canadian Art, Montréal Museum of Fine Arts; - Michel Dionne, architect, Cooper, Robertson & Partners, New York; - Raphaël Fischler, urban planner and professor at the School of Urban Planning, McGill University; - Mario Masson, landscape architect and Division Manager, Service du développement culturel, de la qualité du milieu de vie et de la diversité ethnoculturelle, Ville de Montréal; - Alessandra Ponte, associate professor, School of Architecture, Université de Montréal; - Philippe Poullaouec-Gonidec, landscape architect and holder of the UNESCO Chair in Landscape and Environmental Design at Université de Montréal.

Instructions for prospective entrants

(Courtesy of CNW Telbec)
    • By ProposMontréal
      Pas de Camion à Déchets dans le QDS

Source: Spacing Montreal

There aren’t going to be any dump trucks blocking up the streets in Montreal’s new Quartier des Spectacles. Last Wednesday, the City approved a proposition to replace public trash cans with receptacles for garbage, recyclables and compostables, all hooked up to an vacuum-powered collection system. Waste placed in each receptacle would be sucked into a network of underground tubes and transported to a central processing location (possibly located in Place Desjardins).

At first glance, this system may seem unduly costly and invasive, not to mention energy intensive. But since the streets in the QDS are already slotted to be ripped up in order to replace ageing sewers, aqueducts and power-lines, throwing in the waste-collection system will only cost an additional $8.2 million (according to a planner who worked on the proposal). Under the new system, garbage collection in the neighborhood would rely on electricity rather than fossil fuels, which may not be a bad idea given the cost and environmental impacts of burning fuel.

Most importantly, the new garbage collection system would also apply to residents and businesses located in the Quartier des Spectacles. For instance, the restaurants in Place Desjardins would be able to be compost food scraps, saving several hundred tons of waste from landfills each year.

Although Montreal is behind cities like Toronto who offer composting for household waste, this initiative would be the first in North America to offer composting on the public domain and for businesses.

ENVAC, the European company that engineers these systems worldwide, built their first trash-vacuuming system in Stockholm in 1961 and it is still in operation (it has an expected lifespan of about 50 years, although that is probably standard for sewers and other infrastructure).

Teaching the hoards of drunken festival-goers and clueless tourists to sort trash from recyclables and organic waste is a challenge for the future…