Aller au contenu

Do you litter?  

45 membres ont voté

1. 1. Do you litter?

• Yes, I often do.
    • Only occasionally (for example when there's no litter bin around)
    • Never!
    • Never! I even tell other people not to do it.

Messages recommendés

I didn't send pictures. I was in a hurry when I saw the mess, but I will send some pictures tomorrow, and post them here too. I cannot believe their answer. I am seriously doubting my own sanity :(

Just to give everyone else an idea, the grass patch on that corner looked something like this photo I found on Flickr:

Litter in the park

plus a couple of bags hanging on the tree. The rest of the campus looks less bad, but there are still newspapers and bottles laying around.

• Réponses 47
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Here are the pictures from the UQAM Science campus. Sorry for the bad quality. This is supposed to be after their Spring cleaning.

Jeanne-Mance near Sherbrooke. There is also garbage all along Jeanne-Mance (to the right of this photo), especially under the benches.

scaled.php?server=855&filename=03282012090.jpg&res=medium

One of the many trees with bags.

scaled.php?server=189&filename=03282012091.jpg&res=medium

Right outside the student café.

scaled.php?server=849&filename=03282012092.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=827&filename=03282012094.jpg&res=medium

On Sherbrooke street. That on the left is a half-erased graffiti of an ejaculating penis. It has been there for at least 3 years. It has been fading out because of the weather.

scaled.php?server=804&filename=03282012095.jpg&res=medium

This is by far the cleanest area of the campus. That on the left is a shoe.

scaled.php?server=259&filename=03282012096.jpg&res=medium

More on Jeanne-Mance near Sherbrooke.

scaled.php?server=215&filename=03282012088.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=36&filename=03282012089.jpg&res=medium

I sent the pictures to UQAM yesterday and this morning when I walked by they had at least three men picking up litter from the grass. It looked pretty inefficient (no tools) but they were doing a good job as far as I could see. Sadly some students occupied the campus today and made a lot of graffiti vowing revenge against the police and crazy stuff like that. I am very sure those were not UQAM Science students (most of them looked really young, like CEGEP students, and they were mostly white and hipstersy, unlike the very diverse UQAM Science students). I'm sure the graffiti will be removed relatively quickly, but it's sad that the university has to spend money erasing it, and that a small group of monkeys are making all students look bad.

Update on the UQAM issue: I checked today and they actually did a very lazy job. There is still litter around, especially the larger pieces like plastic bags and cardboard boxes. I think I'm just going to start accepting mediocrity in terms of cleanliness for as long as I live here. I guess that's one more step to becoming a local. I don't have time to continue complaining about an issue that is obviously not going to change until some more millions of dollars are invested in it, and I don't have those.

• 2 semaines plus tard...

A guy just parked near my building, threw a large piece of plastic wrap on the grass near the sidewalk and then drove away. This is a very residential, very safe, and relatively clean area (at least compared with the rest of the city). I've seen people do this with cardboard boxes and diapers :S. I swear I never saw something like this in my country of origin or in the US. Why does it happen so often in Canada? It's disgusting. Having cleaned it up a few times, I'd estimate my block gets at least 20 new pieces of litter every day, and it has very very low foot traffic.

I have been making up excuses for my family not to visit me here. They would probably expect Canadian cities to be at least as clean as American cities. Judging by the stories of people who used to travel between the two countries in the past, I assume this used to be the case, but having been to several American cities, including their poor areas (which is where my grad student friends live) in the last few years, I find Montreal and Toronto to be extremely dirty. Are American cities really that much richer than ours? Or are Americans better citizens?

Modifié par Newbie

Today I volunteered in the Corvée du Mont-Royal and it was awesome!

http://www.lemontroyal.qc.ca/en/news-and-events/may-mount-royal-month/the-corvee-du-mont-royal.sn

There were a lot more people than the last time I volunteered three years ago! And the park was cleaner already.

When I came back home there was a family that left a mess (bottles, napkins, plates, etc) yesterday in the park in front of my building, so I went into the park and picked up yesterday's mess with an upset face while they were looking, then I went on to pick up what they had left so far today. Someone who appeared to be the alpha male seemed concerned and helped me pick up a couple of napkins. I feel a little bad, but today they didn't leave any garbage, and I'm sure they won't do it again.

I've seen people do this with cardboard boxes and diapers :S. I swear I never saw something like this in my country of origin or in the US. Why does it happen so often in Canada? It's disgusting. Having cleaned it up a few times, I'd estimate my block gets at least 20 new pieces of litter every day, and it has very very low foot traffic.

There is such so many factors who drove Montreal into a dirty city. There's some who are, in my opinion, the main ones.

1. For many years, the Quebec government has dangled the welfare state for its citizens. This constant interference in the lives of its citizens had a major downside, individual

disempowerment... "Someone else will do it for me".

2. Montreal is predominantly inhabited by tenants. I assume that the relation with public areas are not the same if you are a tenant or a owner.

3. It's a fact, unwealthy areas are dirtier than wealthy areas and Montreal contains more unwealthy areas than wealthy areas...

4. The proverb "Dont Sh*t Where You Sleep" may be applied to all who comes to Montreal only to party and they go back sleeps in their clean-cut subburbs...