I am wondering if Google offered this service here in Quebec, would you use it?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. I am wondering if Google offered this service here in Quebec, would you use it?

• Yes
    • No

Google is on stage now in Kansas for the launch of its Gigabit Google Fiber Internet and TV service. Interested users can sign up today at Google.com/fiber for a $10 pre-registration fee.

Google will not actually deploy the service until the majority of people from designated “fiberhoods” in Kansas pre-register for the service. Fiberhoods are made of about 800 residents, but Google said announcements about the service for businesses would be made at a later time. The fiberhoods that show the highest level of interest by September will get the service first.

Read more at http://9to5google.com/#KtzmPqKgJf6xvBI3.99

1 Gbps with unlimited data all for $70/month :eek2: Damn you Kansas City (Kansas / Missouri) Oh yah did I forget 1TB of space in Google Drive.

Actualy the whole package is $120 a month ($70 doesn't include the TV)

If...BIG IF it ever was offered here, the CRTC would bastardize the whole thing and make it meaningless. Hello, Netflix Canada.

Part of the problem with digital media in Canada, is not the CRTC, but our retarded copyrights law that are from an ancient time and not made for the digital age.

And as soon as they want to touch them, artists complain. It took the court to rule that listening to a song preview online (ie the 30-60 sec thing on itunes) didn't warrant the payment of a fee to the artist, as it was not listening to the song!

Actualy the whole package is $120 a month ($70 doesn't include the TV)

That is true. I am enjoying the keynote right now. If they had Google Fiber here, I'd probably switch to Google Fiber + TV. I know Bell would dislike that. Plus they have a storage box with 2TB space (can be used as a DVR and/or store music, movies and pictures).

Bell Canada fiber service $200/month for 175 Mbps (approx. 16 MBps) and is capped at 300 GB. Yet Google able to do it for $70/month at 1 Gbps (approx. 125 MBps) and it is unlimited.

So it is 8 times faster and almost costs 3 times less.

I want an Internet service that gives me unlimited bandwidth.

I don't care about speed, I don't care about other features, I just care about total up/down limits.

Also, [insert commentary about the pervasiveness of car culture] ;)

I just have to read up on Google Fiber again, seeing they were talking about FTTN/FTTH. I know Montreal has FTTN which maxes out at 25 Mbps and Quebec has FTTH which maxes out at 175 Mbps. I can't wait to make the jump to Bell or TekSavvy 25 Mbps internet.